Tennis Forum banner

521 - 534 of 534 Posts

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I want some new blood too, but these kids aren't cutting it. I don't know if the increase in prize money overall has made them complacent and they've realized they don't need to win slams to have successful career or what, but they have no killer instinct. They can beat the big 3 all they want in tour tournaments, but if they're just gonna get steamrolled in slams then they're pretty much non existent to me. I jumped on the Zvitolina train a little too early and that's been a huge bust.

As far as Thiem goes I would love to see him win RG, but it's hard to imagine anyone but Nadal at RG. I don't care how injured he's been or how bad Godvak beat him at the AO, he's still the one to beat. At least he knows how to play BO5 matches :lol:.

Tsitsipas beating Regina was fun, but Regina has been kind of a mess since Wimbledon 2017. While they had a nice breakthrough at the AO, both Tsitsipas and Pouille were completely massacred by Rafole. I want to see someone ruin the Fedalovic fairytale, like Novak did to Fedal, but it looks like it's just gonna be more of the old guard simply getting old rather then actively kicked out.

To be fair, Nadal vs. Djokovic and Nadal vs. Del Potro at Wimbledon last year were fantastic matches. The first set of Nadal vs. Djokovic in Rome was extremely high quality too IIRC, so they can still produce when they're healthy.

·
Premium Member
20,324 Posts
Zverev is a bit of a head scratcher for me. The gap in his tour event results vs the majors is strange.

But I think Thiem, Tsitsipas, Shapovalov etc do have the drive to push it at the majors. We will see this year I guess. But there is certainly more promise there than the lost generation of Nishikori, Berdych etc who basically bent over vs various big 3 players.

I do always wonder how things would have shaken out had Delpo been anywhere close to healthy for the majority of his career. I feel like he would have kept Murray out and been the 4th member of the big 4 instead.

·
Rena's Army
34,943 Posts
the 5 set drama makes such a big difference on the ATP tho. The tour now is about how long you can play tennis for on the slow courts as opposed to how skilled you are at tennis. I think that has allowed the big 3 to keep being dominant at slams while they can get an upset or two at the other tournaments. Unless you beat them in straights at slam it's hard to do it in 5 since more often than not the younger ones are wilting :eek: makes it a bit boring to watch

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I had the same question with Zverev, but once you analyze his game it's pretty simple why he sucks in BO5. The best thing he has going for him is his weight of shot, and in a BO5 format his opponents have more than enough time to adapt. When they do it all goes downhill from there. The fact that he has no forehand and is terrible at net (especially for being such a tall player) doesn't help. He also grinds way too much when he should be the aggressor, but since he has no depth to his forehand he can't. Even if his backhand is great, you can't reach the next level on the ATP with such a weak forehand. Plain and simple. His game has a lot of holes and that got lost in the whole "youngest ever to win 3 Masters 1000s" or whatever hype.

·
Premium Member
20,324 Posts
the 5 set drama makes such a big difference on the ATP tho. The tour now is about how long you can play tennis for on the slow courts as opposed to how skilled you are at tennis. I think that has allowed the big 3 to keep being dominant at slams while they can get an upset or two at the other tournaments. Unless you beat them in straights at slam it's hard to do it in 5 since more often than not the younger ones are wilting :eek: makes it a bit boring to watch

This is true. But it's so weird because the top level younger guys have enough money for good trainers and fitness programs. They are also in most instances 8-10+ years younger. They naturally have more stamina or should. The lost generation's issue was mostly mental IMO. They never seemed to have the drive to actually beat the top guys.

I had the same question with Zverev, but once you analyze his game it's pretty simple why he sucks in BO5. The best thing he has going for him is his weight of shot, and in a BO5 format his opponents have more than enough time to adapt. When they do it all goes downhill from there. The fact that he has no forehand and is terrible at net (especially for being such a tall player) doesn't help. He also grinds way too much when he should be the aggressor, but since he has no depth to his forehand he can't. Even if his backhand is great, you can't reach the next level on the ATP with such a weak forehand. Plain and simple. His game has a lot of holes and that got lost in the whole "youngest ever to win 3 Masters 1000s" or whatever hype.

Spot on analysis. I think he'll get it together one day. But probably not with enough time to become a double digit slam holder and I think he'll get passed by younger better players.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I love seeing Serena play on Clay and I hope she does well at Rome and the French Open a 4th title in Paris would put her level with Justine Henin's 4 titles and she would emulate Steffi with 4 Career Grand Slams

·
Premium Member
20,324 Posts
I always kii at Pliskova. They wank all over her serve...but if all it can get you is a P900 who cares? :lol:

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
What a crap tournament. Serena better restore order next year. At least Barty stopped that lucky witch Plisbot.
I always kii at Pliskova. They wank all over her serve...but if all it can get you is a P900 who cares? :lol:
The accuracy in both statements. Trash tournament. Trash main stadium. I actually kinda like Barty. She is lowkey and was respectful of the queen. Lets just hurry up and get to clay. Serena better be training once shes healthy.

·
Registered
698 Posts
And she's won a grand total of ONE Premier 5 :hysteric:, Cincy in 2016 where no top players gave a fuck because it was the week after the Rio Olympics which she decided to skip.

She's forever a Premier Queen and a QF girl in Slams :rolls: I always cackle at her becoming #1 straight after her R2 exit in Wimbledon 2017. Peak WTA.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Bye Pliskova, every tongue that rises against the queen shall fall!

·
Registered
14,186 Posts

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
She has some nerve talking shit after she destroyed that umpire chair. Of course no one gave her shit for that.

Serena needs to start giving her the the Martha treatment. It's bad enough she's scored 2 lucky wins at slams.

521 - 534 of 534 Posts