221 - 240 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
84,950 Posts
DEAD :lol:

·
Premium Member
20,324 Posts
I think in a couple of years we might very well look at this match as a passing of the torch moment. Graf was only 30 when she played Serena, so that's already that. Serena's still Serena, but I think Naomi is starting to show us she can/will be the future.
I think we have to see some consistency from Osaka first. IW was great but can she back it up. That's what the young women have lacked. They haven't been able to go on a run after a win.

Sloane and Keys are prime examples. Both ahead of Osaka but no consistency.

I'm curious to see if she can sustain her form. She certainly seems more interested (less lazy) than Stephens.

·
Registered
48 Posts
People are really losing it over this loss. It's a process and right now it's getting back in shape and getting match play for the slams. As a Venus fan, we went through this after the diagnosis and it was awful but ultimately rewarding to see just how hard Venus worked to continue to play. Be happy Serena survived her daughter's birth and is on the tennis court when she could have retired and not ever play again. She's not a robot and no matter how disappointed people are it doesn't compare to how disappointed Serena probably feels since she takes things so hard. She's gonna rise again, no doubt.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
People are really losing it over this loss. It's a process and right now it's getting back in shape and getting match play for the slams. As a Venus fan, we went through this after the diagnosis and it was awful but ultimately rewarding to see just how hard Venus worked to continue to play. Be happy Serena survived her daughter's birth and is on the tennis court when she could have retired and not ever play again. She's not a robot and no matter how disappointed people are it doesn't compare to how disappointed Serena probably feels since she takes things so hard. She's gonna rise again, no doubt.
Totally agree, we have to remember that her career, and her life could have ended after the embolism.

·
Registered
47,498 Posts
All part of the process. We congratulate Naomi and keep the faith in Serena.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I don’t like her behaviour. It reminds me when she left the grounds with this singer after losing to Vinci in the USO.
Bad loser.Stupid. Not respectuous for her team and the medias.
She’s not ready. Ok. But she should assume it. Everybody can see she has to lose weight, she doesn’t look like an athlete. Be modest Rena, work work and work, hire a new chef (Lauren, plz come back !) play more tournaments. And be gracious in losing.
How about you people stop policing Serena’s behaviour?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I think we have to see some consistency from Osaka first. IW was great but can she back it up. That's what the young women have lacked. They haven't been able to go on a run after a win.

Sloane and Keys are prime examples. Both ahead of Osaka but no consistency.

I'm curious to see if she can sustain her form. She certainly seems more interested (less lazy) than Stephens.
lol a passing of the torch when Serena's coming back from pregnancy, a year off, and a pulmonary embolism...

If we look back in five years and Serena/Venus never wins a GS, the torch was passed to Muguruza at the FO 2016 and Wimbledon 2017, when both Serena and Venus were at a high level for their age playing in a GS final they have been so accustomed to winning.

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,114 Posts
Optimum Performance: Joining Serena Williams' comeback in Florida | NOLA.com

MIAMI - Serena Williams recently called me back into action for my 10th year. I was activated by a text that said, "I think I'm officially ready for you."

The implication was that Williams had a good enough baseline fitness level to withstand the intensity that I bring to the table - something I have heard for many years from numerous pros with whom I've worked.

Story by
Mackie Shilstone,
Contributing writer

Williams has been working back from a 14-month layoff, the result from the C-section birth of her first child, Olympia Alexis Ohanian Jr., in September of last year, and a post-delivery challenge from a pulmonary embolism.

At the Indian Wells tournament, Williams won her first-round match but succumbed to her sister Venus in round 2.

In looking over Williams' earlier match play, it was obvious that my focus needed to be on movement - first step to the ball, lateral shuffling, and change of direction - all of which embodies targeting the range of motion and strength of the hip capsule.

In pro tennis, as in most sports, you can say that so go the hips - so goes the torso rotation, shoulder and elbow mechanics, and performance. This dynamic is especially true for the female athlete, who possesses increased hip internal rotation - the result of the female anatomical structure.

With increased hip internal rotation, there is a higher chance for a miss-tracking of the patella (knee cap), along with a higher risk to anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) issues during jumping and landing tasks. The end result can also increase the number of steps to a lateral target - like ground strokes in tennis.

Our initial training began five days before Williams' first scheduled match at the Miami Open in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.

Her coach - Patrick Mouratoglou - began the first session by focusing on the technical aspects of the game - cross-court and down-the-line shots, quick reaction at and to the net, close-in volleys with her hitting partner, and drop shots.

I monitored the session with a Polar OH-1 - a heart rate monitor with advanced infrared pulse assessment technology from blood flow. What's unique about the OH-1 is its ability to pick up pulse rate changes, using Bluetooth technology, as far away as 100 yards.

Using the Polar Beats and Flow apps with my smart phone, I get real time pulse rate changes.

Mouratoglou's technical work resulted in a moderate strain to Williams' cardiovascular system - which is what you would expect, when teaching a skill.

My tactical session - five rounds of 2 minutes of volleying with Williams' hitting partner followed by variations of on court foot work and change of direction patterns with 1-2 minutes of transition time - resulted in a moderate to high intensity training effect - approaching match play - 90 percent of heart rate maximum.

During the second day of our Miami preparation, Williams hit with Varvara Lepchenko, a south paw (lefty), for 2 hours. Based on Williams' heart rate registration, the work simulated the intensity of match play - especially since each volley segment lasted 2 minutes before a short break.

The high intensity work spanned 24 minutes. In a typical three set match, the entire movement time lasts roughly fifteen minutes, when you exclude the change-over and post set breaks.

The second phase of the Williams-Lepchenko session was devoted to serve and returns - with a decidedly lower intensity and heart rates.

The following day, we moved to Key Biscayne, Florida - the site of the Miami Open - for continued preparation for a March 21 match.

Williams subsequently lost her first-round match to Naomi Osaka, who had just won the Indian Wells tournament. After the match Williams commented, "Every tournament is an opportunity for me to better understand the areas I need to improve to be my best. Naomi played a great match and I learn something each time I play."

The climb back continues - a work in progress.

·
Registered
84,950 Posts
A few days later I am not so sad anymore..mor that I am happy that she is bck..it is a long way to go but I am sure whe will do it! But it ist her hardest way ever to get back to the top..she did it before but now, after that illness, that age, that pregnancy..it is her hardest way!! And we are on her side!!! Everything is bonus now for the best career ever anyway!! Go queen!!!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
We all come around in our own time :|

·
Premium Member
19,674 Posts

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
I don’t like her behaviour. It reminds me when she left the grounds with this singer after losing to Vinci in the USO.
Bad loser.Stupid. Not respectuous for her team and the medias.
She’s not ready. Ok. But she should assume it. Everybody can see she has to lose weight, she doesn’t look like an athlete. Be modest Rena, work work and work, hire a new chef (Lauren, plz come back !) play more tournaments. And be gracious in losing.
Well, don't FOLLOW her if you don't like her behavior and think that she's a sore loser.

See, Problem solved :shrug:

And when has the media ever really respected the Williams FAMILY?

PLEASE :rolleyes:

·
Registered
84,950 Posts
Then don't FOLLOW her if you don't like her behavior and think she's a sore loser. See, Problem solved :shrug:

And when has the media ever really respected the Williams FAMILY?

PLEASE :rolleyes:
:worship:

remember that PC in IW..

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
lol a passing of the torch when Serena's coming back from pregnancy, a year off, and a pulmonary embolism...

If we look back in five years and Serena/Venus never wins a GS, the torch was passed to Muguruza at the FO 2016 and Wimbledon 2017, when both Serena and Venus were at a high level for their age playing in a GS final they have been so accustomed to winning.
In the bolded is what I take exception to.

As for this fucking torch-passing, it was passed from Serena to Maria in 2004 and again in 2007 even after she beat the hell out of PED-using Maria in less than 1 hour in the 2007 AO Open finals--Said Mary Shytrillo :lol:

Yeah, It's going to take Serena time to come back, and whoever thought she could stroll out on court and beat an in-form player with some talent in Osaka in 2 (Like my guy friend whose a fool :eek:) doesn't know tennis. We have to remember that Ree's no spring chicken, she has that knee-related issue to deal with, plus as you said she had an extremely difficult post-pregnancy (c-section/pulmonary embolism), and she hasn't IMHO healed from the c-section enough to serve properly/continually, nor be as physical as she CAN/NEEDS to be in order to make her last run in the best shape she can be IN. Hell, Serena just revealed that she couldn't even WALK after she had AO Jr., 4 months ago so yeah, it's gonna take her a while to come back, and even then we have to hope that she can stay HEALTHY/uninjured during her comeback.

221 - 240 of 254 Posts