Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
39,349 Posts
There are five favorites for Wimbledon to me:

Barty, Kvitova, Bencic, Konta, Riske.

I cannot see anyone else with a serious chance.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I was taking average numbers from odds checking website, there are plenty, not looking for highest number. And there is no way in hell Sevastova will ever win a Slam, and definitely not one played on grass, so there is no value for Sevastova at Wimbledon where she has won a grand total of 1 match and that was against fellow clay courter Putintseva.
I stop to use "No way" regarding to WTA players. Ashley did not pass in her previous 5 attempts 2nd round in RG & her stats were 2-5 for this tournament.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I stop to use "No way" regarding to WTA players. Ashley did not pass in her previous 5 attempts 2nd round in RG & her stats were 2-5 for this tournament.
Barty is totally different comparing to Sevastova because was expected to have a big Slam some time but not necessarily at Roland Garros, more like at Wimbledon because of her grass court skills. However, RG opened up big time with nobody of usual suspects being fit or interested of winning. Ash just took advantage of incredible circumstances. She did not face a single top 10 player and only 1 was inside top 30 which is BBB Keys. The are tougher paths to MM title wins. That's a luck you need to win big event on your worst surface. Not only that, she had a bye in the final against frozen Marketa. Even Konta made SF, she had 0-4 record before RG. That's how big of joke that tournament turned out to be.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
the bookies may have barty as favourite, but i doubt if she will make it to the second week.

there is so much more pressure on her to perform here then at paris, where there was no talk about her winning.
she has only ever won 2 singles matches at wimbledon in her career.

sure she's playing at her highest level ever, but i think there are other players who have a better chance.( i reckon at least 20 players would think they can win if they get a good draw. kerber, serena, pliskova, halep, bertens,among some)

i certainly will not be betting on anyone, i don't want to lose my money.

·
Registered
907 Posts

I’m too lazy too search the archives but aren’t you the same person who said there was no other possible RG final but Bertens vs. Halep? When will you learn????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,648 Posts
How important? Somewhere between "Not one squirrel's fart of an iota" and "Who gives a flying fuck?"

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
How important is it that the world #1 is also favorite for Wimbledon title?

In the bigger scheme of things....it is extremely unimportant I'd say. Global warming is important. Getting rid of nationalist governments is important. Having the number one seed at Wimbledon also be the bookmakers favourite? Much less so.

Having said that, it is nice that Ash is getting the respect that she deserves and it is fitting that Ash is the bookmakers favourite as she is playing better tennis than anyone else right now.
You have made a cock up in your post, global warming could be important, but hope you don't think it is anything to do with human activity, and keeping national governments is one of the very important world issues, one that humans need to do something about, stop the progressive open border promoting bastards

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I was, and thanks for making me feel even older than I am. I remember the days of Agassi and Pistol Pete (Pete Sampras) and I can tell you they never had the numbers that trio has today, as far as odds go. And in the women's game Steffi Graf was an absolute legend, she definitely had a couple under 2s. Serena was a lot less consistent in the first half of her career, it's the second half when she turned into the second coming of Graf. But if you put a gun to my head and force me to pick a women's tennis GOAT, in my book it has to be Graf, followed by Serena and then Evert. In the ATP the jury is still out, but right now I'd say Fed, Nadal and Djokovic, and I could totally see that turn into Djokovic, Nadal, Fed, or really any combination of those three. And that's the incredible part, that all three are playing at the same time. That just NEVER happens in any sport. the closest I can think of right now is Formula 1 with Hamilton (5 times Champion) and Vettel (4), which would have matched by now Schumacher's record (7) if not for the fact they are racing at the same time.

Two GOATS in a sport at the same time is ridiculous, three should be illegal! After those three retire the ATP will be in shambles for years.
Serena had several slams under 1 in this decade. I don't recall which exactly.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts

Riske surely is not even close. She might be doing well on grass but her game isn’t strong enough to beat 3+ top players / or in form players in a row.

Otherwise to your list i would be also watching out for Georges, Garcia, Vekic to make a run to second week.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Why does that even matter? I rather don't know who wins the tournament... In 2015 I basically stopped watching WTA because you basically knew who would win the Slams before the first point was played. I only started watching it again because randomly after a practise in my Tennisclub there was Serena vs. Vinci on.

·
Premium Member
39,349 Posts
Riske surely is not even close. She might be doing well on grass but her game isn’t strong enough to beat 3+ top players / or in form players in a row.

Otherwise to your list i would be also watching out for Georges, Garcia, Vekic to make a run to second week.
Riske appears more reliable than the likes of Goerges, Garcia, Bertens, Kontaveit, etc... for having the focus they all desperately need. Riske won Rosmalen with a string of wins over Muchova, Hercog, Alexandrova, Kudermetova and Bertens, all dangerous opponents, it means something because these days, the top 50 or top 100 is much more challenging than it used to be. The top 10 players can lose to any of them (especially when none of them are peaking), so my criteria for this one is focus and consistency, ability to go all the way without losing the plot.

Riske potentially belongs to the Bartoli or Vesnina league.

:hatoff:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Serena had several slams under 1 in this decade. I don't recall which exactly.
Under 2 you mean, you can't have under 1 in odds as that would mean you would lose money if you bet on Serena. And yes, I did mention she did have that several times this decade, the last time I can think of was USO 2015, when she was going for the calendar Slam after capturing AO, FO and WIM in the previous months.

But Graf is some next level stuff as she won 21 of her 22 slams over the course of only 10 years. No other player, male or female, was ever as dominant as Graf was over that period of 10 years. She was close to Nadal's odds, only it was for ALL THE SLAMS, not just the one she's supposed to be very good at, mainly because she was very good at all of them. Because her stats are so crazy it's easier to count the slams she missed than those she got, so in those 10 years she missed just 3 at Wimbledon. She missed only 2 AOs also (she didn't come to four, for those wondering why the math doesn't check out with 4 wins in 10 years), 5 French Opens (although she made it to the semifinals or higher in all of them, 3 of them were actually finals) and finally just 5 missed for the USO too (all quarterfinals or higher, and again 3 of them being finals).

I don't think we'll ever see anyone like her in the history of this sport, that level of dominance just seems impossible today. I mean think about it, of the 36 slams she played at in that decade she reached the quarterfinals or higher in 35, semifinals or higher in 33, final or higher in 29 and ultimately won 21.

In her final year on tour, 1999, she played 2 finals and won one at the FO.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Barty and Osaka officially confirmed as top seeds this morning.

Never been into the 2nd week before so good luck to them.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Under 2 you mean, you can't have under 1 in odds as that would mean you would lose money if you bet on Serena. And yes, I did mention she did have that several times this decade, the last time I can think of was USO 2015, when she was going for the calendar Slam after capturing AO, FO and WIM in the previous months.
No, I meant under 1. There are different systems of displaying odds. Some do not include your bet in the odds return. So under 1 assumes bet + odds return for a correct win.

·
Registered
211 Posts

But Graf is some next level stuff as she won 21 of her 22 slams over the course of only 10 years. No other player, male or female, was ever as dominant as Graf was over that period of 10 years. She was close to Nadal's odds, only it was for ALL THE SLAMS, not just the one she's supposed to be very good at, mainly because she was very good at all of them. Because her stats are so crazy it's easier to count the slams she missed than those she got, so in those 10 years she missed just 3 at Wimbledon. She missed only 2 AOs also (she didn't come to four, for those wondering why the math doesn't check out with 4 wins in 10 years), 5 French Opens (although she made it to the semifinals or higher in all of them, 3 of them were actually finals) and finally just 5 missed for the USO too (all quarterfinals or higher, and again 3 of them being finals).

I don't think we'll ever see anyone like her in the history of this sport, that level of dominance just seems impossible today. I mean think about it, of the 36 slams she played at in that decade she reached the quarterfinals or higher in 35, semifinals or higher in 33, final or higher in 29 and ultimately won 21.

In her final year on tour, 1999, she played 2 finals and won one at the FO.
Those stats are really impressive! You're probably right that we will not see such a dominant player again any time soon. The talent pool nowadays also seems to be bigger, which is probably why Serena should have the edge in any goat discussion. What she has achieved is really impressive as well, considering she is the only 10+ slam winner of the last two decades (and is still in contention for the slams).

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Riske appears more reliable than the likes of Goerges, Garcia, Bertens, Kontaveit, etc... for having the focus they all desperately need. Riske won Rosmalen with a string of wins over Muchova, Hercog, Alexandrova, Kudermetova and Bertens, all dangerous opponents, it means something because these days, the top 50 or top 100 is much more challenging than it used to be. The top 10 players can lose to any of them (especially when none of them are peaking), so my criteria for this one is focus and consistency, ability to go all the way without losing the plot.

Riske potentially belongs to the Bartoli or Vesnina league.

:hatoff:
You must be joking, focus and mental strength are exactly the things that Riske is missing most :lol:

Plus she just had her one good tournament this year, so she isn't winning many matches in the upcoming months.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Why does that even matter? I rather don't know who wins the tournament... In 2015 I basically stopped watching WTA because you basically knew who would win the Slams before the first point was played. I only started watching it again because randomly after a practise in my Tennisclub there was Serena vs. Vinci on.
Ok but I think most people need real heros to watch a sport.

ATP was in a crises at the beginning of this century when there wasn't a real dominant player and Safin, Kerten, Hewitt, Ferrero, Roddick, Rafter, Rios, Moya, Kafelnikova Muster & Co had been #1.
12 #1 players between 1996 and 2003.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts