Tennis Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many have done it??
And how many at the same time?
I know Kim hasn't done it simultaneously but it is still a fantastic achievement and I'm wondering how many players have done it previously :confused:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I believe Billie Jean just missed out on the computer rankings and Evert has never held that position.

Only:
Martina Navratilova
Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario
Martina Hingis
Lindsay Davenport

has accomplished this feat. it's too bad Kim missed out by one week;) blame it to her doubles partner Sugiyama hehe! (maybe Kim can play with a different partner just for one tournament just so to get that one week at #1 in doubles and singles LoL!).

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
So who has done it simulataneously?

·
Registered
11,975 Posts
Mathematically speaking, Kim has done it, because after yesterday's match, she was 1st in singles like in doubles ;)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I believe that Arantxa was no. 1 in singles and doubles at the same time, but maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong... :confused:

And that mathematically being no.1 in both for Kim is ... :lol:

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Hingiswinsthis said:
I believe Billie Jean just missed out on the computer rankings and Evert has never held that position.

Only:
Martina Navratilova
Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario
Martina Hingis
Lindsay Davenport

has accomplished this feat. it's too bad Kim missed out by one week;) blame it to her doubles partner Sugiyama hehe! (maybe Kim can play with a different partner just for one tournament just so to get that one week at #1 in doubles and singles LoL!).
That's rude ;)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Hingiswinsthis said:

Only:
Martina Navratilova
Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario
Martina Hingis
Lindsay Davenport

If Suarez/Ruano Pascual fail to take the Toronto title, Kim will be #1 in both rankings next week :D

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well actually I meant how many have got to both, not simultaneously but just held them both at some point throughout their careers, which Kim has

So Kim is the 5th to have held both (unsimultaneously) :confused:

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Navratilova
Sanchez-Vacario
Hingis
Davenport

All four held the number one singles and doubles ranking simultaneously, which I think is a remarkable achievement.

It means among other things that these top singles players played enough doubles to get to the very top of that ranking, too.

Notice, nobody on the men's tour does anything like that. Most top ten male players don't even play doubles.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I think those four ladies are the only ones ever to hold both number one rankings.

Graf, Evert, Seles and Capriati never played enough doubles to get there. Venus and Serena haven't either.

Austin possibly did. I don't know, but I have never heard it said she was ever ranked number one in doubles. But she was a good doubles player, despite her small size.

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
steffi was number 6 I think, not bad for a person who at that time stated that she prefered singles she had the court for herself then

(I think later when she only played once in a while with friends, she enjoyed it more well at least the mixed with henri leconte)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.