Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
she got a lot of fans this year when she tore up the challenger circuit but i think a lot of people just got on the bandwagon because it was fun. but now she has beaten a top 10 player (dokic is top 10 this week). obviously karolina will get a lot of bonus points but also a lot of confidence. but the best thing about this win is that it was in the early rounds of a tournament and it was in a small tournament. i hate to see careers like stevenson's (although it is looking ok now) happen and they are caused from surprise results in big tournaments so the fact that it was a small tournament should mean that karolina won't get a big head about it. and it happening in the early rounds of a tournament will teach her to stay focused after a big win hopefully. but with such a good win at such an early stage of her wta career how far can she go? when she was winning on the challenger circuit i don't think people expected this to come quite so quickly, in fact i'm pretty sure some people even thought she didn't have the talent or potential to trouble the top players (and who can blame them? afterall it was the challenger circuit it wasn't the highest quality tennis). i didn't see the match but her talent could still be in question because dokic has been playing so badly this year but the way i look at it is even if she they weren't playing the highest quality tennis at least it shows that karolina has the mental ability to compete with the top girls.

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
prob top 50 at most.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If you're talking about the tournament, I think she will lose next round to Matevzic ... Dokic is in a real slump and she's very vulnerable in early rounds!

Is her participation in RG qualifications over now? Or will she have still time to qualify?

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm talking about her career not just the tournament. i don't think she can qualify for RG now. if she wanted to play RG qualies she would have had to have lost to golovin in the first round of this tournie.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
You will have to "wait and see" a little bit longer yet. You can't take a real lot from this match as it was Dokic's 14 or 15th loss and it is only May and that speaks volumes.

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
Once she made the main draw of the tournament, she forfeited her chance in RG qualies. She was not allowed, even if she had lost her first round.

·
Premium Member
20,681 Posts
Well unsure as she hasn`t beaten any inform players, she beat Dokic but again Dokic is in a big slump atm soo anyone could really beat her! mayb Top 50 thats all for now... and how can u ask this when she has only 1 wat 2 matches on the WTA? or mayb 3 at the most? wait till she gets a few more matches under her belt then start it again okay! just worry bout Elena Bovina soon to b #1!

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
i'm more than less asking about the factor that she beat dokic. like how will this effect karolina for the future? will she take it in her stride or will she get a big head? will it encourage/motivate her to perform better or will she think she is too good and not work hard or maybe even go straight to the tier 1 tournies when she gets her ranking up to the qualifying level. it's sort of a question of whether this win will help her career or do the opposite.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Not having seen her play I don't know how high she can get....

But I sure worry about copy editors for print journalists... and the possiblity that they could transpose letters because Sprem could become Sperm.... What a headline that would be "Sperm Wins"

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
"Sperm Goes Down Under"

No, seriously, I think she has the maturity at almost 19 to be able to move on and continue for this win.

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
well she did well tow in after getting sluahgtered in set2! she didnt just go away and that took guts s i think she should be on a big rise :)...its hard to predict rankings esp cos one big tournament doesnt mean much ie harkleroad

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
Well she beat Matevzic just now...I think top 20 is in her future...and we'll see about the big head and all, as she is committed for Surbiton, a 25k challenger, and if she still plays there, we know that won't be a problem...when is Wimbeldon main draw and stuff decided? I think she can get into the maindraw at this point with her wins over Dokic and Matevzic!

·
7,996 Posts
pfft...well nevermind, she already pulled out of Surbiton....but I think she's committed to a couple of the grass tournies before wimby....we'll see how her results will be after this tournament....

·
7,996 Posts
Next in qualifying
149 CHN ZHENG, JIE A 1
153 HUN CZINK, MELINDA A 2
154 ITA VIERIN, NATHALIE A 3
155 GER 1 SCHRUFF, JULIA A 4
156 UKR 2 TATARKOVA, ELENA F 5
159 ESP 1 PARRA, ARANTXA A 6
160 CZE BIRNEROVA, EVA 7
161 CRO 1 SPREM, KAROLINA A 8

for Vienna....I don't think these results will be factored into her placement here though....?

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Matevic is good, but they way Vera is playing this week Zvonereva is going to be on another level alltogether.

Whats in Sprems favour is she beat Dokic, so she is not affraid to take it to the top players.

·
Registered
10,386 Posts
Sprem will probably get into qualies of both birmingham and vienna given the number of MDO's listed on both qualie list...

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
oh that thread title si just asking fro a dirty joke - but im a bigger man than that ;)

BOOM BOOM! :p

Anyway, seh was like 27-0 at the start of the year, and qualified and won 2 25k's in a row before wining some more from the main draw.

And to win 25k's you need to play 7 matches back to back (1 a day - something most top 10 players have never done for years, and probably couldnt do if you asked them) against very solid opposition. Challengers are tough, and she beat alot of top 200 players.

I think she will go far, but she needs a decent showing in some of the events later this year. As she has a ton of points to defend from Jan-May now.

If she can go on from this and build on it, she'll be top 100 easy by the end of year, and hopefully top 75.

And welcome all yee to teh bandwagon ;)

See what you're all missing out on not coming to teh Challenger Forum? We've all been predicting this for months

1 - 20 of 33 Posts