• Smart Player

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 8.6%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Definitely a smart player. I have a topspin forehand (weak), but a flat, hard backhand. I attack the short balls, and have great passing shots. I get to a lot of balls, and hit return winners a lot, but my serve is lacking. I guess I could be considered a 'defender' since I scramble to a lot of shots, but I like to dictate points with my backhand, and the occasional drop. I picked 'smart' player because I can mix up my game and vary the speed/consistency of my shots. With the exception of my backhand, I certainly am not overpowering, and I am not a volleyer - I will swing volley or let the ball drop.

So I suppose I'm a "smart player". I model my game after Martina, after all!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm the same as you rocksteady!!
My forehand and backhand can attack but for me to overpower some one I would have to play well, mainly bcause of self confdence!!!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
All-court player

hey guys

i'm an all-court player... which could be considered smart.

i can play either on the baseline, my backhand is my big shot but i also have a very mixed forehand i can hit it flat but not with much success so I prefer to use angles and depth with topspin. my serve is not huge but gets the job done. my second serve is better than my first :rolleyes:

i can volley well, i love the net and I have nice approaches so even on clay i can win points there. the approach is the key for volleying, if u don't know ;)

that's at least what I THINK i am :) :angel:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Oh yea, I love clay. I can run my opponents all over and (usually) I won't be the first to make the error.

For that matter, I dislike grass. When I play flat/hard hitters who go for the down-the line shots, the ball is too quick for me to always get to. I would easily get to those shots on a clay/hard court. I remember I was playing a kid on artificial grass, we played four games. Every game went to deuce, but he hit these hard down-the-line shots that would skid off the court. I felt sort of helpless.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I'm a power player, but can hit heavy top-spin of both sides as well, I like to control every point, If I lose a point I wanna lose it on my own terms.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Are you suggesting that being a volleyer, poewr player or defender means being a dumb player?

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Smart baseline player - I like to mix things up with drop-shots, lobs, changes of pace etc. and play tactically, but I can't volley at all. Sometimes it's frustrating when I know that the smart thing to do at a certain point would be to volley, so I go into the net and fluff the volley. And it tends to backfire when I change my mind about the shot I want to play - whilst playing it, so the ball sails out of court.

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,467 Posts
I'm a smart player, but in a more defensive than offensive sense. I try to keep as many balls in play as possible, counterpunch and don't usually start in the offense unless it's more of an easy finishing shot. I tend to try and annoy my opponents with giving them different paces, different angles, moving the ball around the court a lot, and a mix of high balls and low balls so that they don't get into a rhythm easily and make some errors being impatient.

I'm kind of the opposite of rightous - I feel better losing a point when I know it wasn't so much my fault but just a matter of them being too good on that point. When match point comes I don't want to be the one to lose the match on my own!

·
Registered
623 Posts
.....I have a very good forehand , but my backhand is :p :p :p but it is not bad at all ...sometime it's good but sometime it's bad ...you know....! Iam learning how to hit a very good backhand by watching Hingis' game,now . I want an excellent ,not just good . I would pick a smart player , my playing stype is always about that !

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I voted "other"... as in not-very-good player!

I'm an ok volleyer, I have a fairly weak forehand and areally inaccurate serve, but my strength is a powerful backhand.

I alternate between offensive and defensive play depending on my opponent!

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
Can't I be a smart defender.... :p! lol

flat,acurate backhand...a lil erratic lately but usually a decent topspin forehand which i like to loop(ie conchi asv) sometimes.....

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
I am lucky, I have a big serve. If the ball comes back, however, I am in a LOT of trouble. I used to play doubles in high school and during one match I was only hitting aces/service winners or double faults, and one game late in the match my partner sat down in the middle of the court because the ball wasn't often coming back. :)

I have a respectable, hard, flat forehand, but I have no backhand to speak of, am very slow, and resort to stupid junk shots when things are getting frustrating. I also have a horrible temper and am generally vulgar and belligerent towards my partner and opponents. So of course I picked "power player." :p

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I play ... very badly! When we had to play at school, I used to sit and make daisy chains instead. :angel:

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Power Player usually, with a very hard backhand that I hit and hope it goes in, I hit it so hard, that mostly it goes out :rolleyes: , I've learned to add a little more spin...
I played yesterday in OTA(ontario tennis association), my first tournie(U16), I lost in the finals a close one, and a coach said that the guy had luck and that I am, and will be a far better player then him, because he just got it over very deep, and it would be a matter of time until the balls go in :rolleyes: , he said that my biggest strenght is my mentality(mind strength) :) .
Next week I play U18 tournie, and I will play against the number one guy in Canada I think :fiery: :mad:.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I guess I'm an all-courter...I love being creative on the tennis court. I can rally from the baseline, I have a big forehand that I love to hit and am pretty consistent with it, and my backhand is a big weapon too, but I overhit it way too much. So now I'm starting to slice my backhand a lot more often and it's working really well for me! I love coming to the net and am pretty comfortable there, except for I hit backhand volleys into the net a lot :mad: I love hitting swing volleys! And one thing I love to do is hit a drop shot to bring my opponent to net, and hit passing shots, because that's one of my big strengths is my passing shots. I'm no good at the lob though! My big problem at times is returning serve, it usually takes a few games for me to be completely comfortable returning. My own first serve is pretty big and wins me a lot of points. My second serve though...well sometimes I'll get into a rhythm with it where it's as good as my first serve, but some matches I'll double fault half the time I have to hit a second serve. So I gotta be more consistent with that!

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
I do it all.Im a smart power-player thats likes to serve and volley sometimes and I also play defense alot.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts