Tennis Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By JOHN PYE
AP Sports Writer

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Martina Hingis won in her season debut, beating American Lisa Raymond in straight sets.
Hingis, the defending champion, needed just 46 minutes to beat Raymond 6-1, 6-1.

Hingis said she ``felt a little wonky'' on her return from an ankle injury.

Hingis surrendered the No. 1 ranking in October after 73 consecutive weeks when she tore ligaments in her right ankle in a semifinal against American Lindsay Davenport at the Porsche Grand Prix in Germany.

She saved four break points and said it was a three-month layoff rather than any ankle trouble that gave Raymond the break-point opportunities.

To start with, ``I felt a little nervous and didn't really know what to expect from her,'' Hingis said. ``I think it is a great start to the new season, especially since I hadn't played in so long.

``It's always nice to come back to a place where you have had success in the past -- It gives you a little extra kick, a little bit more confidence. ''

Hingis won the adidas tournament last year and in 1997 and also won the Australian Open three consecutive years from '97-'99, the last being her most recent Grand Slam title.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts