• 6-10

• 11-15

• 16-20

• 21-23

• More than 23 - The GOAT

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
Henin, Radwanska, Hingis Court, Navratilova, Lisicki, Osaka, Kenin, Halep, Vinci.
323 Posts
She'll be GOAT. There was nothing about her game that said she was playing above herself in an unsustainable way. She's already very good on grass and hard. Her serve will improve. We are looking at a monster. Humble yourselves before the Queen.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Certainly 10+(barring injuries or burnout issues) and 20 possible.

One has to evaluate competitive advantage. you are at the very top because you possess some consistent advantage versus the rest.

As far i can predict, i can see Emma's return of serve as the force multiplier. she broke down way more senior opponents in NY and she is going to break down opponents again and again. Even a big server like Sakkari knew if she didn't get the first serve in she was dead meat more often not. That will be the fear she will consistently strike into her opponents right from the word go.

I also can see her coming back from match points down for this reason. Just like Djokovic has won some important matches vs Federer from matchpoints down.

Taking the ball early is another key USP. it will do a lot of damage to many opponents.

Backhand is lethal . Court positioning and balance impeccable.

Its also possible another well rounder talent emerges and denies her some of the titles. That will be difference between 10 and 20. But i am not betting on it.

It will also be interesting how she matches up against Osaka, Swiatek, Fernandez, Tauson. That will give a better idea of how their strengths and wekanesses stack up against each other. but i am betting that her key weapons plus lack of a significant weakness are big and unique enough to win many a title despite the presence of other formidable talents..

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
You name Coco but you know Iga has the same weak fh problems. Oure girls should take lessons from the Master herself 😊
That's true for Iga - regarding the faster surfaces.

But I believe those flaws (both for Coco and Iga) may be fixed in the future. It's not a given but it isn't impossible either.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Anyone that can win 20 consecutive sets as a teen qualifier in only their 2nd major has to be viewed as more than a one slam wonder. What Emma has achieved these past 3 weeks is not in the same stratosphere as Ostapenko, for example.

But I went 2-5....safe option but there is just so much depth in the WTA it's hard for 1 person to dominate all the majors like in the past. But I do think there's potential to win even more given the fact she's still so young and hasn't reached her peak yet.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
You name Coco but you know Iga has the same weak fh problems. Oure girls should take lessons from the Master herself 😊
Swiatek doesn’t have the same FH problems. Sadly Coco’s are much worse and she needs to spend the next few months trying to fix it. If nothing has changed by the time the Australian Open season comes I will be very doubtful she wins a slam in the next few years.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
That's true for Iga - regarding the faster surfaces.

But I believe those flaws (both for Coco and Iga) may be fixed in the future. It's not a given but it isn't impossible either.
Of course they could fixed it. Take a lesson from queen Emma and everything will be ok. But it’s not something we can ignore it is a problem

·
Registered
387 Posts
If she continues to want to improve her game and fitness, she could easily get 6+ slams. Her serve is good but she can still add a few more MPH to it. Her RoS is world-class, and that's the thing which could be her point of different going forward. Not many women are that aggressive off the RoS, and that'll earn her a few double-faults just through her presence alone. Her backhand DTL is another world-class shot, and her CC one is extremely good. Forehand is generally solid but it can be worked upon to make it another very good shot.

I noticed today she had a bit of trouble dealing with Fernandes when she just bunted the ball back into the mid-court, and struggled to put them away, so she'll need to develop a ruthlessness to pick up a few more cheap points. Her net game is OK but can be improved. Drop shot quality is a bit of a weakness, but can be improved with the right help. She's a superb mover, but I still think she can be better. Athleticism is amazing.

Her mental game is already superb, which is the most important thing imo. If more of the top women (Bencic, Sabalenka, Sakkri, Pliskova) had this, they'd be slam winners already. It's also the hardest thing to coach.

Her performance ceiling is potentially massive.

·
Registered
85,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Oh since she's now ranked at 51, her chances to meet top players will be increased in WTA tour and slams. So it would be interesting how she'd fare playing the top players in the early rounds. She only played two top 20 ranked players in her 10 matches, with the highest ranked player was Belinda Bencic at #12 (who just won Tokyo Olympics gold medal).

·
Registered
7 Posts
If she continues to want to improve her game and fitness, she could easily get 6+ slams. Her serve is good but she can still add a few more MPH to it. Her RoS is world-class, and that's the thing which could be her point of different going forward. Not many women are that aggressive off the RoS, and that'll earn her a few double-faults just through her presence alone. Her backhand DTL is another world-class shot, and her CC one is extremely good. Forehand is generally solid but it can be worked upon to make it another very good shot.

I noticed today she had a bit of trouble dealing with Fernandes when she just bunted the ball back into the mid-court, and struggled to put them away, so she'll need to develop a ruthlessness to pick up a few more cheap points. Her net game is OK but can be improved. Drop shot quality is a bit of a weakness, but can be improved with the right help. She's a superb mover, but I still think she can be better. Athleticism is amazing.

Her mental game is already superb, which is the most important thing imo. If more of the top women (Bencic, Sabalenka, Sakkri, Pliskova) had this, they'd be slam winners already. It's also the hardest thing to coach.

Her performance ceiling is potentially massive.
Yeah completely agree with all your points about what she needs to improve on, like you say her mental game is truly phenomenal

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh since she's now ranked at 51, her chances to meet top players will be increased in WTA tour and slams. So it would be interesting how she'd fare playing the top players in the early rounds. She only played two top 20 ranked players in her 10 matches, with the highest ranked player was Belinda Bencic at #12 (who just won Tokyo Olympics gold medal).
Martina Navratilova said yesterday that only injury can prevent Raducanu from becoming "a hall of famer".

Maybe you are a better judge of a player though.

She's ranked 23 by the way.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
That Osaka thread after she won her 4th slam people were saying 10+ and I was saying calm down and 5-7.
The WTA is potentially entering it’s best period since 1999-2005. This final between two teenagers and Raducanu’s victory can make other young players envious and motivate them. Halep, Kerber, Svitolina and Pliskova will be phased out within the next few years. The top players within the next 5 years should be Barty, Osaka, Andreescu, Swiatek, Raducanu, Gauff, Fernandez, Anisimova and one or two yet to emerge.

Raducanu just has many great qualities. Her movement and defence is/will be as good or better than Halep but she is more aggressive and more powerful. Her return and backhand is/will be as good or better than Azarenka but she is much more athletic. She has a rare very good second serve. She’s smart. Most importantly she is clutch and cool as a cucumber.
Even with those names I mentioned I’m predicting 3-5 at least. 7+ depends on how good the likes of Gauff, Andreescu, Swiatek and others yet to emerge become.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
38,648 Posts
I remember people being confident Ostapenko is a 7+ slam winner after the French. There’s really no guarantees in women’s tennis.
I can confirm suspicions that I was not one of those people.

I think Emma does stand a chance at 5+ slams based on her natural ability and the fact that she seems to have a very skilled and protective support team. I wouldn't expect her to win a lot of matches over the next few months. It will take time for the magnitude of this result to sink in. But I'd expect she will be playing to a top 10 standard again by next year. And if that proves to be the case, she is likely to be winning several more slams over the course of her career.

·
Registered
8,716 Posts
No idea. She hasn't played many tournaments for me to make an educated forecast about her achievements. A few weeks ago she was getting routined by scrubs and now she is a grand slam champion. Peak WTA.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Before I make any judgement the main factor for Emma is how she handles power players. As of now, all the top youngsters have bigger shots (Osaka, Swiatek, Andreescu, Barty, Sabalenka). It's not like Radwanska and the rest but I saw some vulnerability during the Rogers match and also with Zhang when she lost because she let her dictate.

If she can handle the pace and make things uncomfortable for those other players she'll do really well. She's been improving and getting stronger every tournament so far.

·
Registered
117,165 Posts
I will guess 25-30. It depends what Djokovic does. If he gets 27 Emma will get 28. She will be motivated to pass him

·
Registered
77 Posts
Its far too early to say - we need to see how she does on the tour week in and week out.

Bar Leylah - and that was in juniors - she had not played any of the players she faced over the last two weeks before. And from now on she won't be the underdog qualifier who no one expects to win. Will they find a way to beat her when they play week after week.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts