Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
she hasn't basically improved on any of her old weaknesses and against a powerful hitter like Kuznetsova, is reduced to a moonballing retriever with a weak serve and a keen sense of court coverage.. the only things going on for her, are her extraordinaire anticipation and the sad state of women's tennis at this stage.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Jennifer North said:
she hasn't basically improved on any of her old weaknesses and against a powerful hitter like Kuznetsova, is reduced to a moonballing retriever with a weak serve and a keen sense of court coverage.. the only things going on for her, are her extraordinaire anticipation and the sad state of women's tennis at this stage.
She had a match point and lost 7-6 in the third for goodness sakes. Stop writing people off for one loss. Next week we'll all be singing her praises...
I think Hingis is doing well-- and will certainly feel better on the clay. I am no Hingis fan, but even I know that you don't write somone with Hingis' talent off that fast :lol:

**While I recognized that this was a troll thread-- I just couldn't resist** Sorry for keeping the fire burning.

·
Gone with the Wind fabulous!
8,399 Posts
She had match point today. She had 4 match points in a Slam final in 2002 -- one of her worst years. She'll never have another 1997, but it's foolish to write her off. She'll win a tournament eventually.

·
Registered
13,542 Posts
she beat Kuznetsova earlier this year, and she played a really tough match today how can you say she's short lived with a match 7-6 in the third against a big hitter? And she's beated sharapova and davenport among many other top players. Short lived, i think not!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yeh I actually expected her to win today as well....but I dont know if you can just say ''ok, shes done or the success will be short lived''.

Im a big Hingis fan I know, but I honestly believe she will get back up to the top 10 and eventually, maybe next year start REALLY challenging for the titles again.

I too think that Hingis hasn't changed a great deal since she's returned. She's always had talent that's been enough to get her to the later stages of tournaments and I don't think that talent has disappeared. What HAS changed is her hunger.....I do believe that Hingis' lack of power WILL be exploited more and more and players will learn to deal with her tactics. However, I reckon Hingis' motivation has become much much greater and will eventually either FORCE her to change more of her game, or quit.

Only when she quits again will I say her success will be short-lived.

Today was probably a match that she'll win this time next year. She's gonna have ups and downs for sure....but you gotta remember that she's getting some pretty tough draws as well. If you look at other 3rd round match ups, Mauresmo beat Bartoli, Myskina beat Vesnina, Sharapova beat Camerin.....Nothing like Kuznetsova....and she must be pretty tired after Indian Wells last week.

Also remember that Kuznetsova is one of the few players only to beat Mauresmo this year....She's playing pretty well - and Hingis did have match points in this match.

I reckon Hingis might surprise u and win a clay title in the coming weeks....

·
x
34,531 Posts
It's not as if Hingis lost 6-0 6-0 to a powerful hitter like Kutzy. She pushed Svetz all the way to the end.

·
Premium Member
28,056 Posts
The way she is playing now is no good just being passive and consistant she has to play like she did in Australia, agresive, all court, tricky shots, variety awesome net play, her whole repituar.

·
Sports Freak
12,071 Posts
Why are so many of u writing Hingis off..Its not as if she has lost to some unknown player or lost easily.IMO Sveta is playing much better this year than whole of last year.Hope Martina proves all u guys wrong and wins a GS

·
Registered
8,683 Posts
Jennifer North said:
I know I shouldn't bother but here it goes...Martina had a very tough draw this week....And let's not forget that Sveta beating her wasn't an upset! She is still the higher ranked player and a Major Champion!

Martina is obviously still experimenting with some things and didn't play a clean match AT ALL...34 UE is astronomical for her, I realize it's an average amount for most plyers, but anyway...Martina is only getting better at this point. I can't remeber any 'moonballs' that Martina hit during the match. Putting spin on a shot doesn't make it a moonball, sorry.

Despite the fact that Martina did not have her best day, she was in control for most of this match and probably should have pulled it out in the TB. Still, she did quite well IMO and I have extremely high expectations.

People that continually speculate that she is a moonballing retriever are not watching the same matches that I am!

& What is so sad about the state of women's tennis? Upsets? This is drama! This is depth! This is a very healthy state of women's tennis!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,224 Posts
Jennifer North said:
:scratch: Sorry hun, but you are dead wrong. I mean C'mon give her some kind of credit. Now if she was being defeated in the first rounds of tourneys (like some of our favorite players) then you have an argument for her short lived success; but the girl is making it to Finals, Semi-Finals, and Quarters of tourneys, defeating Sharapova, Davenport, and Kuznetsova is major tournaments this year. She played well today against Kuznetsova and I am happy to see Kuznetsova get this win. As everyone on the board has already stated 7-6 in the third set is not a bad effort or any sign that her success will be short lived. Again, you have no basis for your argument and as hard as it is for me to say it, I am proud of Martina Hingis for the effort and intrigue that she is bringing back to the womens game. :worship:

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Considering that this was her eight tournament of the year and that she's basically been playing week in and week out, I'd say that she's darn near burnt-out. To be able to retrieve as many balls as she did while playing the long match that she did after playing all the tournaments that she did, it's really something. To me, she lost a bit of fitness after that first set. Her shots were less penetrating and her movement and footwork stalled. Now that she knows she can reach semis and finals, I expect her to stop playing this many tournaments as soon as she's back in top 16 or maybe top ten. She still needs to get fitter and she'll get that through match play and through training. It can't just happen overnight. Once she gets fit enough to play top players back to back at back to back tournaments, she'll start really challenging for titles.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
I actually agree. She hasn't won any rematches. Kuznetsova is (sorry to her fans) not a top ten material player. She is far too erratic and has shots that are so technically unsound Maria Sharapova could exploit them (and, love her as much as I do, she's sometimes too dense to notice these things.)

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Its not as if Martina has been losing to somebody she should defeat.

and besides,,,look at her ranking.

Jennifer & Monica could only wish they can do better if ever they return....

·
Registered
718 Posts
I don't know how long Hingis' success will last, but it's interesting that she's done well right out of the gate, not unlike how Clijsters was when she returned last year or like Seles did when she first came back after the stabbing. I felt that both Clijsters and Seles actually played their very best early on in their comebacks and that both very slowly got worn down by the tour. I'll be interested to see what happens to HIngis.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Hingis loses a match 7-6 in the third after being up a break twice in the deciding set and having match points, and she's finished? :retard: Keep in mind this girl JUST started playing a little over TWO months ago. She's only going to get better the longer she's on the tour, and it's not even the clay season yet....which she should do well in, seeing as how most of the top girls suck on clay currently.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Jennifer North said:
We'll see.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts