Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
731 Posts
Only in the USA. Europe is thriving!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,640 Posts
europe ratings were down as well :) at least that is what ESPNEWS reported :) they said ratings were down, here in the states and "overseas"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,742 Posts
The numbers prove once and for all: American TV has blundered by only promoting American players.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,012 Posts
Beggin' Beguine said:
The numbers prove once and for all: American TV has blundered by only promoting American players.
LOL. this much is true. but what about those who knew who the finalists were, but JUST WEREN'T INTERESTED?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,640 Posts
Beggin' Beguine said:
The numbers prove once and for all: American TV has blundered by only promoting American players.
do you think before you speak too?

its "american" ratings. with venus and serena (believe it or not both american) in the finals last year, it makes more sense for the "americans in the world of america" to want to watch them instead of venus and serena.

now they said the raitings were down in europe as well, so who knows what excuse u can come up here :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,640 Posts
dunno about the mens final. but i doubt it was even close to the sampras and agassi match from last year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,096 Posts
SerenaSlam said:
europe ratings were down as well :) at least that is what ESPNEWS reported :) they said ratings were down, here in the states and "overseas"
I am glad that this makes you so happy! Well I think it being 3am in the UK and 4am in Central Europe when the final was on could mean low ratings over here.. I don't have facts and figures but I really dont think in Belgium in particular, that ratings were lower. A lot more people will have stayed up to watch an all Belgian final than 2 Americans. These are the two biggest female sports stars in Belgium and household names, so I really doubt the ratings were lower over there. Maybe I am wrong and some Belgians on the board can correct me if they are not as famous as I imagine they would be over there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,616 Posts
3.5 millions vs over 6 millions last year for mens final..

2.5 millsions for womens final, last year the sisters were over 5 millions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,837 Posts
Whoa, even Roddick: The Chosen One, America's Great Hope, The Shining Star :worship: etc. couldn't inflate the men's ratings :eek:

What the hell did the audience want?! Would they only be satisfied with an Agassi-Roddick final? :confused:

In that light, the women's final doesn't seem so much worse off. JenCap is and was much less hyped than Roddick so I don't think her presence at the finals would've done something Andy's presence couldn't do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,207 Posts
Well of course it would be lower, they were measuring American ratings. Most americans, especially the non-hardcore fans wouldn't watch two belgians play for the us open final. Now, I don't believe that ratings were down in Europe. I do not really trust espnnews as a reliable source and until they can come up and give me the numbers for the entire European continent, I will not believe that the ratings were down over there. When espnnews says things like overseas, they mean Britain. Thats the way the American media works people, its sickening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,942 Posts
faboozadoo15 said:
How About The Mens Final???
You prpobably know that the men's finals were the least watched in five years. Here is the article:



Few Watch U.S. Open Men's Final on TV

.c The Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - The rain-hampered U.S. Open ended with the least-watched men's final since 1998.

Andy Roddick's 6-3, 7-6 (2), 6-3 victory over Juan Carlos Ferrero of Spain on Sunday afternoon drew a 3.5 preliminary national rating on CBS. That means an average of 3.5 percent of the country's TV homes tuned in at any given moment.

It was the first Grand Slam final for Roddick, a 21-year-old American.

The rating represents a 44 percent drop from the 6.2 rating last year, when Pete Sampras beat longtime rival Andre Agassi in four sets for his 14th major title.

Sampras or Agassi played in the Open's championship match each of the past four years. The last time neither did was in 1998, when Patrick Rafter beat Mark Philippoussis in an all-Australian final, and the rating was 2.7.

The women's final Saturday between Justine Henin-Hardenne and fellow Belgian Kim Clijsters had a preliminary national rating of 2.5. That was a 52 percent drop from 2002, when Serena Williams beat older sister Venus.



09/08/03 17:52 EDT

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press.


I can see why the women's final did so bad in the ratings, but I don't know why Roddick did. The ony thing I can come up with is that this was the opening weekend for NFL football in the states, but that was the case last year, so it has to be something else. It isn't like Andy isn't well known in the US.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,126 Posts
lizchris said:
You prpobably know that the men's finals were the least watched in five years. Here is the article:



Few Watch U.S. Open Men's Final on TV

.c The Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) - The rain-hampered U.S. Open ended with the least-watched men's final since 1998.

Andy Roddick's 6-3, 7-6 (2), 6-3 victory over Juan Carlos Ferrero of Spain on Sunday afternoon drew a 3.5 preliminary national rating on CBS. That means an average of 3.5 percent of the country's TV homes tuned in at any given moment.

It was the first Grand Slam final for Roddick, a 21-year-old American.

The rating represents a 44 percent drop from the 6.2 rating last year, when Pete Sampras beat longtime rival Andre Agassi in four sets for his 14th major title.

Sampras or Agassi played in the Open's championship match each of the past four years. The last time neither did was in 1998, when Patrick Rafter beat Mark Philippoussis in an all-Australian final, and the rating was 2.7.

The women's final Saturday between Justine Henin-Hardenne and fellow Belgian Kim Clijsters had a preliminary national rating of 2.5. That was a 52 percent drop from 2002, when Serena Williams beat older sister Venus.



09/08/03 17:52 EDT

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press.


I can see why the women's final did so bad in the ratings, but I don't know why Roddick did. The ony thing I can come up with is that this was the opening weekend for NFL football in the states, but that was the case last year, so it has to be something else. It isn't like Andy isn't well known in the US.

It does prove that V&S are missed desperately.
I think the thing is that they bring in a whole different audience that doesn't usually watch tennis except for them.

As for Roddick, the American viewer's may know him
but not enough to watch yet. He has a ways to go before reaching Pete/Andre status that'll make more people want to watch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,006 Posts
While the Williamses ratings have suffered a decline in recent months, their ratings are still very, very respectable and are more than 50 percent higher than the Belgians.

P.S. I noticed that Mary Carillo didnt continusly trash the poor quailty of play that this final had as she had no problems doing with an obviously injured Venus Williams and Serena Williams final at Wimbeldon this year. This just goes to show the very obvious double standard that the tennis world is imposing right now and that, I have zero respect for.
 

·
Chionophile
Joined
·
40,070 Posts
Anyway, it's better that tennis has lower ratings. High ratings = low class sports like football and basketball. High ratings mean most people watch it. Low ratings mean it's not a part of pop culture, that only exclusive people watch it. That's why I like tennis in the first place. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,790 Posts
caelestia said:
Whoa, even Roddick: The Chosen One, America's Great Hope, The Shining Star :worship: etc. couldn't inflate the men's ratings :eek:

What the hell did the audience want?! Would they only be satisfied with an Agassi-Roddick final? :confused:

In that light, the women's final doesn't seem so much worse off. JenCap is and was much less hyped than Roddick so I don't think her presence at the finals would've done something Andy's presence couldn't do.
:bowdown:
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top