Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok since there's been so much bitching and moaning about who's the "real" number 2,3,4 etc, I've devised a perfect ranking system. Here is how it works.

Every player is given a series of points out of 100, percentages if you will.

The first percentage is based on how much I like them. For example, Monica Seles would earn 100 points, whereas Serena williams would earn 0.

Second percentage is how pretty they are. In this case, someone like Kournikova would earn 98 points, whereas Serena Williams would earn 0.

The third percentage is how often they play in places televised on my local channels at home. So in this case Monica Seles who won the DuMaurier four times in a row would earn 98 points, whereas Serena Williams who pulled out pretty much every year, although winning once would only earn 25 points.

The fourth and final percentage is how often they beat the players that I don't like, or, vice versa, how often they beat players that I DO like. So in this case, when Justine Henin beat Serena Williams she earned 100 points. But when she beat Kim Clijsters, she lost 70 of them.

The points are then each given 25% and the total number of points is added up to be a number out of 100.

So, without further ado, here are the top 10. I've only included players from the WTA top 100 because I don't feel like ranking everyone else. I'm sure you'll agree that these surely are the "real rankings."

1. Monica Seles - 100
2. Kim Clijsters - 95
3. Vera Zvonareva - 90
4. Jelena Dokic - 80
5. Daniela Hantuchova - 65
6. Amelie Mauresmo - 55
7. Justine Henin - 50
8. Jennifer Capriati - 40
9. Anna Kournikova - 25
10. Lindsay Davenport- 15

For interest's sake:
(UR)Serena Williams - 6.25
(UR)Venus Williams - 1

·
Registered
14,809 Posts
it's actually a pretty cool ranking system ;)

·
Banned
3,072 Posts
LOL

Out of intrest, where's Lindsay in your ranking system......hope she has some points and is above the Williams sisters :eek:

:wavey: Rachel

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
Um...(I cannot believe I am responding to this)

If I understand correctly, Serena should get 25% of 25 points (Du Maurier Open), so I'm not sure how she managed to get 0.

Other than it sounds a completely just system and I recommend the WTA take it up immediately. Women (especially professional sportswomen) should always be judged on how they pretty they are rather than their actual abilities.

And think of the rush there'll be to play in events televised near you!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JonBcn, you are absolutely right. I can't believe I overlooked that. Rankings have been adjusted. And yes, the points for playing near me are intended for just that purpose :).

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't see anything funny about it. This is a very serious and scientific ranking system. ;)

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
splat said:
I don't see anything funny about it. This is a very serious and scientific ranking system. ;)
Lovely... you should have it patented before some Williams fan suggests that Serena gets extra points when she loses (since she does so seldom) or when the crowd go against her...
Can Jen have some more points for the great fights she sets up with Serena? ;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sorry andy, according to this system, a player can only win points when she actually BEATS a player I don't like. Though, I will take this into consideration for a possible adjustment in the future.

·
Registered
14,809 Posts
actually i dont see why serena gets 6.25 points at all...

Shouldnt she get negative points for beating players you do like in the 4th category?

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
lol

lol, ok i can take mockery since its all for fun, i actually like this system.

Reactions: splat

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
This is a final never changing ranking? Do they lose points if they have a spot or something?
I take it it isn't a way to work out quality points as with Serena at zilch and Anna at infinity plus Serena would be even further ahead in the rankings......

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
NIIIICE!!! :worship:
although if one of the categories WAS to be players in tournaments that are televised on local TV...well...lets just say if it wasnt a GS or DC...then it would be non-existant....

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fammmedspin, I can forgive the occasional blemish I suppose, since we all get them. Well, except for me of course ;).

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Well, if I got the point of your ranking, Spat, it is designed specifically for Serena to sink lower and lower, so Fammmedspin's objection can be discarded because it goes against its very principles... ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts