Tennis Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just stalked a little on twitter and I saw that V tweeted to Serena about how much she misses her and that she's taking care of the dogs.
I mean why would she tweet that if she'd be on the next plane to Australia (it's about time to leave if she's considering to play).

Well and then I found this article.
Australian Open still waiting to hear if Venus Williams will be able to play

by: Margie McDonald
January 09, 2012 12:00AM

THE Australian Open might have only one Williams sister on court this year, with the tournament still waiting to hear whether five-time Wimbledon champion Venus will be able to play.

The elder Williams sibling had a wretched 2011 marred by injury and illness, which saw her ranking slide outside the top 100 for the first time in 15 years. Her problems started with her retirement from her third-round match against Andrea Petkovic at last year's Australian Open with a right hip injury and ended with her suffering from an immune system illness.

The retirement was Venus's first in 251 grand slam singles matches. She has only missed one Australian Open in the past 11 years and that was in 2007 with a wrist injury.

She is now ranked No 102, and no one from the tournament office in Melbourne has heard any updated news from the 31-year-old about her arrival.

Younger sister Serena booked a practice court yesterday at Melbourne Park but did not use it at the allotted time. She tweeted to her two million followers that she was on her way to the Victorian capital after withdrawing from Brisbane at the quarter-finals stage with a left ankle strain.
The full digital experience

When Serena was asked whether Venus would be making it to Melbourne, she said: "I don't know. You'll have to ask her."

Another player with a hip injury is defending Melbourne Park champion Kim Clijsters, who has remained in Brisbane for treatment for muscle spasms in her left hip. The injury forced her to retire during the second set of Friday night's semi-final against Daniela Hantuchova. Clijsters is expected to arrive in Melbourne tomorrow.

Hantuchova lost the women's final 6-2 6-1 to Estonia's Kaia Kanepi, ranked 10 places lower than her on the WTA list at No 34.

It would be unkind to say that Kanepi benefited from the withdrawal of the top four seeds. She was not in the same half of the draw as Clijsters, Williams or Sam Stosur so still had to overcome three seeds, Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (7), Andrea Petkovic (2) and Francesca Schiavone (3), to reach the final.

Her achievement is all the more praiseworthy because she missed the last six tournaments of last year following the US Open because of an achilles tendon problem, although she regards the enforced rest as a turning point.

"I had two months off because of the achilles and I did a lot of different practice and rehab," she said.

"Maybe that little break gave me some extra power to play well now."

Kanepi was reminded that Czech world No 2 Petra Kvitova was also ranked No 34 when she won Brisbane last year and then went on to claim the Wimbledon final over Maria Sharapova.

"Well, if I am playing like this, I think I can make a big step," she said.

"I have to win and play consistent. We will see at the end of the year if I did the same thing or not."
UPDATE: She's having an intense preparation with French coach Didier Lanne. Just check the pictures at http://didierlanne.com/

1 - 1 of 1 Posts