Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some losses seem to stay with a player. Some other losses come to mind. Capriati d. Hingis at the Aus Open '02, for example. Obviously, the stakes here were much lower, although the loss was more comprehensive.

I just wonder if this loss will shake Maria's confidence and affect her the rest of the year.

My guess is she will bounce back quickly, because she is young, mentally tough, and she didn't choke, she just lost very convincingly.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I think she'll be just fine. It's not like her game would be in a crisis or anything. Just a bad day that's all. She knows it, just like everybody else, that she can play a LOT better than that. It's important to get the next tournament going and focus on doing well there...

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
I bet she's already forgot about it.

The best quality of a tennis pplayer in the ability to forget points that have passed, in a match, and matches that have passed, in their career.

·
Premium Member
20,101 Posts
She will learn from this match. I just think it will get tougher with the pressure of expectations. It happens like that will all the top players who win slams, so IMO she will be fine.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
I think Maria will be fine - it is just one loss at the end of the day. She will just need to forget and look to the future and Miami.

·
Registered
120,547 Posts
She lost 2-6, 2-6 to Sveta in Beijing, and then she's won about 32 out of 36 matches since then.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Yeah but 6-0, 6-0 is not jus 'one more loss'

It's pretty much the worst it can get

There have not been many top players who have had this done, have there? I think it will start questions by some people about is she really a top player/shoud she be ranked so high?

But I reckon Maria can probably shut this out, as she did with the sveta loss, and the serena loss.

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
I'm starting to get sick of this. I am a huge Maria-hater, but:

She really is only 17 (turning 18). I mean, Martina Hingis was double-bagelled by Mary Pierce or someone like that in 1995 or 1996. Big whoop. She is a very talented player and one bad match against a really good player isn't going to set her back. She's physically, mentally, emotionally, etc. strong and she will bounce back.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
anniflava said:
I'm starting to get sick of this. I am a huge Maria-hater, but:

She really is only 17 (turning 18). I mean, Martina Hingis was double-bagelled by Mary Pierce or someone like that in 1995 or 1996. Big whoop. She is a very talented player and one bad match against a really good player isn't going to set her back. She's physically, mentally, emotionally, etc. strong and she will bounce back.
:worship:

you = good honest poster.
you've made a friend :)

Reactions: Geisha

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Tennisaddict said:
She will be allright, she's very strong mentally.
She showed us a glaring streak of mental weakness. This scoreline is not only a product of Lindsey`s great play but Maria`s horrible play, an abundance of unforced errors, 18 in the last 9 games, 3 winners for the same. She also betrayed mental weakness in the AO semis, handing away her service game at 5-4 second set, nothing compared to this absurdity though... But make no mistake about it, the kid can self-destruct and this is something she needs to correct.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Although Maria's double bagel loss to Davenport is embarassing it won't mean much in the future because of all the success Masha will have. This loss has to hurt her but I expect Maria to bounce back and make this loss irrelevant.

·
Registered
26,220 Posts
I don't know whether it will effect her, but I feel as if players outside the Top 10 will now feel she is beatable.

·
Registered
12,277 Posts
She'll get more vulnerable

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.