Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps I am rather naive, but I watched the news yesterday with horror at the hazing incident at Glenbrook North High School in Illinois. Even worse than the escalating violence, I found the reaction of one particular student to be quite sad. She stated, "I really don't see what the big deal is. Some girl got her head cut open, but it's not like anyone died." My reaction to that is what is the frame of reference that young people have anymore for what is acceptable behavior. In this young woman's opinion, someone had to die before she would find the level of violence in this hazing unacceptable. That type of thinking is frightening to me. It seems that young people really don't have a frame of reference for their behavior and will take things to the extreme in order to fit in. Is peer pressure that great? Will people bully others in order to find acceptance or even worse, do victims become bullies in order to reclaim some of their lost dignity? I have to wonder about that.

Here is an article on this issue.

Initiation turned hazing investigated
Five end up in hospital after touch football game

Wednesday, May 7, 2003 Posted: 11:40 PM EDT (0340 GMT)

Illinois police are investigating an incident that started as a touch football game but which escalated into violence that sent five girls to a hospital. CNN's Whitney Casey reports (May 8)

NORTHBROOK, Illinois (CNN) -- Authorities Wednesday were investigating what started as a touch football game between high school junior and senior girls but escalated into violence on the younger girls, sending five to a hospital.

Amateur videotape shot at the scene, of what was supposed to be an initiation for Glenbrook North High School junior girls, shows several students huddled together on the ground while others throw objects at them, including large plastic buckets.

One girl walks behind the seated girls and slaps them on the back of the head. Another girl holds up what appears to be an intestine. At least one girl reported having a pig's intestine wrapped around her neck.

Five girls were treated and released at Glenbrook Hospital, spokeswoman Karen Ganz told CNN Wednesday. Ganz declined to describe their injuries because the patients are minors.

"Basically it started out as a fun hazing like our initiation into our senior year," one girl who had been injured said. "About 10 minutes into it, everything changed -- buckets were flying ... people were bleeding. Girls were unconscious."

Dozens of students had come to watch the event and some of them, including male bystanders, joined in.

"When I looked up and I saw blood, I knew that this wasn't right," another girl said. "This is from a paint can being thrown at me," she said, pointing to her shoulder. "Tabasco sauce, vinegar and stuff like that [was put] in my eye."

Witnesses also reported urine, feces and fish guts were thrown, and others said they had been forced to eat mud.

The Cook County sheriff's department and the county's Forest Preserve District police are investigating the incident, which happened on Forest Preserve property near Northbrook.

The high school principal said he was "very sad" about what happened.

Glenbrook North High School is in Northbrook, a suburb north of Chicago, Illinois.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
I saw the thing on televison and i was disgusted to know that goes on.I almost wanted to reach into the telly and help those girls.The fact that that goes on is appalling.the quote you said is quite sad too if that girl thinks someone has to die before the violence is too much she is very much mistaken!

·
Banned
618 Posts
yes, i saw this on tv last night as well and it was very appalling...is this what feminism teaching has brought to these girls? i mean they were acting every bit as worse than an angry pack of males...this is what happens when individualism is trivilaized in schools and group think is shrined--or a predictable result of the public schooling system

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
my high never did the hazing thing... we arent that fucking stupid.

i dont see the point of seniors initiating junior girls... the seniors will be gone by next year so who gives a fuck about what they think? ive always thought that hazing was for freshmen

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
empiremaker03 said:
yes, i saw this on tv last night as well and it was very appalling...is this what feminism teaching has brought to these girls? i mean they were acting every bit as worse than an angry pack of males...this is what happens when individualism is trivilaized in schools and group think is shrined--or a predictable result of the public schooling system
feminism teaching? nah... it has to do with the yuppie parents ignoring their children. parents dont give their children the attention they need... they just throw them in front of a tv and buy them whatever they want. children just arent given a strong foundation or morals n all that blah. they want the schools to teach them everything. and all schools do nowadays, whether it be public or private, is stress memorizing material just cos kids can pass standardized tests. very few teachers actually "teach" information that a child will remember.

everyone is shocked cos this happened in the burbs... much worse shit goes on in the city but since its expected nobody gives a shit. im not shocked at all... i know firsthand how nasty girls can get. daddys girls no more.

·
Banned
618 Posts
i tend to agree will all...but still think having not teaching young girls to act like ladies causes much of this...and the same goes for boys not being taught to be gentlemen

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,676 Posts
decemberlove said:
ive always thought that hazing was for freshmen
... when i was in hs freshman were hazed not the juniors but not to that extent - sth more so childish, such as throwing freshman in the river ect sort of thing lol .. quite lame indeed ;)

·
Registered
19,008 Posts
*sigh*... girls = :devil:

but this was just crazy :eek: ppl actually wanting to hurt each other. :confused:

·
Banned
618 Posts
Big Fat Pink Elephant said:
*sigh*... girls = :devil:
damn! never thought of that--and to think i spent time analyzing more complicated ideas...

i guess according to experts this happens far more than realized--this just happened to get all recorded from a home camera and it was not pretty...but human beings acting like animals never is:(

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I could not believe what I saw when I saw the video, and I have only been out of high school for 2 yrs.

I also saw the girls and I about hit the floor at her comment "so what if a girl got her head split open, it is not like anyone died." I am sure she used the words "split open" which is just disturbing in its own right..

·
Banned
13,390 Posts
empiremaker03 said:
i agree with you em, but i don't think it's necessarily just the fault of feminism. for the most part...we have more women today, but far fewer ladies. i think it's a home problem. :wavey:

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
The video and violent act perpetrated by these girls was sickening to watch! It was like a combination of Real T.V., a music video, professional wrestling and bad values rolled into one! :mad: The girls seemed to really be enjoying pummeling their victims. I doubt they are even sincerely sorry. Fortunately none of the girls were killed. But such a tragedy could have happended,

I hope the girls who did this face assault charges. That would indeed be fitting.

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
I fail to see what feminism has to do with hazing. :confused: I suppose some term has to be conjured up to justify what happened. It couldn't be because the girls are just badasses and want to outdo the previous class with something extradinarily dumb. No, no it must be those damn feminists! :rolleyes:

Girls are coming up brutal. If they're not teasing each other, they're spreading rumors, giving bj's to their 'friends' in middle school, or doing something as outrageous as this for acceptance. We have devalued women so much in this society (Girls Gone Wild) that girls grow up thinking that they have to do A B C to get respect and acceptance. When I was in high school, the rites of passage included following all the trends (drinking NAYA, using victoria's secret body sprays/lotion while in class, clinique makeup, old navy and a&f clothes). There was no initiation; that was for the sorority you wanted to join in college.

In the age where parents allow children to have alcohol parties in the basement because 'they're going to do it anyway and I'd rather they be under my supervision', some children do not know the boundaries between what's right and wrong. And they frankly don't give a damn because what their friend's think is the most important thing to them. Forget obeying their parents, the law or whoever; friends first, consequences later. Low-self esteem will allow horrible things to occur and yeah, when you've got classmates shooting others to death, a game of touch football where a few people got hurt ain't so bad and not 'such a big deal'.

Reactions: Leena and Mr. Man

·
Banned
3,702 Posts
cariosity said:
I fail to see what feminism has to do with hazing. :confused: I suppose some term has to be conjured up to justify what happened. It couldn't be because the girls are just badasses and want to outdo the previous class with something extradinarily dumb. No, no it must be those damn feminists! :rolleyes:

Girls are coming up brutal. If they're not teasing each other, they're spreading rumors, giving bj's to their 'friends' in middle school, or doing something as outrageous as this for acceptance. We have devalued women so much in this society (Girls Gone Wild) that girls grow up thinking that they have to do A B C to get respect and acceptance. When I was in high school, the rites of passage included following all the trends (drinking NAYA, using victoria's secret body sprays/lotion while in class, clinique makeup, old navy and a&f clothes). There was no initiation; that was for the sorority you wanted to join in college.

In the age where parents allow children to have alcohol parties in the basement because 'they're going to do it anyway and I'd rather they be under my supervision', some children do not know the boundaries between what's right and wrong. And they frankly don't give a damn because what their friend's think is the most important thing to them. Forget obeying their parents, the law or whoever; friends first, consequences later. Low-self esteem will allow horrible things to occur and yeah, when you've got classmates shooting others to death, a game of touch football where a few people got hurt ain't so bad and not 'such a big deal'.
I just want to commend you for a great post. :)

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
wow...im glad there's no "hazing" in our high school...

·
Banned
618 Posts
Rebecca said:
You were born in the wrong era, empiremaker03 .
i suppose so...but so glad i was born when i was to be around for the Martina Hingis era:)

DeuceDiva said:
i agree with you em, but i don't think it's necessarily just the fault of feminism. for the most part...we have more women today, but far fewer ladies. i think it's a home problem. :wavey:
i said femisism played a part b/c they were acting more like football players than ballet dancers...and i agree totally there are far too few ladies...it most certainly is a home problem--the idea that the government is to be responsible for what parents are to be responsible for (federal day care comes to mind)...but i also believe it's part of a conspiracy of a group that wants the teaching of values to be nulled (and those who promote trash tv, bad music, violent video games, whole lanquage, multiculturalism) it's all the same racket...

cariosity said:
. We have devalued women so much in this society (Girls Gone Wild) that girls grow up thinking that they have to do A B C to get respect and acceptance. When I was in high school, the rites of passage included following all the trends (drinking NAYA, using victoria's secret body sprays/lotion while in class, clinique makeup, old navy and a&f clothes). There was no initiation; that was for the sorority you wanted to join in college..

i agree totally that women are devalued with trash like Girls Gone Wild and all its varients...it really makes cringe seeing such treatment of girls...i'd prefer admiring them as figure skaters or ballet dancers--or tennis players!!!!...and the idea that young girls have to "dumb down" to be popular is appalling--or worse doing things like you mentioned or thinking they have to be like such poor role models like Cristina/Britanny...i truly don't understand that mentality--never have...every life is so precious and each individual is so unique so why the need to be like everyone else?

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
I agree. :D

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
really it all can be traced back to the parents... they should have mandatory parenting classes or something. our future is going to hell.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts