Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to me hantuchova looks to have a heap of talent that she isn't utulizing and fullfilling. sharapova is talented but i don't see much she can improve on however she is only 16 so it is stupid to think she can't or won't improve and lucic well she has a lot of talent but ihaven't seen her play since she made the semis of wimbledon. why did i pick these 3 players? because i think they are probably the 3 most talent players on the tour today (excluding krajicek as she has only played one event and vaidisova who hasn't played any).

this is a thread where you can compare these 3 players in any way so don't just limit yourself to the question i asked, if you want to add more or a different dimension to the discussion you are welcome to do so.

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
All I can say about Mirjana is that she should have been winning Grand Slams years ago. If Mirjana had realized her talent, I can only imagine the arguments and discussions we would be having today.

I am won that says never say never, but I don't think Mirjana will ever become a top five player. However, it's not too late for her to have some kind of decent career if she still wants it.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TS, 3 most talented that are not in the top 5 and haven't fullfilled their potential.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
you dont

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dava_russianrule :wavey:

what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think lucic can comeback to the top of the game but imo she wasn't capable of being a #1 she was capable of being an in and out top 5 and a solid top 10 player. i certainly think she can comeback to the top 20 if she works hard. stevenson is another who hasn't fullfilled her talent and the question about her is will she ever fullfill it.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
I'm not sure what talent is really. Lucic was a better player than Hantuchova at 15 but her game hasn't developed an inch since then (from what little I've seen). Lucic could have been top 5 if she'd developed but it's probably too late for that now. I don't think it's entirely her fault though. I think Sharapova has the most potential, partly because she's the youngest. I don't see Dani as a potential #1 (unless the sisters retire).

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
As pple often say..talent can only get u so far...Success in my perspective is 90% hard work and 10% talent....No doubt 3 of the gals possess enormous talents..But hey look at the rankings...You will know who i think is superior den the rest.. ;)

·
Registered
15,448 Posts
they're all talented. daniela needs to gain more weight, mirjana, well, i think its too late for her, but maria is great!

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Of the 3, Daniela has the most natural talent. :) But Maria, who is 4 years younger than Dani, as well as being stonger and tougher than Dani, has the most potential. :D

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bump

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Isn't Mirjana only 21? I think there is still time for her to get in the top 20.It's amazng how young she is because it feels like she's been around forever. I just hope that she won't be 25 and people will still besaying she's trying to make it.

·
Registered
32,409 Posts
Lucic would have been the Williams sisters' biggest rival had she not had all of those family problems and injuries which completely messed up her career. but, you can't really lose potential and she has so much that i don't doubt we will see her again!!

hantuchova, well..., lots of power, good speed, good volleys, bad mindset (?). i seriously don't know what is wrong with her right now, it could just be a normal teenage slump

sharapova, she apparently played a great match vs. clijsters, but she still has to prove herself.

sprem has the most talent :) of them. good serve, great power, allways moving foreward, mentaly extremely tough, one of the fastest runners on tour (she is very fast for those of you who haven't seen her play)

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
DA BACKHAND said:
I don't think Lucic is that much talented. If people really think she is that much talented, why don't they think she can come back at the top of the game anyway? She is powerful, but since when does power = talent?
Since the Williams sisters arrived of course. :wavey:

Okay, Hantuchova and Lucic have boatloads of talent, but will never achieve it because they don't have the mental strength. They really really don't believe they can win (well, I mean they have like a 1 or 2 percent doubt about whether they can or not that grows more and more with each loss. Heck Dani is a joke now, just like Lucic).

Maria has even more talent IMHO (and she is just 16), and really has no fears/doubts etc. I think she should really work on her finesse/volleys while she still can, and I think she will. She really is head and shoulders above the other two (or any other youngster out there really) in that she wants it so freakin badly, and honestly believes she can beat anyone and everyone that dare stand in her way. I really like that about her, and I really think she will be great come a year's time. However, I am usually wrong so....

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Oh Sprem. Come on she hasn't done as much as Maria croat:p . I mean, on paper maybe, but she has underperformed at the big events, and that is when she shows up. Plus she is two years younger.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
If by 'talent' you mean natural, physical, athletic ability, then I'd put Martinez and Schnyder at the top of the list.

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
It's easy to mistake good early results for talent. But talent shows in the long haul, not the short run.

Lucic hit her full potential as a tennis player very early. To be better, she'd of had to have different parents. I don't know how anyone with the mental tougness to be a champion could have come from that father. He beat her down every bit as much as Richard Williams built Venus and Serena up. Not her fault, but the kid never reallyhad a chance.

Hantuchova - The jury's in. Indian Wells = fluke.

Without that one tournament, we'd view Dani as a flower just about to bloom. As it is, she was a false spring.

Sharapova? Who knows? She has a little more size than Kournikova. (Does she? She LOOKS like it, but ....) All to the good. But there's a lot more to winning then running fast and hitting hard. (Is there?)

Reactions: Gowza
1 - 20 of 24 Posts