Tennis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TENNIS

American tennis player Brian Vahaly has struck back at Australian media reports that he is “little known”.

Speaking out after being beaten in the first round of the French Open by world number one Lleyton Hewitt, Vahaly said he was, in fact, very popular in his hometown of Frostbite Falls and could also boast a fan website in his honour, hinting at international recognition.

“Every single Australian media report, in the papers, on radio and television, described me as ‘little known American Brian Vahaly’," Vahaly said. "I mean, come on! It sounded as though my mum would struggle to remember my name. I’m on the frigging international tennis circuit. Doesn’t that count for something?”

The 23-year-old was born in New Jersey and resides in Frostbite Falls, Georgia, where he said he has a wealth of friends and acquaintances. “I can hardly walk down the street without somebody pulling me up to say hello. Sometimes, behind me, I hear people say: ‘Hey, there goes the internationally famous tennis star, Brian Vahaly’ … or words to that effect anyway. I’m immensely popular and extremely famous.”

Currently sitting 50th in the ATP Champions Race rankings, after finishing 2002 in 146th position, Vahaly said he was confident of winning Wimbledon this year. “Let’s see how many of those Australian media pricks call me ‘little known’ then,” he told The Bladder.

Vahaly said he had been especially excited to find out that there was an entire corner of the internet devoted to him. “Just think of the vastness of the web, the myriad of topics covered online, yet somebody has cared enough, has been impressed enough by me to create an entire fansite,” he said. “I think it’s both touching and telling about my popularity in the game.”

Vahaly said as soon as he landed a sponsor for shoes, clothes or racquets, he hoped to help the devoted fans behind the fansite flesh out the body of the site.

www.thebladder.com

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Good on him, that's funny.

Now we just have to convince the US media to stop referring to Hewitt as "caretaker" or "controversial" #1 as if he's never beaten Agassi, Sampras or (heaven forbid) Roddick! They are silly these journalist, aren't they? LOL.

·
Premium Member
181,840 Posts
what did he expect the Aussie media to say ??? :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts