Tennis Forum banner

201 - 220 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
Beating a -20% Serena isn't showing herself as the real deal. Maybe winning IW is. You're too desperate to have this as a passing the torch moment when it CLEARLY isn't.

Same torch-passing was held for: Garbine, Sloane, Ostapenko and none of the 3 is stable or consistent at the moment. Two people as I recall (Who probably were dropped on their heads) were in GM last week comparing Kasatkina to Serena last week :spit: Lawd Jesus :lol:

As for the torch being passed, Serena's PAST prime, but that she was able to win the 2017 AO Open slam @ 35 without dropping a set while pregnant shows that she IS the GOAT, and her last big comeback happened after she almost died (Bloodclots). Yes, the torch WILL be passed for good sooner rather than later, and as a 20 plus year fan, I want for SERENA to see what SERENA has left after she's attempted this final comeback @ FULL strength/healthy (Core/c-sectoin healed/knee holding up) and with some actual match play/windage under her belt @ 36, and all of THAT is a process and even on some of that, she's going to have to have Lady Luck on her side (And of course Jehovah there too). SERENA is nowhere NEAR being that 2017 AO Open champion. Now, if she gets back to that place physically and loses like Kim did in her final year before she retired for good in 2012, well then :shrug: Chick is prideful, and she won't embarass herself, and will KNOW then that it's time to hang up her racket. It's not like she doesn't have a life OUTSIDE of tennis. She always HAS and especially now that she has a family of her OWN and is a great businesswoman/role model, and from all I know and have seen, she seems like a special HUMAN BEING too. My gurl :hug:

And,Until SERENA is at that place or says she's done, she's NOT done YET.

Now as for Osaka, she does seem to have some talent and may win a few slams, but she IS 20 and I don't see a slam in her showcase yet. Serena had won a few slams by the time SHE was 20, while playing much better competition.

As for the post-match presser: OH WELL, shit happens.

I STILL :inlove: muh gurl Ree unconditionally whether she catches/passes Court or not :hug:

·
Registered
84,950 Posts
A natural birth would have prevented all the health complications would have been far easier as well
:eek:

I have no words for that posting :help:

:facepalm:

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
Mental illness ain't no excuse either
Sick of these cacs

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
I think she spoiled over the years :) . Even with the P.E, once she lost wimbledon she went on the tear until that uso final. 2005-2006 struggles were followed by pummeling the cheater AO 2007. 2004 return to win miami. great memories which I think cause us to raise our expectations a bit higher than normal.
NOT me. Serena's 36, not anywhere NEAR proper match shape, rusty, movement bad plus osteoarthritis slows her down too, and she had that difficult c-section situation that she more than likely isn't healed from. That's gonna take TIME to heal, and match-play. But time IS of the essence though. It's a difficult balancing act for Ree, because she HAS to play in order to regain form etc., but she can't rush back or she may do damage to herself physically :sad:

I'm here supporting Ree no matter what happens.

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
Sure it would have been far easier... with a dead baby at the end of it.
A friend's daughter's son was showing signs of fetal distress, and she had to also have an emergency c-section 2 weeks EARLY (Her son was fine thankfully). She had complications from her c-section for MONTHS, and she was younger at 26 than Serena whose going through what she did @ 36, so it's going to take Serena TIME to heal from the c-section, and to SAFELY/SANELY strengthen her core/core muscles.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I did not watch the match but saw the result. I can't express how happy I was to see Serena in IW, no other athlete rouses such emotion in me.

I am so glad that she has returned to fulfill her dreams and I am sure that I too will have to strengten my core muscles, cause it has been a while since I had stomach cramps and butterflies as I anxiously refresh my live score hoping the Queen pulls through a tight match or roaring come on with clenched fist in an empty room with every winner.

I'm ready!!

·
Registered
47,498 Posts
Oh please, the 99 Indians Well's final was competitive. Steffi was still playing excellent tennis. Serena is just coming back from having a c-section and hasn't been active for a year. I don't even think you can make the comparison.
I think in a couple of years we might very well look at this match as a passing of the torch moment. Graf was only 30 when she played Serena, so that's already that. Serena's still Serena, but I think Naomi is starting to show us she can/will be the future.

·
Registered
47,498 Posts
Same torch-passing was held for: Garbine, Sloane, Ostapenko and none of the 3 is stable or consistent at the moment. Two people as I recall (Who probably were dropped on their heads) were in GM last week comparing Kasatkina to Serena last week :spit: Lawd Jesus :lol:

As for the torch being passed, Serena's PAST prime, but that she was able to win the 2017 AO Open slam @ 35 without dropping a set while pregnant shows that she IS the GOAT, and her last big comeback happened after she almost died (Bloodclots). Yes, the torch WILL be passed for good sooner rather than later, and as a 20 plus year fan, I want for SERENA to see what SERENA has left after she's attempted this final comeback @ FULL strength/healthy (Core/c-sectoin healed/knee holding up) and with some actual match play/windage under her belt @ 36, and all of THAT is a process and even on some of that, she's going to have to have Lady Luck on her side (And of course Jehovah there too). SERENA is nowhere NEAR being that 2017 AO Open champion. Now, if she gets back to that place physically and loses like Kim did in her final year before she retired for good in 2012, well then :shrug: Chick is prideful, and she won't embarass herself, and will KNOW then that it's time to hang up her racket. It's not like she doesn't have a life OUTSIDE of tennis. She always HAS and especially now that she has a family of her OWN and is a great businesswoman/role model, and from all I know and have seen, she seems like a special HUMAN BEING too. My gurl :hug:

And,Until SERENA is at that place or says she's done, she's NOT done YET.

Now as for Osaka, she does seem to have some talent and may win a few slams, but she IS 20 and I don't see a slam in her showcase yet. Serena had won a few slams by the time SHE was 20, while playing much better competition.

As for the post-match presser: OH WELL, shit happens.

I STILL :inlove: muh gurl Ree unconditionally whether she catches/passes Court or not :hug:
You guys are sooo sensitive with the passing of the torch thing. Like Serena can't be still be special, while acknowledging that there's a new talent who's let herself be known?
When Serena beat Graf... people called it a passing of the torch in retrospect, but Serena didn't have a major then either and her biggest title till then was Paris.

No need to go all melodramatic over the thing.

·
Registered
84,950 Posts

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Damn damn damn. Didn’t even realize this had already happened. Recoup for clay, gurl.

201 - 220 of 254 Posts