Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While Kim isn't terrible on grass (she has a QF and a 4th round result at Wimbledon and a final in a tuneup event), it's clearly her weakest surface. Why is that? Will she do better this year now that she is more consistent?

I would think Kim has the ability to do well on grass - her slice serve on the deuce side becomes more effective, her power shots get even more powerful, and grass rewards good athletes (and Kim certainly is one).

What has held Kim back on the grass?

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
kim needs to serve well and that forehand needs to get in.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
1999: Unexperienced, youngster against excellent Graf
2000: ?
2001: Revengefull Justine, Good Davenport in Wimby
2002: Shoulder Injury

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
in 2000 she lost to myskina after beating tauziat in the first round

she also lost to patty schnyder that year on grass though :eek:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I definitely think part of it is that Kim's losses have been to experienced/good grass court players and, let's face it, Kim didn't become a great player until last fall. She should do better on grass this year.

Still, I don't see Kim making the finals at Wimbledon, and I don't see her as a threat to Serena - or even Justine - on grass. I don't know why, though. What does Kim lack on the grass?

Maybe she'll prove me wrong (I hope so) :)

·
Registered
14,809 Posts
yes and kim volleys well too
i think it could be because of her topspin but i'm not sure.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I don't think Kim has the right shots to be so good on grass. I mean, she defends a lot and in grass you 'just can't reach the ball', I mean it comes too fast and it's really hard.
She puts quite a lot of topspin in her forehand so it's not that a great shot in grass..... I saw her last match in grass against Lindsay and :rolleyes: .... but that was a long time ago

Joaco

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
If Kim serves well and comes to thew net at Wimbledon as someone said she has great volleys but doesnt use them too much,. I think if Justine and Kim want to beat Venus and Serena at Wimbledon they'll HAVE to come to the net - should be interesting

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Kim is not the same player she was before the last uso. I do not think we can make a fair assessment on how well she plays on grass till wimbledon begins.She has improved dramatically and previous grass performance does not count imo.

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
I think this "grass is Kim's weakest surface" thing is blown hysterically out of proportion. Wimbledon was where she made her first big splash on the tennis scene. And save last year's disaster, she's never really had a bad one.

Anyway, I'm betting she'll do just fine this year and in all the years to come.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I hope kim can win rosmalen:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts