Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know Hopman Cup is gone to make way for the ATP Cup starting next year, but based on the fan reactions I think it’s quite clear everyone wants the Hopman Cup to stay as its unique mixed format give tennis fans from ATP/WTA a rare chance to see top players from both tours interacting.

As much as I want a serious world mixed tournament, the light-heartedness of Hopman Cup is what defines it and is one of the most important reasons why so many top players wants to go, in contrast to Davis/Fed Cup where some top players (Federer, Sharapova before, Serena) are reluctant to join and only join when they need it to qualify for Olympics.

If there were to be a new tournament to replace the Hopman Cup, what do you think the format should be? How many players should be included and how many rounds should they play?

·
Registered
25,275 Posts
ITF has said it's coming back in 2021, but they don't know if it will still be in Australia at the start of the year. It could have a new location and date.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
ITF has said it's coming back in 2021, but they don't know if it will still be in Australia at the start of the year. It could have a new location and date.
Given that Tennis Australia killed off the original I hope it's held anywhere but Australia.

·
Registered
112,693 Posts
I want to see what WTA January looks like in 2020. Players want matches before a major so draws should be strong

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
I think it should be in Canaduh and called the Gender Cup, and this will be the trophy...

... it will of course be filled with Tim Horton's coffee and will be accompanied by a maple donut.

We will host it during March and it will be played on snow... no, we do not have an unfair advantage on snow! :eek:h:

The format will be the same as the Hopman with bonus points being awarded to the ladies when they nail the men in their grapes.

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
It’s needs to stay in Australia because if it doesn’t it is 100% going to China

Unless they move it to a different part of the year.

After Wimbledon is really the only other best Calendar time.

Perth was just fine. Perth needs a tournament honestly. Should have been a YEC contender.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Perth was just fine. Perth needs a tournament honestly. Should have been a YEC contender.
Honestly I had never considered this but now that you mention it wow yes

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
Honestly I had never considered this but now that you mention it wow yes
Literally one of the easiest sells no one thought about because of Hopman - and then it was a axed.

It would have been sold out months in advance, phenomenal atmosphere, stunning weather, huge stadium with an Australian qualifier probably most of the next decade.

What a waste it all is now.

·
Registered
14,046 Posts
It’s needs to stay in Australia because if it doesn’t it is 100% going to China

Unless they move it to a different part of the year.

After Wimbledon is really the only other best Calendar time.

Perth has a “the tournament” (the ATP cup )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts