Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a battle and quite a heartbreaker for Leylah. :eek: She served for it in Set 2 and 3 never getting to MP though. She was just too hesitant and waited for Hibino to miss, while before that both of them were very proactive. In the end Hibino just always could use the shorter balls to her advantage to prevail in the end.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Happy for Nao, she has such clean groundies, would love to see her back in the top 100.

Would’ve been funny if Leylah could’ve done to Hibino, what Nao did to Bouchard last year, winning three times in a row, but that story wasn’t to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Fernandez served for the 1st and was broken but got the TB, then served for the match twice (sets 2 & 3) but never came close to a MP as she really tightened up both times and could barely get a serve in. :tape:

Still young though, she needs to work on the mental toughness to close matches out.

·
Registered
16,943 Posts
What so nervous about beating somebody you already beaten twice in 2 sets already last month. :facepalm:

·
Registered
21,858 Posts
:tears:

·
Registered
357 Posts
What so nervous about beating somebody you already beaten twice in 2 sets already last month. :facepalm:
I didn't see the match so just guessing, but maybe playing against a partisan crowd made it more difficult?? It might be a reach because Japanese crowds are usually super respectful of all players-it's not New York.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
I didn't see the match so just guessing, but maybe playing against a partisan crowd made it more difficult?? It might be a reach because Japanese crowds are usually super respectful of all players-it's not New York.
It was on Tennis Channel, that was a surprise. There were not more than 15% of the seats occupied, and the people weren't making much noise. Leylah just lost the important points. Nerves maybe

·
Registered
357 Posts
It was on Tennis Channel, that was a surprise. There were not more than 15% of the seats occupied, and the people weren't making much noise. Leylah just lost the important points. Nerves maybe
Ahh ok, I think it's just part of the learning curve for her. Hoping she can be another Canadian success story transitioning out of juniors and not another Peliwo (who tried his best but just physically limited). I think she just turned 17 and started pros and already top 250 so I have some hope!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I hope Leylah is still growing. She's such a small little thing. I think she's like 5'2".

She is going to need to gain some mass if she hopes to compete with the power hitters in the senior circuit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts