Tennis Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
Truly wonderful and thoughtful analysis here; really underscores what makes Ash's game so special right now and why she has a real opportunity to build quite the legacy. At 25, if she can remain motivated and healthy, she's perfectly positioned to become the dominant force in the WTA.

Registered
It was Goolagong's own turn of phrase to describe the phenomenon, so let's shut down that conversation about racial cliche right there. :rolleyes:

It's the EXACT same thing Evonne used to do: lose focus mid-match and somehow find herself behind and have to make a comeback. It's part of why she was thrilling to watch: she threw in way more three-setters against ho-hum players, which gave fans more time to watch her marvelous game in full flight. But of the things for Barty to emulate from Evonne, perhaps not this one?

馃檭馃檭馃檭
It is still a well known racial cliche

Registered
Some interesting stats. It was always known that Ash has a weapon in the slice. However she still needs to use the slice effectively. There have been some matches she played in the past where the slice is not hit like a low knife and it just sits up slowly or floats long. But she is getting better and better with the consistency in the low aggressive slice.

Also the grass helps Ash play a better slice because the ball doesn鈥檛 bounce up high on her at point of impact. She struggled with the floating slice in US hardcourt season in 2019 and also a bit in Australia this year.

Registered
As luck would have it, there has just been a repeat of the Wimbledon final on tv. Watching it with jackedward's astute analysis in mind made it even more interesting and enjoyable. You can really see things missed before. e.g. the effect of Barty bunting Pliskova's serve almost every time, including the slower ones - very smart, and the incredibly high percentage of slice bh's.
Also, of course players can get nervous but Pliskova was at times almost disabled by nerves. Surprising for such an experienced top 10 player

Registered
Great article and well researched. Perhaps what was most impressive with Ash at Wimbledon was she relied on her full game not her serve. Does anyone have Ash's first serve percentage in the SF and F? Ash's down the T serve was missing generally the whole tournament (yes hit some aces there but no-where near the usual). That says a lot, didn't freak out and worked around it.

Registered
Here's a couple of analyses covering Ash Barty's semifinal victory over Angelique Kerber and her final win over Karolina Pliskova.

Enjoy 馃幘馃幘馃幘

That was great read...where did you get that data regarding number of top spin backhands Barty used in a match (not just Wimbledon but even in older matches mentioned in the article), % of points where she played a slice backhand etc? I try looking for point by point data in tennis but just can't find that information anywhere

Registered
A really great technical analysis of her slice by former player is below.

An interesting lesson is that Ash keeps her body sideways during the entire shot and follow through, spreading the arms and squeezing the shoulders together. Explains how she can get so much sidespin on the slice. This is very much like how Federer hits the topspin backhand but I didn鈥檛 realise it can be used on slice too, contrary to how most people play the slice by rotating the body with the slice.

Registered
A really great technical analysis of her slice by former player is below.

An interesting lesson is that Ash keeps her body sideways during the entire shot and follow through, spreading the arms and squeezing the shoulders together. Explains how she can get so much sidespin on the slice. This is very much like how Federer hits the topspin backhand but I didn鈥檛 realise it can be used on slice too, contrary to how most people play the slice by rotating the body with the slice.

View attachment 194774

Thanks for that. This is a good quality contribution, having a professional analyze her slice. Really enjoyed the technical stuff

Art & Futures
by hitting the ball in the court more than her opponents

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi Jack,

I logged in just to say how much I enjoy your work and your analysis. Cant really argue when you present your case with such a heavy data-driven approach. And you still manage to keep me laughing with your memes and lingos while reading like an you-almost scientific like- analysis. Keep up the great work!
Made my day reading this, thanks very much 馃槏

Registered
she played better tennis than everyone else

Registered
Nice draw until the semis then fortunate to play Pliskova in the final than before.
Very important win because her other major was Anisimova and Vondrousova
There were so many different slam winners and Olympics since Serena left the tour, really since Vinci beat Serena, and getting a 2nd major was big
Think of all the players who arent that good week to week who won a major or Olympic Gold
Ostapenko, Kenin, Stephens, Pennetta, Andreescu, Swiatek, Krejcikova, Bencic Puig

21 - 32 of 32 Posts