Tennis Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) -- Kim Clijsters has been a loyal fan of her boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt, watching many of his biggest matches from the stands.

On Wednesday, it was Hewitt's turn.

The world's No. 1 player saw Clijsters' 6-2, 6-3 win over fellow Belgian Justine Henin, setting up a semifinal showdown with top-seeded Jennifer Capriati.

Hewitt wore sunglasses, a baseball hat and had his collar turned up. He was recovering from chicken pox when he played his first round in Melbourne, losing to Alberto Martin of Spain, and he plans to skip Davis Cup next month.

Clijsters, seeded No. 4, cheered Hewitt from the sidelines when he won the U.S. Open and the Masters Cup in Sydney last year.

MIRROR IMAGE

When Jennifer Capriati and Kim Clijsters face each other in the semifinals at the Australian Open, they'll both have the 2001 French Open on their minds.

The two met in the final at Roland Garros, with Capriati outlasting Clijsters 12-10 in the longest third set of a women's final at the French Open.

``After the French Open, we built a very good relationship together, and I was practicing a lot with her,'' said Clijsters, who is seeded No. 4 in Melbourne. She beat Belgian compatriot Justine Henin in the quarterfinals.

``Of course, I would like to play her and try to get revenge, if that's possible,'' Clijsters said.

Capriati, the defending champion at the Australian Open, beat Amelie Mauresmo on Wednesday.

The American said of Clijsters:

``We're sort of like a mirror of each other. That's what I remember from the French. What she gave me, I gave her back, and vice versa.''

RED TAPE

Defending champion Jennifer Capriati says her hip flexor injury is not severe, but she's going to keep wearing tape on her thigh to prevent chafing.

``Maybe I don't even need the tape right now, but I'm not going to take a chance,'' Capriati said. ``The skin rubbing is hurting more than the actual injury.''

The American had no trouble moving around the court during her quarterfinal win Wednesday over Amelie Mauresmo of France, seeded No. 7.

Capriati said she was at about ''95 percent'' of her physical best.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
I really don't think it is fair to say that "now it's his turn". Lleyton has watched many many many matches of Kim's from thr stands, and they make it sound rare.

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Yes, they always watch each others matches whenever they can.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
I agree. Lleyton even stayed in Paris to support Kim in her final run at the French Open last year, when he could have gone to England to start his grass court practice. I think they support each other.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
It's great that Lleyton is supporting his Kangoroo whenever he can!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts