Tennis Forum banner

How long will Wozniacki hold the no.1 ranking for?

• till after Dubai/Doha

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • till after IW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • till after Miami

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • into the clay season and beyond

Votes: 11 37.9%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Wozniacki's maiden grand slam win, she now has a 250 pt buffer over no.2 Simona Halep. However we know she made F of Dubai/Doha while Halep did not play these tournaments in 2017. Wozniacki also reached QF and F of Indian Wells and Miami respectively. Realistically Simona Halep has the chance to regain the world no.1 ranking in late February provided she has strong performances at Dubai/Doha (or Wozniacki performs poorly), or March (QF best result at either IW/Miami). After this the focus is on Simona during the clay season where she has Madrid W, Rome F and RG F.

1 Caroline Wozniacki 7965
2 Simona Halep 7715
3 Elina Svitolina 6085
4 Garbine Muguruza 5690
5 Karolina Pliskova 5445
6 Jelena Ostapenko 4901
7 Caroline Garcia 4495
8 Venus Williams 4278
9 Angelique Kerber 3031
10 Kristina Mladenovic 2935

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hopefully a little while. Like, to the next slam, maybe?

For that, she is going to have win and not get "fat" off her maiden slam(which isn't easy it seems).

·
Registered
558 Posts
I hope until at least after Dubai and Doha. I think she only needs to perform well at one of those events and decent at the other.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Thank you Caro for proving all these delusional "Pushniacki" haters wrong. I was right about you all along. YEC, GS and #1 beating the #1.

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
I think she is going to hold on to it now! Of course it wouldn't surprise me if she lost it for a bit and then got it back for clay season moving into Summer HC's. I hope Caro doens't slump, we'll see.

·
Registered
14,481 Posts
Is the poll missing "She will lose the #1 position after Dubai/Doha"?

That's a lot of points Woz has to defend there (890 from 2 finals) against Simona's zero (or her 100 from St Petersburg??). Simona usually only plays the P5 event on that mini Middle East swing but she has done very, very well there, winning Doha in 2014 & Dubai in 2015.

·
Registered
448 Posts
With Wozniacki's maiden grand slam win, she now has a 250 pt buffer over no.2 Simona Halep. However we know she made F of Dubai/Doha while Halep did not play these tournaments in 2017. Wozniacki also reached QF and F of Indian Wells and Miami respectively. Realistically Simona Halep has the chance to regain the world no.1 ranking in late February provided she has strong performances at Dubai/Doha (or Wozniacki performs poorly), or March (QF best result at either IW/Miami). After this the focus is on Simona during the clay season where she has Madrid W, Rome F and RG F.

1 Caroline Wozniacki 7965
2 Simona Halep 7715
3 Elina Svitolina 6085
4 Garbine Muguruza 5690
5 Karolina Pliskova 5445
6 Jelena Ostapenko 4901
7 Caroline Garcia 4495
8 Venus Williams 4278
9 Angelique Kerber 3031
10 Kristina Mladenovic 2935
It will come down to how many of the clay court tourneys each plays and who fares better.

·
Registered
114,485 Posts
With YEC & AO, she should stay 1 or 2 for a while. Halep is a tremendous player and I expect she will take it back at some point
Having these 2 go back & forth is the best thing for the tour, they are the stars carrying this tour into its golden age (also thanks to Li Na) with Perform media deal and Shenzhen, the money is rolling in and these 2 make deep runs in almost every big WTA event

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
I guess at least until Miami, probably even into clay. Quite doubt Halep will turn up for the Middle East swing considering she was in hospital after the AO final. She would need lots of time to recover both mentally and physically. Not like Wozniacki would start a streak or something, but she won't have anyone to challenge her for at least 2 months IMO and Muguruza will be still sleeping until RG. Pliskova and Svitolina might have a chance to win something, but the gap is too big.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I guess at least until Miami, probably even into clay. Quite doubt Halep will turn up for the Middle East swing considering she was in hospital after the AO final. She would need lots of time to recover both mentally and physically. Not like Wozniacki would start a streak or something, but she won't have anyone to challenge her for at least 2 months IMO and Muguruza will be still sleeping until RG. Pliskova and Svitolina might have a chance to win something, but the gap is too big.
Nah in less than 2 weeks Halep will be fresh as a daisy and more hungry than a lioness who skipped 2 meals

She's a beast from an athletic standpoint ATM but was unlucky to roll over the ankle and play a final in terrible heat and facing added fatigue from previous matches

The fact that she almost won it in these conditions should tell you everything you need to know about her conditioning

·
Registered
14,481 Posts
Nah in less than 2 weeks Halep will be fresh as a daisy and more hungry than a lioness who skipped 2 meals

She's a beast from an athletic standpoint ATM but was unlucky to roll over the ankle and play a final in terrible heat and facing added fatigue from previous matches

The fact that she almost won it in these conditions should tell you everything you need to know about her conditioning
Yeah, with a week's rest and plenty of fluids she should be fine. It's not like she was in a critical condition as far as we understand. Enforced rest will give her muscles a chance to heal as well.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
Is Woz really playing St. Petersburg this week? It figures. Once a vulture, always a vulture.

I thought Simona would probably reclaim #1 before the clay season, but now I can see her skipping the ME swing entirely. Probably for the best, as she shouldn't push herself just to get back to #1 for a few meaningless weeks. She had her chance to really earn it, and failed again.

·
Registered
234 Posts

This image tells you everything you need to know about the chances of any girl surpassing Wozniacki for the No. 1 spot this year. She literally put Simona in the hospital! I hate to say it but Wozniacki is taking pushing to levels we never thought possible before.

·
Registered
234 Posts

This image tells you everything you need to know about the chances of any girl surpassing Wozniacki for the No. 1 spot this year. She literally put Simona in the hospital! I hate to say it but Wozniacki is taking pushing to levels we never thought possible before.
This just literally made my day :haha:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Is Woz really playing St. Petersburg this week? It figures. Once a vulture, always a vulture.

I thought Simona would probably reclaim #1 before the clay season, but now I can see her skipping the ME swing entirely. Probably for the best, as she shouldn't push herself just to get back to #1 for a few meaningless weeks. She had her chance to really earn it, and failed again.
She will...

Halep has 565 points to defend until the clay season begins while Caroline has 1755 to defend.
With only 250 points between these two I just can't see it happen that Caroline holds it, but she will for sure get it back in the clay season.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
No.1 chop and change between Simona and Caro until at least end of grass season likely.

Rumoured Middle East wild card (maybe two?) for Azarenka - Caro's 2015 nemesis but three years is a long time! R1 match up and chunk of points lost?!

Can see Simona going back to No. 1 seeding for IW.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts