Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering the success of the US Open Series in awarding more money to the winner and runner up of the Series. How about making the major clay court tournaments in europe such as Warsaw, Berlin and Rome part of this as an incentive for players to prepare for the French and Possibly increase their earnings.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
yer i also think they should have a grass court seson cause the build up to wimbledon is soooooooo small compared to the build up to any other majour the wta need to think about a new calender to make it more interesting

·
Registered
21,146 Posts
Not sure this concept could be applied in Europe.... ;)

Reactions: Stamp Paid

·
Registered
13,541 Posts
they should have one leading up to each slam. and Wimbledon should have more grass court tournaments leading up to it.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
good idea! Also more grass tournaments please.

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
On a practical level, there IS a 'French Open' series. They just don't give out double prize money for it. Problem is, you're dealing with four different national associations. At least. The USTA just had to get the Canadians to buy into it.

Reactions: In The Zone

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
re. the Wimbledon lead up:

Grass isn't a truly major surface, it's antiquated and outdated. It's great fun to watch, but a lot of pro's don't play a match on grass until they reach the level to play at Wimbledon. That's rarely the case with clay or hardcourts.

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
Pretty good idea :yeah: All the grand slams should probably have one - too bad the Aus starts so early in the season.

·
Registered
13,541 Posts
re. the Wimbledon lead up:

Grass isn't a truly major surface, it's antiquated and outdated. It's great fun to watch, but a lot of pro's don't play a match on grass until they reach the level to play at Wimbledon. That's rarely the case with clay or hardcourts.
I think they should have a longer grass court season then the one they do. I don't understand why the have so few grass court tournaments? Grass used to be the top surface 30 years ago.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I think a French Open Series would be awesome for tennis. It'd give people info on who is really ready for RG.

·
it's just me against the music.
27,322 Posts
On a practical level, there IS a 'French Open' series. They just don't give out double prize money for it. Problem is, you're dealing with four different national associations. At least. The USTA just had to get the Canadians to buy into it.
Well said. Exactly the whole point. Everyone is looking at the dreams, not the real technicalities. Of course, a French Open Series would be great but it will be hard to configure and divide the profits.

·
Your fav could never....
9,157 Posts
yer i also think they should have a grass court seson cause the build up to wimbledon is soooooooo small compared to the build up to any other majour the wta need to think about a new calender to make it more interesting
Oh come on, the Australian Open only has 2 weeks preparation...so dont whinge over Wimbledon

The French and US Open (in particular) have WAY too long a preparation these should be shortened and the Aussie Open and Wimby should have at least 3 week preparation ;)

·
Premium Member
15,684 Posts
Not sure this concept could be applied in Europe.... ;)
Yeah the real reason they made the USO series was to get attendance and tv ratings up in the USA Europe doesnt need that so they would be spending alot of money for nothing really

1 - 19 of 19 Posts