Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only time I saw her play was against Serena Williams at I think the U.S. Open. Needless to say she got wiped off the court and I did not see anything that looked all that impressive about Martina's game.

But she must have some talent to be doing so well as of late so what is the scoop on her?

Is she as talented as say other fellow European players such as Daniela Hantuchova or Daja Bedanova? Or is it simply she is better than the those she has beaten so far this year?

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
I was courtside to see her play Davenport at Wimbledon last year where she lost 6-3 6-3. Martina isn't really in the class of Hantuchova or Bedanova in my opinion. She hits a very nice, clean ball but isn't as powerful off the ground or on serve as those two. She will beat who's she's supposed to but anyone with real power will outhit her and she doesn't have enough to threaten a Hingis though I'd like to see that happen. But she had a good end to last year and a great start to this year.

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,468 Posts
Good assessment MirjanaLfan, I agree :)

Martina hits a clean ball, nice form on her groundstrokes, but doesn't really possess a big weapon that is likely to distance herself from the rest of the pack. She's consistent, and has been improving a lot in the past year now though so credit to her for having been able to get win most of the matches she's expected to, and pick up some nice results in some of the lower tier events. Also, a nice draw here has certainly helped her chances for climbing up the rankings even further.

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Martina has GREAT CONSISTENT groundstrokes...but she is also a fighter. I fell in love with her at Wimby against Lindsay.:) She doesn't hit that hard but she is just so consistent.:) That's all I have to add to great analysis by MirjanaFan and Randy.;)

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well suddenly the style of Sucha and Anna Smashnova is winning tennis tournaments.

Does that mean we are seeing a change in the tennis game again or is the season much too young yet?

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
As mentioned very clean strokes and fairly consistent. IMO all she needs is power, better mobility, a better serve and then she's got the game! :D

·
Banned
692 Posts
She does have brilliant groundstrokes also a nice back hand but unfortuanelty no real power posesses her style of game. Shell be one of those players in time who r like sandrine testud/Dominic Van roost who hovers around tope 10-15 never leaves for a while. Occasionly will get maybe 9 or 10 but is soosn straight out

·
Registered
118 Posts
She is playing so well, and has a lot of confidence, won the last week in Hobart, is playing so well in Australia... So maybe is the next Martina, WHO KNOWS?????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts