Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JASON Stoltenberg has resigned as Lleyton Hewitt's coach on the eve of the world No.1's defence of the Wimbledon crown.

Stoltenberg formally quit on Thursday after pondering his future, believing it was "time to move on". He has been replaced by Hewitt's assistant coach Roger Rasheed.

South Australian Rasheed, 34, is a former touring professional with a career-high singles ranking of 130th.

Stoltenberg has been wrestling with his future recently and has decided he wants to spend more time with his wife and two young children in Melbourne.

"My time with Lleyton was full of great memories, specifically Wimbledon and Shanghai last year," Stoltenberg said.

"Australia should be proud of Lleyton with the effort and time he puts in representing Australia and I will be looking forward to sitting back and seeing his career unfold in the direction we have grown used to.

"For me it's time to move on. I believe Lleyton is poised to defend his Wimbledon title, which I know he holds so dear.

"It's been a pleasure and honour to have worked with Lleyton for the past 18 months.

"Lleyton has become close to myself and also my family and this will always continue. The same applies to his family, who have understood and supported me with this decision."

While surprised by the timing of Stoltenberg's decision, Hewitt, 22, does not believe he will be disadvantaged by the move.

"Jason's been great for my game and I understand the reasons why he has taken this decision," Hewitt said before flying to London, where he will attempt to win a fourth consecutive Stella Artois Championships at Queen's Club.

"It's a lifestyle decision and I respect that. He's been honest about it and with him working closely with Roger since December, I don't see that there will be a problem.

"Jason and Roger have worked together well and they both think about tennis in the same way. I'm grateful for the time I had with Jason, he's a great coach and good mate of my family.

"At the same time, I think Roger will do a great job, too."

Rasheed, forced out of top-line tennis because of a chronic back problem, played league football with Sturt in South Australian National Football League in 1993.

Rasheed, who has known Hewitt for more than 10 years and played against the world No.1 in pennant competition, said he would not make any changes to a game which has already delivered two majors and carried the Adelaide baseliner to peaks of the sport.

"I guess the timing is a little unfortunate," Rasheed said.

"But right at this time we're right in the middle of the season, so it's a matter of business as usual as far as Lleyton is concerned.

"I've worked closely with Jason and with my tennis background -- and having seen Lleyton come up as a junior -- I won't be making any changes to Lleyton's game. The coaching caper is more about managing the athlete and having them in the right frame of mind when they take the court.

"We're not trying to reinvent the wheel, but it's a great opportunity for me and I'm pretty excited about it.

"Hopefully, we can have good results over the grasscourt season and I look forward to working with Lleyton for the rest of the season and beyond."

Hewitt split with Darren Cahill at the end of the 2001 season and began working with Stoltenberg, who guided the right-hander to 61 wins from 76 singles matches and five titles including Wimbledon and the Tennis Masters Cup last year.

Cahill, who now works with world No.2 Andre Agassi, was at the helm when Hewitt captured the 2001 US Open.

Rasheed previously worked with vastly improved Adelaide serve-volleyer Alicia Molik and runs a fitness training business.

(Source: Sydney Daily Telegraph)

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
That's not good to dump your coach before defending your title.

Who was Potato's coach when he won the US Open?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tennis Fool said:
That's not good to dump your coach before defending your title.

Who was Potato's coach when he won the US Open?
Darren Cahill, who now coaches Andre Agassi.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
did Jason get fired or did he quit? :confused:

honestly i like Jason but i never understood him as a choice for Lleyton as a coach. but his record with Hewitt is not bad.

i dunno a thing about Rasheed. what race is he (Indian)?

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
It sounds like Jason resigned. But I don't understand why he would resign right before Wimbledon, the marquee tournament of the year. :confused:

TC, you never understood why Stoltenberg wanted to coach Hewitt? I think it was because he could make a name for himself as a coach. And he did. He helped Hewitt. But obviously Lleyton helped Jason and his coaching resume, too. He coached Hewitt to last years Wimbledon and year end Shanghai victories. Now Stoltenberg has a very good reputation as a coach.

I wonder if Stoltenberg got tired of putting up with Hewitt's father. That could get old fast.

But I am always pessemistic when athletes or coaches in all sports say they are resigning or retiring because they want to spend more time with their family.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
i didn't say that i didn't understand why Jason wanted to coach Hewitt. i never understood what he had to offer as a coach. i guess in my view Hewitt has a great deal of innate talent and i just never felt that Jason really had much to offer as a coach.

by the way, according to the BBC report, it was Jason who quit -- Hewitt didn't fire him. and they have a different spelling of the replacement's name.
But on Sunday, Sydney's Daily Telegraph revealed Stoltenberg had stepped down from his role to spend more time with his wife and two children in Melbourne.

"For me it's time to move on," Stoltenberg told the newspaper. "I believe Lleyton is poised to defend his Wimbledon title, which I know he holds so dear.

"It's been a pleasure and honour to have worked with Lleyton for the past 18 months."

Hewitt will now be coached by Roger Lasheed...

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,027 Posts
Giving an employee opportunity to resign before getting fired is always a nice gesture from an employer. I am pretty sure it was Hewitt's decision, but they probably wanted it look as good as possible.

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
YS, I don't know if S. was fired. From the article posted, it sounded as if it came a bit as a shock to Hewitt.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
why would he fire Jason? bec he lost the AO and RG? and why do it now just before he begins to prepare for his Wimby defence? surely that is disruptive? on the other hand, Jason seems like such a nice guy that i can't imagine him sticking it to Hewitt like this. so you're probably right ys.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
It's Rasheed, not Lasheed. I don't know what race he is, but he's good-looking. :p

Oh dear TC, there are many Lleykis who don't know what Stolts had to offer as a coach. :p I think the general consensus is that Ll needs a coach who can tell him what's up, so to speak, and not be passive or possibly intimidated by Glynn. I'm not sure if Jason really fit that bill. I don't know anything about Rasheed, and it's not clear whether he's going to be permanent or interim (hopefully the latter) but hopefully he can get the job done and the transition will be fairly smooth.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
hey ClijstersHewitt :kiss: good to hear that i am not alone in feeling completely lost as to the choice of Jason as a coach. what exactly did he have to offer Hewitt that Hewitt didn't already have? :confused:

my choice of a replacement coach? Johnny Mac. temperamentally they are perfectly suited. they would yell, scream, cuss, and throw water bottles at each other all day -- and neither would take it seriously or personally. and John is a brilliant strategist.

will he take the job? unfortunately, no. he loves his wife and kids too much to go back to the grueling travel schedule. but it would be nice...;)

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
JohnnyMac couldn't handle that type of responsibility. Just look at how long he lasted as Davis Cup coach.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Johnny established a difficult (nay impossible) mandate for himself as Davis Cup captain: to persuade the Aging Balls (aka Andre, Android & Todd) to return to Davis Cup and give it one last shot. he wanted a year of glory. Andre and Todd heeded the call for less than 6 months if i remember correctly. Android said no fricking way, i have history to attend to. the plan flopped. his brother learned from that and has looked brilliant in comparisn. he decided instead to nuture the Young Balls and get them match-ready. but really Pat only learned from John's narcisstic mistake.

and just bec he messed up with Davis Cup doesn't mean that he would mess up an individual. but i do agree that he would need to get his big fat ego out of the way. it would also conflict with his commentating jobs so i am aware that this is just fantasy.

so who do you suggest? i never even heard of this Rasheed character before Jason got the chop.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
I'm so glad Jason is gone :eek: Yeah it's right before Wimbledon but imo, it doesn't make much of a difference since Jason wasn't doing much, at least not that we could see :eek: Lleyton needs a coach who's not afraid to give him a kick in the ass from time to time and give it to him straight... he needs somebody who's not going to bullshit him or gloss things over... somebody who'll say look Lleyton, your serve sucks... serving more aces isn't going to accomplish anything when your first serve % is 38 :eek: I would assume that Roger is just there as a temporary coach until Lley finds somebody else because from what I thought, Roger was his fitness coach :eek:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts