Tennis Forum banner

How likely will there be another All-Williams Grand Slam Final?

• Highly likely and on all surfaces!

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • Moderately likely OR likely only on certain surfaces

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • Not likely at all. There's a new era in women's tennis

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not too long ago, whenever the Williams Sisters were placed on opposite sides of the draw, we'd hear a near prediction of an All-Williams Final. This speculation was justified, given the spectacular performance of the WS at the Grand Slams in the past (meeting 5 times in a row!)

However, and given the recent great performance of other players--particularly the Russians, how likely do you believe an All-Williams final will occur should the WS land on opposite sides of the draw?

I'll give my response later.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the vote is pretty polarized. I'm surprised that there are some who don't think it's likely (this is a serious poll) ;)

·
Banned
3,823 Posts
If they get serious and start raising their level of play, especially Venus, they will be in as many as they want...

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
I think most likely on certain surfaces....hardcourts of the U.s.open and wimbledon.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VeNuS#1LoVa said:
If they get serious and start raising their level of play, especially Venus, they will be in as many as they want...
It's an interesting question when you think about it. There's no question that Serena is still not at her best, but it would take both Sisters to pull it off. I am confident that Venus can regain her form although others may not share my opinion.

For example, there's a poll on Yahoo! Sports that asks who's the greatest women's player in the world. The poll began right after Serena lost on Saturday, and it only lists 3 choices: Serena, Maria, and Justine. It doesn't surprise me that most people voted for Serena as being the best in the world. It does surprise me, however, that Venus wasn't even mentioned.

It's really frustrating to see Venus being dissed like that, but I won't change my signature.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bandabou said:
I think most likely on certain surfaces....hardcourts of the U.s.open and wimbledon.
That's totally fair. But I voted for highly likely on all surfaces. So many people bring up the rising Russians and Sprem, etc. What they don't realize is that most of those Russians won't turn out to be as good as Sharapova. What this means is that the Williams Sisters will simply have to return to 100% and then, if it's still necessary, figure out counter strategies to the few rising talents. Let's face it, the women's tour has never had a whole lot of depth. It's just a matter of time before the WS pick back up their winning ways.

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
I think it's highly likely at Wimbledon and in the US open.

Rebound Ace quite likely and clay unlikely, although I'm sure we'll see the sisters in the French open final again.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I think the answer has to be other. For whatever reasons Venus and Serena are not fully match fit nor focused. I am not convinced that both are really 100% into tennis at the moment or ever will be. In the long run it's entirely their choice of course but if they do decide to commit fully to the Tour then I believe there will certainly be more Williams' sisters Slam finals.

·
Banned
6,222 Posts
I nall honesty if the williams both play another 7 or 8 years we could see maybe 2 or 3 more all williams finals and ewach will probobly win a couple more Grand Slams each with a greater possibiblty that serena could win 3 or 4 more Slams.. Just my opinion though :D :D

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
it's going to be very hard for both of them to be plying so well at the same time that they both force their way into a Grand Slam Final. To do this is a MAJOR achievement, and is made more difficult now by the rising standard of the opposition.

Despite the wild cards who occasionally defeat a Williams in an early round, (Sprem, Schett, Bovina, Shaughnessy) we have a growing number of players who have shown they can defeat them later on...

Sharapova, Henin, Clijsters, Capriati, Davenport, Petrova, Myskina, Mauresmo, Dementieva etc.

So, All Williams finals are growing much less likely

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
i think us open and wimbledon are there best chances to both get to the final but i wouldnt be surprised if they do it at AO, compared to the other slams they havent really done all that well at AO so i think it is something that will really motivate them to do well there.

if both are playing well its possible but otherwise it would be very tough.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
I can see it on all surfaces, but they need a good draw. (for a start, they will no longer be 1 and 2 for at least another year) so they need to be on opposite side. Secondly Justine and Kim is not gonna go away. Russians are gaining confidence, and potentially we will be seeing many tough quarterfinals or even fourth round matches.

Clay will be their biggest challenge, grass is still their domain IMO, and although I have been proven wrong the last three rounds, I still think Maria will have a problem defending next year if belgians and williams are back.

US Open will be a big test for them. With Kim not gonna be there, Justine Jennifer, Lindsay, Amelie, Anastasia and Maria stand on their way, these players are all beatable at US Open. Let's wait and see for american hardcourt season and we will be able to tell when the tournament start.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
dont forget kuznetsova and sprem and maybe even hantuchova.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Maybe but they have to become more dedicated and injury free. I'm sure both are fired up and know they need something added to their game (new coach, fitness and more matches).

I'm sure certain parts of the tennis world want them to be over and are celebrating big time.

·
49,001 Posts
Many people are just trying to hurry up and rush the Williams Sisters out on this board. They are really hoping that their era is over, its more wishful thinking than an actual fact-based conclusion. This new breed of Russians, only Sharapova can play with the Williamses on all surfaces, Myskina, Petrova, Zvonareva, Dementieva, all of these women are still second tier players. Maria's Wimbledon win automatically put her in the highest tier level on the WTA, but I predict all of her supporters will have a few letdowns this summer on the hardcourts when they see how Maria still has a lot of learning to do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts