Tennis Forum banner

How long will Australian's Ashleigh Barty stay as World No 1?

• Less than 5 Weeks

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • 5 to 10 Weeks

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • 10-15 Weeks

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • 15-20 Weeks

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • More than 20 Weeks

Votes: 24 43.6%
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that Ashleigh Barty will ascend to the WTA's Top Ranked Player on Monday my Question how long will she stay there?

·
Registered
That Woman
4,477 Posts
:lol:

Well, she said in her victory interview that her celebration will be driving down to Eastbourne, so she seems pretty committed to keeping her run of form going.

Bertens, Pliskova, and Osaka can all overtake her with a big Wimbledon, and so can Kvitova if Barty loses in the first or second round, I think.

But Bertens, Osaka, and Pliskova all have ~1000 more points to defend between now and year end than Barty, so if they don't take it at Wimbledon, it'll be rather difficult to do so unless they really run the table on US hardcourts or in Asia.

And that's dependent a bit on Barty doing not a lot else.

I'm going to guess she holds it until the US Open.

·
Registered
20,503 Posts
A very long time. Compared to Osaka she definitely has the better package at all. She's on earth, consistent, is an allrounder, has found the right pace for her game on all surfaces and seems mentally not to be bothered at all because of her first GS victory.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
37,019 Posts
A long time. It might not be continuous but I would expect Ash to rack up somewhere in the region of 200 weeks at number one over the course of her career.

·
Premium Member
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A very long time. Compared to Osaka she definitely has the better package at all. She's on earth, consistent, is an allrounder, has found the right pace for her game on all surfaces and seems mentally not to be bothered at all because of her first GS victory.
So you say she will be more than 20 Weeks World No 1? I disagree. At some Point reality will come back to her. We've seen it too many times with Kerber, Pliskova, Muguruza and now Osaka.

She will not swing always this freely as she did the last few weeks.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
So you say she will be more than 20 Weeks World No 1? I disagree. At some Point reality will come back to her. We've seen it too many times with Kerber, Pliskova, Muguruza and now Osaka.

Uhm look at her points she’s defending vs everyone else. If she has a decent run in Wimbledon, the year is sealed.

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
At least till the US Open if she has a good Wimbledon (QF/SF minimum). All her direct competitors for the spot are not as good on grass as she is, Kerber can't get any more points because she's defending. If she also has a decent hardcourt season at least till the WTA Finals, where she has no points to defend so she has good carts for a year end number 1.

Yes, being on Earth is always a pre for playing tennis, hihi. :eek:h:

·
Registered
20,503 Posts

Of course it will not be so easy for all times. But compared to Kerber, Pliskova etc she could hold her level in the tournament right after her major title in Paris. Also that she was able to win a slam on her seemingly worst surface shows that she has better looks to keep the number one for a longer time than the other number one players before.

Maybe its not that wise though to play Eastbourne next week as well as she could get too tired for Wimbledon. We'll see it.

·
Registered
That Woman
4,477 Posts

The only detail I'd ask you to consider, on points earned in 2019 alone, she'd be the world #6 on the 52 week ranking, just 40 points behind #5 Kerber.

Given the relatively low threshold required to reach #1 since 2017, she's easily the best positioned player to be #1 for a long stretch.

Or put another way, in 2019 points she's about 2400 points away from 2018's YE #1 point total. Given you get 375 just for going Full Bouchard at the YEC, that means she's 2000 points away, with 2 slams, 1 PM, and 3 P5s to play.

That's roughly what she's defending from last year, and she did good but not great from Wimbledon onwards.

Now, I'm pretty sure the 2019 YE #1 will require more than what Halep totaled last season, if only because Halep didn't play the YEC, but you see my point.

It's a long way to YE #1 but she appears to be in a better position than Halep was in either 2017 or 2018.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The longer the worse. We're approaching the end of female tennis as a movement. I see no combined anymore in the next five years if this is the trend with Barty as the new ruler. Just a cool girl can save us all. I hope it's AA starting from W.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Osaka still has the burden of people expecting here to become the next serena or whatever. Barty does not have that, eventhough she is young and could easily win a couple of more slams. So i guess she will handle the pressure of #1 better than osaka.

·
Registered
That Woman
4,477 Posts
Osaka still has the burden of people expecting here to become the next serena or whatever. Barty does not have that, eventhough she is young and could easily win a couple of more slams. So i guess she will handle the pressure of #1 better than osaka.
It also seems like Barty has both already accepted what it means to be a public figure in a way Osaka hasn't, and also that Barty seems less interested in the unrelated endorsement portfolio. Certainly she doesn't have time to consider it until the grass season is over, but I doubt we'll see her with a packaged noodle contract or whatever else Osaka has signed since the US Open.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts