Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
115,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hingis doubtful for French Open

Hingis has been struggling with an ongoing back problem

Former world number one Martina Hingis could miss the French Open starting on 27 May because of a back injury.
Hingis lost 6-4 6-0 in the German Open third round to fellow Swiss Patty Schnyder and is already considering missing next week's Italian Open.
"I don't know if it's going to get better that quickly. I'll see how far I get in the next two weeks," she said.
"It's not a lot of time so every day has to be a good day. We'll see. I'm not going to play unless I am 100%."
The French Open is the only Grand Slam Hingis, 26, has never won.
She had already struggled in her second-round win over Ukrainian Kateryna Bondarenko on Wednesday, and said she regretted playing in Berlin, her first tournament after a six-week injury lay-off.
"It was already a miracle that I won the first-round match," she added. "And it didn't get any easier against Patty.
"I had a problem with the hip flexor and now it has gone to the back but I have to be patient."
Defending champion Nadia Petrova reached the last eight by beating fellow Russian Elena Dementieva 6-3 6-3.
Second-seed Amelie Mauresmo, back after a two-month lay-off, was up 6-2 1-1 against Ukrainian Julia Vakulenko when their match was suspended as darkness fell over the Steffi Graf stadium.
The winner of that match will play Dinara Safina, a 3-6 6-3 6-2 winner over Lucie Safarova, in the quarter-finals. Earlier, persistent rain meant world number one and top seed Justine Henin was unable to play her third-round tie against unseeded Maria Elena Camerin. If Henin defeats the Italian she will face Jelena Jankovic, who went tthrough after China's Peng Shuai was forced to retire leading 3-2 in the third set.

·
Registered
115,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Former world number one Martina Hingis could miss the Italian and French Opens later this month because of a back injury.
"I'm not going to go and play tournaments unless I am 100 per cent ready," Hingis told a news conference on Thursday after she was beaten in the German Open third round by fellow Swiss Patty Schnyder.
Asked whether she might skip the Rome tournament , the five-times grand slam winner said: "Definitely that's on my mind because I'm not going to make anybody happy, especially not myself, to go out there and I don't know if it's going to get better that quickly."
"I'll see how far I can get in the next two weeks. It's not a lot of time so every day has to be a good day and we'll see (if I can play in the French Open)."

·
Registered
19,960 Posts
i knew her injury was going to be a problem but ralax marti, pull out of your next events to heal yourself :hug:

·
Registered
39,697 Posts
I hope she will at least try to defend Rome (ranking...). But still, she has to be healthy, that is the most important thing... RG would actually be the Slam with the most chances for her so I hope she can recover. :)

·
Premium Member
13,968 Posts
Aah, this is so depressing. I was looking forward to her having (at least) a great run at the FO and now it seems that she won't even be able to defend her chances.:sad:

·
Registered
115,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RG is the tournament she really wants, and I hope her back heals quickly so she can play in Paris.

·
Registered
52,365 Posts
Hope Hingis will be fine by RG.

It would suck to miss a slam.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
I would like for her to miss Roland Garros unless 100% healthy. There are so many very bad injuries now and I don't want her to risk further injury by playing before having fully healed.

·
Registered
23,560 Posts
just take care and your health is the most important thing Hingis

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
This totally sucks!!!

Martina is finally going to be smart about this and not play if she isn't 100%, wise choice. She's only 26. There are more clay seasons in the future, just take care of it, PLEASE!

I know her ranking will slide, but who cares? Better that she is 100% fit and committed in the 2nd half of the season....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
:mad:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Wow, that sucks. Hope she gets better by the french.

·
Registered
923 Posts
If its a few weeks, its a few weeks. If its a month, its a month.

Martina take your time and get right!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts