Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been really interested in the several PBS TV series that explore life in the past. Two of the ones that I had a chance to follow were the Manor House which documented manor life in Edwardian England and the 1900 House which documented a middle class family living in England at the turn of the century.

What was fascinating was the fact that after enjoying the modern conveniences and rights of the 20th century, a couple of the people in both series practically had a nervous breakdown after only two days. :eek:

Of course in the Manor House, the top honcho who was being served by the upstairs and downstairs servants took to it like a duck to water because everyone was waiting on his lazy ass.

The top dog wanted everyone to play by the rules but he tried to avoid the diet of the time. I loved it when the chef cooked a pig's head and they were sitting there trying to eat with the pig staring them down. :D

·
Registered
18,948 Posts
Oh hell no!
I'd probably die from dehydration...too scared to drink the water. God only knows what was in it back then :eek:

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GBFH said:
Oh hell no!
I'd probably die from dehydration...too scared to drink the water. God only knows what was in it back then :eek:
GB, the water seemed to be OK. However in the Manor House, the downstairs maids only bathed once or twice per week. :eek:

But they were expected to wash under their arms and the bottom of their feet and I assume other more "intimate" areas. :eek:

But it was funny to see that even though in the 1900 house they had an actual outdoor toilet that could flush, toilet paper had not yet been invented. So they would have the newspaper hanging overhead for use. OUCH!

·
Registered
18,948 Posts
BigTennisFan said:
GB, the water seemed to be OK. However in the Manor House, the downstairs maids only bathed once or twice per week. :eek:

But they were expected to wash under their arms and the bottom of their feet and I assume other more "intimate" areas. :eek:

But it was funny to see that even though in the 1900 house they had an actual outdoor toilet that could flush, toilet paper had not yet been invented. So they would have the newspaper hanging overhead for use. OUCH!
ewwwwwwwwwwwww :eek:
No way I could live without a shower, and some sweet-smelling soap.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
GBFH said:
Or my A/C.
I'm a creature of comfort.

me too... i hate hot weather.

i couldnt do it... im a modern girlie... camping and backpacking are enough for me, thank you very much.

·
Registered
18,948 Posts
decemberlove said:
me too... i hate hot weather.

i couldnt do it... im a modern girlie... camping and backpacking are enough for me, thank you very much.
lol, I consider 'roughing it' staying in a cheap hotel with no cable.

·
stubborn procrastinator
109,543 Posts
No way!! If I can't take a shower in the morning, forget about it. ;)

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
GBFH said:
lol, I consider 'roughing it' staying in a cheap hotel with no cable.

haha

i go from two extremes... ill either go camping or stay at a real nice hotel... thou i prefer renting a cute lil cabin for, um, privacy reasons :devil:

i know i would never last in the past thou... they ate some fucking nasty food.

·
Registered
18,948 Posts
decemberlove said:
haha

i go from two extremes... ill either go camping or stay at a real nice hotel... thou i prefer renting a cute lil cabin for, um, privacy reasons :devil:

lol! privacy reasons? that's a nice way to put it.

ugh, don't even talk about it!

·
Banned
10,399 Posts
decemberlove said:
haha

Of course you'd last. You'd grow up in that life style and culture, so you'd get used to it ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts