Tennis Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
37,468 Posts
Djokovic wouldn't be playing at Djokovic's level if he was a woman.. I guess it is a privilege (??) that men are physiologically built different and play the sport differently. And to be fair the mens tennis is leagues infront of the women's anyway. Not talking about how hard they hit but point construction, rivalries, recognisable players, mental fortitude and hunger to win, 5 sets opposed to 3, the men's tournament trumps women's.

The audience has decided but I guess if we really squinted we may realise that this is ak-chooly a direct result of the social constraints we as a society are inadvertently exposed to which ultimately led to the greater demand of the male tennis market. This further propergates the overexposure of male athletes fueling the misogynism of this unjust male-centric universe. Like a perpetual engine or some shit, right? SMH.
Oh so singles is let's say 10 to 15 times more popular than doubles because the quality is 10 to 15 times better than doubles. Lol, okay.

Women's tennis was immensely better entertainment than men's tennis in the late 90s and early 2000s, with stars like Serena, Venus, Capriati, Hingis, Davenport, Kournikova, Seles, Graf, etc. as opposed to Agassi on the men's tour and basically nobody else (I'm not counting Sampras because he was a servebot with the personality of a dishwasher), and yet women's tennis only got marginally better TV ratings than men's tennis. The reality is that there are far too many men afraid of emasculation to prefer women's tennis over men's tennis or as a matter of fact to even like women's sports, and therein lies the male privilege of the ATP.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Wow. Just wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To be clear, that is NOT my opinion about these players, it's just why i think they are not popular in Australia and Germany respectively. Or one of the reasons, at least.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I greatly prefer women's tennis, but.....
Last night in the Nadal vs Krazy Kyrgios match, the stands were pacted, not an empty seat.
At the same time, on another court, the Kerber vs Pav match was 80% empty.
That's not representative of typical match attendance. It would've been difficult for anyone to compete against Rafa/Kyrgios especially as Nick has redeemed himself somewhat in the Aussie public's eyes.

Also, the Angie/Pavs match was sold as part of the day session (start from 5pm) but ended up being a night session (started just before 7pm) because the Wawrinka/Medvedev match went to five sets. Most ticket holders probably hadn't planned on staying so late or were already planning on watching Rafa/Kyrgios.

Angie's other matches were well-attended, she had vocal fans and was the crowd fave in each match she played.

And in relation to Ash, I'd say she quite popular here. She has her own cheer squad with Bartymite t-shirts. They were around last year too.

·
Registered
911 Posts
very odd thread with many equally odd response.

1. Barty is extremely popular in Australia. She has sponsorship deals everywhere and gets a tonne of media coverage. She is very open about the fact that she's not the type to court attention - she does her business and people respect that a lot.
2. Kyrgios has always been a headline grabber with his antics and big social following. Playing a GOAT with an active beef was always going to be a hugely enticing prospect. Heck i considered splashing a grand on a couple of last minute tickets to get to the match (it sold out before i could get them). And yes he's won over a lot of people this summer during the ATP Cup/Aus Open.
3. Not even sure why Zverev was brought up. i've never seen him garnering huge support from crowds. Sure maybe the donation thing has endeared him to the public which is fine.
4. Peak Kerber was very popular in Australia. Are why really expecting slumping Kerber vs Pav to bump Nadal/Kyrgios off RLA.

Somebody like Djokovic has been able to trade of the epic rivalries with Fed and Nadal. WTA has really lacked genuine rivalries like Graf/Seles, Hingis/Williams, Henin/Serena for a long time IMO.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
very odd thread with many equally odd response.

1. Barty is extremely popular in Australia. She has sponsorship deals everywhere and gets a tonne of media coverage. She is very open about the fact that she's not the type to court attention - she does her business and people respect that a lot.
2. Kyrgios has always been a headline grabber with his antics and big social following. Playing a GOAT with an active beef was always going to be a hugely enticing prospect. Heck i considered splashing a grand on a couple of last minute tickets to get to the match (it sold out before i could get them). And yes he's won over a lot of people this summer during the ATP Cup/Aus Open.
3. Not even sure why Zverev was brought up. i've never seen him garnering huge support from crowds. Sure maybe the donation thing has endeared him to the public which is fine.
4. Peak Kerber was very popular in Australia. Are why really expecting slumping Kerber vs Pav to bump Nadal/Kyrgios off RLA.

Somebody like Djokovic has been able to trade of the epic rivalries with Fed and Nadal. WTA has really lacked genuine rivalries like Graf/Seles, Hingis/Williams, Henin/Serena for a long time IMO.
True dat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,622 Posts
Its a men/women thing, very real with a lot of sports fans. Barty & Kerber are Hall of Fame players, and so far Nick & Zverev are nowhere close to that
Partly. The mainstream media in tennis is really poor. The casual fan won't know huge amounts due to that. The women were better know yonks ago when there were some consistent winners. We don't have that now. The men's big 3/4 are such established stars that they raise the profile of the newbies and the MSM is all about mega stars.

·
Registered
17,526 Posts
We live in a world, where the most powerful person is a character like Donald Trump.

There's your answer.

Kyrgios generates a lot of Buzz with his outbursts and being in the media, for whatever reason, is jackpot. See Donald Trump.

·
Art & Futures
20,359 Posts
Barty has a unique game, but she has low entertainment value particularly to casual fans. Her game and presence is relatively more interesting to a hardcore fan or regular tennis player than to a casual fan; this is the case because she has great tennis skill, but no utterly impressive single shot or ability that a casual sports fan could easily grasp without commentary, nor is she particularly fiery or mainstream on court. Also, there is a stereotypical mainstream attitude towards male sportsmen vs. female sportswomen... you can be more classy and reserved as a male and be incredibly popular, but this is rarer for female (maybe it's just because females are less popular in sports in general). A huge part of what put WTA to be the top women sport is the drama and Ashleigh doesn't bring enough of it. Outside of Australia, she doesn't tick any of the obvious/mainstream marketable tags, (though depending on the moods of society, I could see this changing soon).

Also, as has been discussed endlessly on this board, part of the issue with the WTA is the rotating rolodex of top players. Maybe if Ashleigh starts winning tons of Grand Slams will there be worldwide love for her, and she can reach Henin, Clijsters, or even Graf status (if she really starts GOAT-ing).

While enough people know of Kerber, she has fallen off the radar in the ranking again so fans don't expect a ton out of her anymore. She would have a profile similar to Del Potro, but slightly less popular since she is on the WTA side.

·
Registered
472 Posts
To be clear, that is NOT my opinion about these players, it's just why i think they are not popular in Australia and Germany respectively. Or one of the reasons, at least.
But why do you think Angie is not popular in Germany? It is enough to sell the tickets in Stuttgart, Berlin and Bad Homburg.

·
Registered
10,766 Posts
This is world cruelty, really. Barty worked her ass off to become world no 1, won a Slam, and is one year younger than Kyrgios. Moreover Kyrgios is a jerk, lazy ass stray. KYRGIOS DIDN'T EVEN F*** REACH A SEMI!

Zverev the same, plus so far couldn't penetrate weak draws of many Slams. Of course, he is young and can still develop. Federer began at about 22-23 years old to achieve big results.

Kerber is a 3-time Grand Slam winner, she should be a star in Germany, in fact Angie is probably better than most of the German athletes.
Kyrgios has more talent in his left little finger than the other 3 in 6 hands combined, so this is an easy one. He just has trouble taking advantage of that talent. But we will see. And his oncourt behaviour is very entertaining to say the least.

As for Zverev... I don't know, cos he is an entitled feeling brat. But compared to Chieftain Squatting Bull Kerber, his tennis might look still more interesting to many.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Who actually likes Zverev and his dull game?
Zverev game is not dull. I watched him play live and is really impressive. And he has personality, he's always looking at the crowd (most players completely ignore the crowd), his matches are entertaining.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Barty is hugely popular in Australia. Though Kyrgios is popular down here - he is a brilliant entertainer, everyone must admit, with some amazing shots - he has as many detractors as fans. Those who hate Kyrgios and his antics point to Barty as the model of a humble, consummate professional who over-achieves rather than under-achieves. Most Australians wish Nick was more like Ash.

Zverev & Kerber are nice enough people and players but they are quite a few rungs down the ladder in terms of popularity in Australia compared to Nick, Ash (let alone Fed, Nadal, Djoker).

Being from an indigen background, also probably doesn't help.
umm what? Cathy Freeman is probably the most famous and beloved Australian athlete of the past 25 years. And in Australia's most popular sport (Aussie Rules football), indigenous athletes are among the most popular players.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts