Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Number 1 Russian?
As impressive a win over Lindsay is, she's not getting to number 1 anytime soon. But obviously, she has a good shot a become number one in mother Russia. Myskina has a lot of pride, and always plays her best when her compatriots start to upstage her. Dementieva doesn't want to look like an ebarrasment, and Zvonareva is starting to play to her ability.

Sharapova, with the win over LD is now the number 4 Russian, behind Kuznetsova, Dementieva and Myskina.

When can she reach #1?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Myskina is way better. And if they played, Myskina would win because she can hit good shots, and chase all of Sharapova's shots down(unlike Davenport). Sharapova will not be the number 1 russian ever.

·
Don't mess with Texas!
5,728 Posts
By next wimbledon after Elena and Myskina lose their FO points. Then she will have to defend these finalist/winner points. :tape:

Reactions: selesfan87

·
Don't mess with Texas!
5,728 Posts
I don't think she will be reaching #1 anytime soon. This is ONE good result in a big tournament. Unless she starts blowing people off the court with the confidence I know she got from this match.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when I say #1, i mean in Russia.

Sharapova wont get into the top 4 with that game. And once everyone is healthy, not the top 5 or 6 either.

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
I think with good movement and who can withstand her power is gonna give her trouble. Don´t think she´s the best russian just yet.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
maybe if Myskina loses in first round at next RG. There is plenty of time to become russian no.1 and world no.1Lindasy had very bad moving today

·
Registered
435 Posts
mmcdonald said:
Sharapova wont get into the top 4 with that game. And once everyone is healthy, not the top 5 or 6 either.
Others have with "that game."

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
16,153 Posts
It will be a while .. it is obvious there are other Russians better than her ATM .. we'll just have to wait and see

·
Banned
2,910 Posts
Oh, I wish all the best to Masha, to become #2 in the world soon:kiss:
but to be #1 Russian only when Nastya:angel: retires:sad:

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gRaFiC said:
Others have with "that game."
right, but Justine has more variety, moves much better
same with Kim.
Serena hits harder, serves better, moves better
Venus hits harder, serves (well first serve) better, moves better
Thats the top 4.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I definitely think she will get to #1. She's improving very fast and climbing the rankings like hell. If she can improve her net game, movement, and add a slice here and there she will get there sooner than some may think.

·
Registered
962 Posts
She still needs more time to really develop her game. Once everyone is back and playing at the top of their game, I think that it will be difficult for Sharapova considering how good Henin-Hardenne, Clijsters, Venus and the top ten players are. She wants to be number one, but it will be hard for her to do so.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
mmcdonald said:
same with Kim.
Thats the top 4.
...Venus isn't in the top 4... :confused:

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
mmcdonald said:
when I say #1, i mean in Russia.

When *I * say #1, I mean #1. In the world. I give her a year.

:wavey:

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
mmcdonald said:
same with Kim.
Thats the top 4.
Nobody hits harder. Have you watched her play? And the angles she hits with that reverse forehand :eek:

:wavey:

·
Registered
932 Posts
For Maria right now she needs to be in the Top 4 to be the #1 Russian

1 - 20 of 31 Posts