Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious on to what you guys think, do you think Jelena's success over the last few months is here to stay? Will she carry it forward and keep getting better or is this just a really prolonged lucky streak? Personally, I think she's really turned a corner and is making her mark to stay as a top 10 player. I was a little skeptical in the beginning because after seeing the bad losses she was capable of (i.e. the 10 Loss Streak) I thought maybe she was just hot at the moment and eventually would hover around the top 20 like before. One could make a parallel with Roger's career, how when he was young he wasn't quite the player he is now. Not comparing them really in depth or anything (Though it certainly would be something if she dominated like Roger :p *crosses fingers*). But anyway, particularly because of her close matches with Justine, I think Jelena has really had such great success recently because she's gotten mentally tougher. This really was obvious at the end of the Venus match when she did a turn-around and rattled off 6 straight games (though to be fair Venus' errors helped her a little).

P.S. Sorry for the long post and if this topic has been covered before. But I thought it'd be interesting to discuss in light of her win over Venus and her continuing success here at Roland Garros.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
i think shes here to stay as long as she can finish this year in top 5 with some good wins

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
Very solid game. As long as the desire, fitness, and health is there she will be winning.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm sorry I'm not greatly impressed with Jankovic's game. She took advantage of weak fields during the claycourt season, it will be interesting to see how she performs the remainder of the season, especially when we venture into the faster courts.

·
Premium Member
28,151 Posts
She has pretty much been playing well sonce Rome last year and is getting better and better I cant see it stopping unless she gets an injury.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
I'm sorry I'm not greatly impressed with Jankovic's game. She took advantage of weak fields during the claycourt season, it will be interesting to see how she performs the remainder of the season, especially when we venture into the faster courts.
I'm not taking anything against Jankovic...but i'm not impressed with it either...I think she plays good solid tennis...and she good on clay. I could see her winning Roland Garros but I dont think she's a big threat..only when she stays solid and her opponent is rusty. I think with her beating Venus (who hasnt been playing well period) people kinda is putitn her on the hype trip...i wish her the best in until or if she see Serena...and with Jankovic beating Venus...I can about 110% guarantee Serena is going to really try to put it on her...I think those girls have pride not letting girls go through 2 Williams Sisters

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
Fair enough, but a semifinal at last year's US Open and beating Venus at Wimby surely attest to some fast-court skills?

I see her continuing her success and being a very consistent player. She may even win a slam (and it could be this one)...but...she will definitely have to work on certain aspects of her game if she wants to take it to the level of multi-slam winner in my opinion.

·
Registered
25,015 Posts
:confused:

Because beating players like V. Williams x2, Safina, Chakvetadze, Medina Garrigues, Dementieva, Schnyder, Kuznetsova means they were weak field. :rolleyes:

Henin was in one of the tournaments she won as well.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
It ends at Wimby. By the time she gets to Cali this summer, I think we'll see all the tourneys taking a toll on her mentally and physically. Also, more players will be lying in wait for her. Let's face it, there have been many players that have had these kinds of runs in the past only to never win a slam (at least yet) and see their ranking and stature plummet.

HOWEVER..., ;)

if she manages to win the French, all bets are off and I will gladly retract this statement.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I think Jankovic can be someone similar to Kuznetsova, hover around the top 5, make some slam finals. But not number one material. She's a great player but there are so many great players now, who knows?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I really dont know if Jelena could beat Henin, Serena and Sharapova to win big events. Maybe if they are injured and having an off day she could slip by.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts