Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not wanting to get on a bandwagon or anything, just pure curiosity, because it looks like she has many points to defend starting next week. :eek:

·
Good Luck Caro in 2019!
186,828 Posts
A win today and Ash is about 135 points from no. 1...

But as she do not defends her points next week, it may be i Birmingham the fight for no. 1 will be, but i has not checked how many points she defends there?

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Ash will lose Nottingham winner points (280?) from either the 5650 she is now or the 6350 she will get as champion.

So, if she wins, she would still be #2 behind Osaka after taking next week off (or #3 if she loses).

She has R2 (Birmingham) & QF (Eastbourne) points to defend after that and that might not be too hard to match before Wimbledon.

I haven't looked at what Osaka, Pliskova, Bertens etc have to defend.

ETA - oh ok, I did look ;)

Points to defend before Wimbledon:

Osaka (Nottingham SF, Birmingham R2)
Pliskova (Birmingham R1, Eastbourne QF)
Bertens (Rosmalen R2, Eastbourne R2)

·
Registered
29,828 Posts
There is no real #1 anymore. Sure, we have a lot rankings #1 but they can lose to anyone anywhere.

·
Premium Member
Naomi Osaka, Bianca Andreescu, Iga Swiatek
4,788 Posts
Wimbledon has a ton of points to change things, but if Ash wins tonight and has better grass results than Naomi, she can be #1 before the AEC.
I don't think Barty will get the No 1 Ranking before Wimbledon.

·
Registered
8,863 Posts
Quite notable that there have been 5-6 contenders for the top spot this year, and none dethroned Osaka thus far.

Vastly different from the men’s field in which Nole has been untouchable and appears to be in cruise control.

·
Banned
2,413 Posts
Depends on wimbledon. Good new faces are emerging but I hope both Naomi and barty becomes consistent which will be good for the tour.

·
Premium Member
Naomi Osaka, Bianca Andreescu, Iga Swiatek
4,788 Posts
If you subtract the Points won at Nottingham last year from both Players Barty is 252 Points behind Osaka.

·
Registered
That Woman
4,653 Posts
I think she has to win one of the grass Premier events and have Osaka do nothing at all (which isn't out of the realm of possibility), but it's more realistic at Wimbledon by going a round or two further than Osaka (or winning the thing, why not dream big?)

·
Registered
570 Posts
The thought of Barty being world no.1 is interesting though possible mathematically speaking.

Being a number one is more than just focusing on yourself. People start to expect more on you, more criticism on you and if you lose they start judging you with microscope. And more importantly players want to beat you.

Naomi does the best she could to sustain that pressure but she is never speaking like a no.1 probably still figuring out what and how that ranking needs to behave.

Barty likes to fly under the radar, hence that Aussie laidback attitude however when 60-70% of your time now is media request instead after winning a GS, your tennis is affected as your time on court and fitness is reduced. No doubt I am seeing her withdraw a few tournaments here and there to regain form and fitness. So her chase for No.1 needs a little time. Probably by US hardcourt season is the best time. She already won a GS, not need to push for it when the timing is not going to work out.

·
Registered
That Woman
4,653 Posts
The thought of Barty being world no.1 is interesting though possible mathematically speaking.

Being a number one is more than just focusing on yourself. People start to expect more on you, more criticism on you and if you lose they start judging you with microscope. And more importantly players want to beat you.

Naomi does the best she could to sustain that pressure but she is never speaking like a no.1 probably still figuring out what and how that ranking needs to behave.

Barty likes to fly under the radar, hence that Aussie laidback attitude however when 60-70% of your time now is media request instead after winning a GS, your tennis is affected as your time on court and fitness is reduced. No doubt I am seeing her withdraw a few tournaments here and there to regain form and fitness. So her chase for No.1 needs a little time. Probably by US hardcourt season is the best time. She already won a GS, not need to push for it when the timing is not going to work out.
This is another of those situations in which Barty's time off helps her, I think. She recognized early on in her career that she didn't love the solitary aspect of it, and built a team around her. That team is likely to be helpful insulating her from the pressures. She doesn't seem the type to be gunning for exposure, and she's mature enough emotionally not to get jerked around by unnecessary demands.

One of the big things young players don't know is they have the ability to say no to media requests. Graf successfully did the bare minimum of press for roughly a dozen years. While Barty is less press-shy than that, she's also not as likely to be such a sought after quantity.

And I don't think she'll be stuck in a trap of 'brand-building' the way some younger players have been. She knows who she is in a way an unformulated mass of young, blonde, manipulable star doesn't. She likes sports, not the things that come with it, and my best guess is she'll be really well adjusted to the extra scrutiny and willing to deny demands that take away from her process as an athlete.

·
Registered
8,656 Posts

But you can't fly under the radar when you are no 2 in the world and have just won a slam. Given the fact that Barty has said herself that every week of the clay season just makes grass nearer means that she is going to be built up to be even better on grass than clay. That means she will be expected by the media to win Wimbledon, but this will be a big ask for her as she has never been beyond the third round. Beating her will now be the 'big win' so players will play better against her. Nerves and managing expectations will be a big factor - look at what happened to top two seeds Osaka and Pliskova this RG.

RG 2018 to AO 2019 the media was totally fixated on the Serena 24 Slam/Comeback story and other players were pretty much ignored. This RG was very noticeably different - the media has clearly lost faith in Serena, and so it was fixed much more on a range of players including Osaka, Halep as well as her. I am guessing Wimbledon will be focussed round Osaka, Barty, Serena and the new improved home hope Konta, and these four will be given the show court matches with the other players being 'under the radar' now, though there may be a pique of interest in new stars like Anisimova and Vondrousova too, because Wimbledon has always loved a teen starlet. Halep, Stephens, Pliskova et al will be banished to court no 2 if they are lucky.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts