Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering since serena doesnt enter many tournaments as long as you wins them she can be number 1 rite? or can justine beat her by the ranking if she enters every freaking tournement like hingis

·
Registered
84 Posts
The ranking system counts the best 17 tournament results only (including the mandatory GS points and Miami), it doesn't matter if you play every single tournament.

Justine has more than 3000 points over Serena right now. A Tier I roughly weighs 4XX points, and a GS weighs 1000 points.

·
29,998 Posts
Serena has 2 Grand Slams to collect loads of points :drool: Also the whole clay season. The whole indoor season. She can do better at the US Open and play well over the US Summer hard court series.
She'll be in the top 10 by no time hopefully ;)

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Well she'll have to hope Justine falters big time at the slams and she wins them all!.... 'Cause we all know Serena's gonna play the minimal amount of tournaments required :lol: It is possible though, maybe her and Justine could have a world number 1 shoot off at the YEC :confused: How exciting would that be! :drool:

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I would think Justine has tons of Grand Slam points to defend since she was in the finals of all 4!
Serena has not points to defend at all and go nowhere but UP UP UP.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
I'd say as a rough guess if Serena won Charleston, RG, Wimbledon, the US Open and whatever other tournies she might possibly play in between, she'd be right there at #1. Charleston may be almost in the bag at this point with the key withdrawals!

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
I just hope Serena doesn't go off chasing points for the sake of rankings. She just needs to play the slams and key events, take care of herself and build on her legend. The rankings are HIGHLY overrated, imho.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
She doesn't defend points until early August, and she doesn't defend many.

If she has a good clay season (by Serena standards, that's a title on clay and deep at the French, maybe a win) and plays at her standard level on grass, she's back in the top five. I can see her being in the top 5 at year end with ten events to her name.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
jus do well consistently and u will be knocking on the door in no time

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
I just hope Serena doesn't go off chasing points for the sake of rankings. She just needs to play the slams and key events, take care of herself and build on her legend. The rankings are HIGHLY overrated, imho.
Everybody says that when their favorite isn't #1, you know. ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
i'm in agreement, rankings are highly overrated. just focus on winning and the rankings will take care of themselves.

·
Registered
472 Posts
She doesn't defend points until early August, and she doesn't defend many.

If she has a good clay season (by Serena standards, that's a title on clay and deep at the French, maybe a win) and plays at her standard level on grass, she's back in the top five. I can see her being in the top 5 at year end with ten events to her name.
With 10 events in her name, I'll be realllllllllly shocked if she doesn't top the rank.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Well this year you get more points off GSs and Tier 1 so Justine doesnt have too many points to defend off her finals..:wavey:

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
HA! Everyone knows that Serena's comeback band wagon is about to be derailed by a 5'11" Russian speed bump . . . no, wait, she's not just a bump in Serena's road . . .

uh, Serena's comeback is about to be torpedoed by . . . no, torpedos blow themselves up too--which is actually a good description of her serve--

let's see, Serena's comeback is about to run into a blonde buzzsaw--ah, shit, after those last two matches with TOB NOBODY is going to take threats about blondes very seriously . . .

Ah, hell. I give up. But I had to try.

Reactions: Mightymirza

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
We all know Serena isn't going to play a GANG of tournaments just to obtain the ranking. Serena always says the Slams first and then the ranking will follow. This is key for her considering her knee problems.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
HA! Everyone knows that Serena's comeback band wagon is about to be derailed by a 5'11" Russian speed bump . . . no, wait, she's not just a bump in Serena's road . . .

uh, Serena's comeback is about to be torpedoed by . . . no, torpedos blow themselves up too--which is actually a good description of her serve--

let's see, Serena's comeback is about to run into a blonde buzzsaw--ah, shit, after those last two matches with TOB NOBODY is going to take threats about blondes very seriously . . .

*clears throat* What's the h2h again vs. these two players 4-0 or 5-0 Serena. I can't remember, refresh my memory ;)

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts

There are a lot of people who can stop Serena, Max. Emeril Lagasse, Rachael Ray, Wolfgang Puck, Glada DeLaurentiis..... ;)

·
Premium Member
40,059 Posts
Well she has RG and Wimbly with NOTHING to defend, not to mention Three Tier I clay events (at 300 points for a win) each, as well as her 4rd US Open performance (which she will most definately improve upon), the WHOLE fall HC season, and the YEC. If she doesn't end the year in the top 3, I'll be shocked :eek:

With a full season under her belt, she should EASILY be #1

1 - 20 of 46 Posts