Tennis Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By JIM ARMSTRONG
Associated Press Writer

TOKYO (AP) -- Top-seeded Martina Hingis defeated Marlene Weingartner in straight sets to advance to the quarterfinals of the Toray Pan Pacific tennis tournament on Wednesday.

Hingis, looking to win the tournament for the fourth time in six years, won the first three games at Tokyo's Metropolitan Gymnasium, then coasted to a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Weingartner, ranked 48th in the world.

Hingis, who lost to Jennifer Capriati in the Australian Open final on Saturday and had a bye in Tuesday's first round, decided to pull out of the doubles competition of this event after saying she was tired. But she said she was well-rested Wednesday.

Hingis, runner-up to Lindsay Davenport in last year's Pan Pacific tournament, will play the winner of Thursday's match between Tamarine Tanasugarn and sixth-seeded Magdalena Maleeva.

Weingartner, who defeated Rika Fujiwara in Tuesday's opening round, broke Hingis' serve in the fourth game of the second set to make it 3-1, but was no match the former world No. 1, who overpowered her opponent with solid groundstrokes and well-placed lobs.

With defending champion Davenport and Serena Williams having already pulled out of the event with injuries, Hingis is the clear favorite.

``The expectations are all for me to win, and I feel pretty good about my chances,'' Hingis said.

In earlier matches Wednesday, Alexandra Stevenson defeated Katrina Srebotnik 6-1, 6-4 in a match that took just 1 hour and 8 minutes; Elena Dementieva, the tournament's seventh seed, breezed past Saori Obata 6-3, 6-3; Ai Sugiyama lost to Belgium's Els Callens 1-6, 6-2, 6-4; Silvia Farina Elia defeated Tatiana Panova 6-4, 7-5; and France's Sandrine Testud beat Barbara Schett 4-6, 7-5, 7-5.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts