Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a couple of analyses covering Ash Barty's semifinal victory over Angelique Kerber and her final win over Karolina Pliskova.

Enjoy 馃幘馃幘馃幘

All I want for Christmas is EU
Here's a couple of analyses covering Ash Barty's semifinal victory over Angelique Kerber and her final win over Karolina Pliskova.

Enjoy 馃幘馃幘馃幘

Very nicely written and researched. That was a very enjoyable informative read. Thank you very much.

Not a lot to add to what you have said already, but that is very much one of Ash's strengths, she can adapt and adjust her game so well, as your article demonstrates and not only does she, along with her team, have the technical smarts and nous to adjust her strategy for every opponent she faces, she has the range of skills to execute those strategies. That really does set her apart from practically every other player on the tour.

Registered
I knew Barty always favoured her slice backhand, but to see just how much she plays it compared to the two handed backhands in the stats, even on hard/clay.. I just really feel like someone with those kind of statistic should maybe have considered a one handed backhand, but oh well.

Registered
I knew Barty always favoured her slice backhand, but to see just how much she plays it compared to the two handed backhands in the stats, even on hard/clay.. I just really feel like someone with those kind of statistic should maybe have considered a one handed backhand, but oh well.
Yeah, I wonder if she could go back in time if she would try to learn a one-hander for topspin/drive rather than her two-hander.

Registered
That was great, mate! Loved seeing the change in statistics about her slice match-to-match against Pliskova as well as how every opponent in the tournament fared against it. Really interesting stuff.

Registered

Enjoy 馃幘馃幘馃幘

great job on this(y)

Registered
Great article OP!

Imagine Barty with a Henin-like OHBH :love:

Registered
This is the sort of in-depth stuff I love to read - levels above the cheap and terse drivel you get so often (e.g. "she should not be no. 1" - remember that!). What is missing in this analysis is an account ot the following facet of Barty's games:

In many of her matches, including these two, Ash goes through quite long periods where she appears to lose focus. This has often resulted in her being in losing positions (e.g. down a set and a break) and having to think her way out of them. Although intriguing and harroewing for her fans, it is an odd but regular phase with her.

Registered
Q Wang, Kontaveit, Badosa
The slice bh is the big weapon, who would have thought this in 2021
This. The only time I鈥檝e seen it completely betray her is against Wang at the US Open in 2019. In that match the forehand was letting her down and she was relying on her bh slice because she didn鈥檛 want to drive through the ball. Wang was literally giving her no pace. Ash actually shortened quite a few points by driving through her backhand towards the tail end of that match. Tactically she鈥檚 always been astute, but this year she鈥檚 just on another level. The only players that have come anyway near her in that regard are Muchova (at the beginning of the year) and Krejcikova (more recently).

Registered
In many of her matches, including these two, Ash goes through quite long periods where she appears to lose focus. This has often resulted in her being in losing positions (e.g. down a set and a break) and having to think her way out of them. Although intriguing and harroewing for her fans, it is an odd but regular phase with her.
Yeah, it's like she decided to emulate Goolagong so much that she also developed the walkabout. It's like....Ash, sweetheart, you can be your own person! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Registered
Doubt that a racial cliche is the issue
It was Goolagong's own turn of phrase to describe the phenomenon, so let's shut down that conversation about racial cliche right there. :rolleyes:

It's the EXACT same thing Evonne used to do: lose focus mid-match and somehow find herself behind and have to make a comeback. It's part of why she was thrilling to watch: she threw in way more three-setters against ho-hum players, which gave fans more time to watch her marvelous game in full flight. But of the things for Barty to emulate from Evonne, perhaps not this one?

馃檭馃檭馃檭

Registered

Enjoy 馃幘馃幘馃幘

Hi Jack,

I logged in just to say how much I enjoy your work and your analysis. Cant really argue when you present your case with such a heavy data-driven approach. And you still manage to keep me laughing with your memes and lingos while reading like an you-almost scientific like- analysis. Keep up the great work!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts