Tennis Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Richard Pagliaro - Martina Hingis is bracing herself for rehab, while hoping to back a rapid recovery from the surgery to repair torn ligaments in her right ankle. The 21-year-old Hingis sustained the injury while lunging for a backhand in the third game of her semifinal against Lindsay Davenport at the Porsche Grand Prix in Filderstadt last Saturday.

Hingis, who underwent the surgery last Sunday in Zurich, will have her ankle brace removed next week when she begins rehab. She is expected to be sidelined for eight weeks, which will be one of the longest breaks of her seven-year career.
The rest may enable Hingis to rebuild her game when she tries to regain the No. 1 ranking now held by Jennifer Capriati, who sent Hingis flowers and a get-well card.

"I want to get healthy again," Hingis said in a statement posted on the Swisscom Challenge Web site. "In the past few months I have played week in and week out. Now I have the chance to regain some strength."

Since the surgery, Hingis has had a few sleepless nights adjusting to her sudden inactivity.

"The nights are especially long," said Hingis. "Because I'm doing so much less during the day, I can't really sleep through the night."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts