Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't you love how everytime after someone manages to defeat the Williams Sisters we hear how they are about to dominate the tennis world? :lol: How many times have we heard this? No one has been able to consistenly defeat the Williams Sisters for a while now. While all credit should be given to Sharapova, Sprem, and a few others who have notched wins against the Sisters as of late, no one has done it consistently. Seems to me the most worrisome opponent for either sister seems to be injury.

·
Registered
151 Posts
VW#1 said:
No one has been able to consistenly defeat the Williams Sisters for a while now.
Well no one person is doing it consistently but they are being beaten a lot more consistently by different people.

VW#1 said:
Seems to me the most worrisome opponent for either sister seems to be injury.
I don't think you can claim every loss this year for Venus and Serena is down to injuries. The other players are obviously worrisome because they are getting beaten when they are not injured. Or I am wrong?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Geri said:
Well no one person is doing it consistently but they are being beaten a lot more consistently by different people.

I don't think you can claim every loss this year for Venus and Serena is down to injuries. The other players are obviously worrisome because they are getting beaten when they are not injured. Or I am wrong?

People seem to forget that even once you become fully healed from an injury, it still takes time to find form, and that is still directly tied to being injured. You don't get back from an injury and then suddenly everything is as it was, it takes time. The game is changing, but injury is by far the biggest reason why Venus and Serena have "struggled" this year. I guess you really have made it when being ranked 7th and 8th for the year is being over.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
No, what I love even more is how WS haters want us fans to doubt the sisters and want the sisters to be humbled by their losses. They want to see a defeated attitude, but it's just not going to happen. They want us to be like them and want the sisters to have attitudes like the other girls on tour, but it's not going to happen anytime soon so I suggest the haters don't hold out hope.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool Canuck said:
Yeah, we're all waiting Raymond to dominate the world.

:tape: :rolleyes:

you ignoring the entire point of my post and picking one small thing speaks volumes to just how right I am, though I have to admit that was pretty funny :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
VW#1 said:
People seem to forget that even once you become fully healed from an injury, it still takes time to find form, and that is still directly tied to being injured. You don't get back from an injury and then suddenly everything is as it was, it takes time. The game is changing, but injury is by far the biggest reason why Venus and Serena have "struggled" this year. I guess you really have made it when being ranked 7th and 8th for the year is being over.
I never said they were over. I just said that you can't say only injuries are worrying Venus and Serena when the other players are beating them when they are fit.

·
Banned
5,063 Posts
VW#1 said:
you ignoring the entire point of my post and picking one small thing speaks volumes to just how right I am, though I have to admit that was pretty funny :)
Well you said "Don't you love how everytime after someone manages to defeat the Williams Sisters we hear how they are about to dominate the tennis world?"

And I just pointed out that it was a silly comment with my Raymond example.

Besides, no one is consistantly beating the Williams sisters... Simply because no player meets often the Williams sisters, that's all. So your observation is pointless. If they would be healthy and both play a full schedule and meet often the same players, then it would make sense, but it doesn't at the moment.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool Canuck said:
Well you said "Don't you love how everytime after someone manages to defeat the Williams Sisters we hear how they are about to dominate the tennis world?"

And I just pointed out that it was a silly comment with my Raymond example.

Besides, no one is consistantly beating the Williams sisters... Simply because no player meets often the Williams sisters, that's all. So your observation is pointless. If they would be healthy and both play a full schedule and meet often the same players, then it would make sense, but it doesn't at the moment.

I said that no one had consistently beaten the sisters for A WHILE now. Meaning longer than just this year. My point is very true, no one over the past few years has been able to do it, and many players have been hyped of about to turn the tide on the Williams Sisters. The Belgians have come the closest, but they have yet to do it. Just this year it's been about injuries, but not as long as we've been hearinggabout all these players who are about to topple the Williams Sisters. And obviously my comment was an exaggeration to make a point, I see it was wasted on you

·
Registered
23,829 Posts
VW#1 said:
if this is true, then why would you claim that the williams sisters are still dominating the tour. you can't have it both ways.
for some reason we're always looking for someone who is "dominating" and right now, it certainly isn't either williams, and it's not the belgians.

if you know they are not at their best, simply don't pick them to win every match. don't wait until they lose and claim a lack of conditioning after you picked them to hand a "beatdown" to their opponent.

how about these "double standards" for ya. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
5,063 Posts
VW#1 said:
I said that no one had consistently beaten the sisters for A WHILE now. Meaning longer than just this year. My point is very true, no one over the past few years has been able to do it, and many players have been hyped of about to turn the tide on the Williams Sisters. The Belgians have come the closest, but they have yet to do it. Just this year it's been about injuries, but not as long as we've been hearinggabout all these players who are about to topple the Williams Sisters. And obviously my comment was an exaggeration to make a point, I see it was wasted on you
Better to make your points with facts, because exaggerations are synonym of "wrong facts".

No one has consistently beaten the sisters for a while now... Simply because they don't play much, this isn't rocket science.

·
Registered
23,829 Posts
Cool Canuck said:
Better to make your points with facts, because exaggerations are synonym of "wrong facts".

No one has consistently beaten the sisters for a while now... Simply because they don't play much, this isn't rocket science.
true. they are not being consistently beaten by any one person, they are just ebing consistently beaten...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
faboozadoo15 said:
if this is true, then why would you claim that the williams sisters are still dominating the tour. you can't have it both ways.
for some reason we're always looking for someone who is "dominating" and right now, it certainly isn't either williams, and it's not the belgians.

if you know they are not at their best, simply don't pick them to win every match. don't wait until they lose and claim a lack of conditioning after you picked them to hand a "beatdown" to their opponent.

how about these "double standards" for ya. :rolleyes:
Your comments are very true, I know I am guilty of this having picked Venus to win Wimbledon and was sure that if she couldn't then Serena certainly would. I know personally I feel all this talk is premature. What ended the Sisters domination of the game was injury. So I think a lot of Williams fans, rightfully or not, feel robbed because everybody's hyping all these new players as if they are the reason the domination is over. Now by the end of this season if they are still being beaten then saying it's cause they're injured would be ridiculous. But let's all be real if anybody believes that anyone, could beat Serena 6-1, 6-4, without a lot of that being about Serena is crazy. Sharapova might have won anyway, but Serena surely helped her a lot in that match. The Williams Sisters aren't unbeatable I never said they were, but we need to be relaistic about their injuries and exactly why the game has changed, not because of any player, but injury

·
Registered
47,478 Posts
No what I love the most is that whenever one of them losses, that that becomes the best thing that could happen to tennis.

Maria´s win?! Best thing that could happen.
Karolina´s win?! Wow!!

Maria beats Lindsay?! What a shame...now Lindsay´s gonna retire with just three majors...that´s the fun part.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
bandabou said:
No what I love the most is that whenever one of them losses, that that becomes the best thing that could happen to tennis.

Maria´s win?! Best thing that could happen.
Karolina´s win?! Wow!!

Maria beats Lindsay?! What a shame...now Lindsay´s gonna retire with just three majors...that´s the fun part.
...you're right...beating a Williams sister isn't that much of an achievement...especially when they're washed up like at the moment... :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool Canuck said:

Again you're wrong. No one has consistently beaten the Williams Sisters for a while simply because they've been losing to them. We can go back to the beginning of 2001 until the present. That's a WHILE back, and these records include the Sisters domination and all the times people were about to topple the sisters.

Venus vs Kim - Venus leads 5-2 (one of those wins for kim was a retirement)

Venus vs Lindsay - venus leads 6-0

Venus vs Henin - venus lead 7-1

Venus vs Mauresmo- Venus leads 5-1 (the one win is a retirement)

Venus vs Myskina - Venus leads 2-1

Venus vs Sharapova - Venus leads 1-0 (exhibition or not it counts cause if Sharapova had won this match it would have sent waves through this board)

Venus vs Sprem - tied at 1-1

Serena vs Kim- Serena leads 5-1

Serena vs Lindsay- Serena leads 4-0

Serena vs Henin - Serena leads 5-3 (henin won two of the last 3)

Serena vs Mauresmo- Serena leads 5-1

And those are facts of their head to head since 2001 again supporting my claim that the only reason for the fallout is due to INJURY. And even if you say they haven't played these people this year that only further makes my claim correct until they can prove they can beat them they can't, cause history shows they can't.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
To ANYONE who can think rationally....

NO ONE is dominating the tour presently.

Serena won the US Open in 1999, but certianly did not dominate. Martina and Lindsay were the main players then.

Venus dominated on 2000 / 2001 4 Slams, Olympics, and many tourney wins.
Serena dominated in 2002 (3 Slams. did not play the first Slam.)
Justine dominated in 2003 (2 Slams and numerous other tourney victories....With Serena a close second. (2 Slams)... Kim a close third.
*** absences of sisters Williams on tour-- (Last six months)

2004 so far is up for grabs.... lets just wait and see how this season progresses.

This season will continue to be interesting...wish that ALL the top players could be healthy and play.

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,698 Posts
faboozadoo15 said:
true. they are not being consistently beaten by any one person, they are just ebing consistently beaten...
Venus' winning percentage this year is .844 (27-5) and Serena's is .846 (22-4); since when is that "being consistently beaten?"

1 - 20 of 36 Posts