Tennis Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

SKYSPORTS -- Top seed Martina Hingis won the Pan Pacific Open for the fourth time on Sunday, when she beat Monica Seles for the second time in ten days.

The Swiss world number four, winner here in 1997, 1999 and 2000, improved her record this year to 14-1 after capturing her second title of 2002 with a convincing performance at Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium.

Hingis, who now owns a 14-4 career record against Seles, recovered from 1-5 down in the first-set tie-break to take it 8-6 as she forced her American opponent into a series of errors from the baseline.

The third-seeded Seles fought back to take the second set after securing a break in the seventh game thanks to a mis-hit return, but Hingis came back to dominate the third set in her sixth straight Pan Pacific Open final.

"I have worked pretty hard after the surgery so this is kind of like the chocolate sauce on top of the vanilla ice cream to finish like this," said Hingis, who had not won a tier-one tournament since the Kremlin Cup in 2000.

"You always have doubts. Sometimes you ask yourself if you are still good enough but now I can set my expectations and goals very high this year."

Seles admitted she would have to go back to the drawing board after squandering a number of chances to win the first set.

"I got a little bit tight and made some unfortunate mistakes at critical times. You can't afford unforced errors and it's something I have to work on," said the 28-year-old.

"I have to give credit to Martina. She was very steady on the key points and I couldn't come up with the shots."

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Go Martina!!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Congratulations to Martina!!

she started pretty good in the new saison and i believe that she go on like this!

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

so we will see pretty good matches!!

looking forward to the next great tournaments
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts