Tennis Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I have been thinking about this a lot lately. If the FINALS were best of 5 and the rest of the tourney was best of 3, then I genuinely think she’d be at 30 now. Best of 5 allows for a player to have more breathing room, more time to get into the match and to troubleshoot. With best of 3, if you lose a set it must start to feel like a whirlwind.

Her Kerber match in Australia and her Bianca match at USO are two off the top of my head that could have totally been turned around had it been best of 5. Same with her Osaka USO match.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I'm wondering is because Serena is a POWER player who basically bullies most players off the court with her fast serve and explosive forehands. Serena is NOT an endurance player and does not have the conditioning of some other players on tour which has become quite obvious in several matches. Most recent example is Wimbledon where Halep ran Serena all over the court.......everyone knows that Halep's only weapon is her legs. Halep doesn't have a big serve, she doesn't have power, she doesn't have height and isn't great at the net......she's just got desire, good shot placement and legs. Osaka also wore out Serena and so did Camila Giorgi. These are all examples of players who are more physically fit than Serena and could most likely outlast her in a 5 set match.

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,113 Posts
Ummm...... LOL.

Serena's conditioning was elite before her pregnancy. You can count on one hand the amount of slam matches she has lost due to poor stamina. (Hint: 4 of the 5 occurred in 2005/06 and the other was in her first major after her pulmonary embolism.)

Serena would've handled BO5 better than most women on tour. She gets cheap points with her serve and has always been efficient in Week 1 of the majors. The top women with physically taxing gamestyles, who often get drawn into grindfests vs subpar players, are the ones who would struggle more with a transition to BO5.

Serena's doubles career would've suffered a bit and that's it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts