Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Eurosport

Fitzgerald defends Hewitt

Australian Davis Cup captain John Fitzgerald leapt to the defence of Lleyton Hewitt on Thursday after the Wimbledon champion was involved in a heated exchange with an umpire.

Hewitt beat France's Arnaud Clement 6-7 6-4 7-6 to reach the third round of the Hamburg Masters on Wednesday after telling an umpire to return to the minor tour.

"You go back to the satellites, mate. You go back to the satellites and learn the rules where you belong," the 22-year-old told the umpire. :eek:

"I think he's just getting his competitive juices flowing for the French Open, just trying to get up," Fitzgerald told reporters.

The Hewitt footage was replayed on Australia television on Thursday alongside this week's clash between cricketer Glenn McGrath and West Indies batsman Ramnaresh Sarwan during the fourth test in Antigua.

The much taller McGrath angrily pointed his finger at the batsman and swore several times. Australia's top cricket official James Sutherland said on Tuesday it was an "ugly incident" which reflected poorly on the sports-loving nation and cricket's image worldwide.

Fitzgerald, however, was backing Hewitt's tough stance.

"He's just competing and, you know what, you have to be yourself, you have to compete," said Fitzgerald, who will be relying heavily on Hewitt in September's Davis Cup semi-final against Switzerland.

"He admits he walks over the white line. There's a little bit of fever there but that's what makes him such a great player."

Hewitt has never been far from controversy. He once described spectators in his home town of Adelaide as "stupid" after they cheered an opponent in 2000, and he was fined at the 2001 French Open for calling the chair umpire a "spastic".

He was also at the centre of a race row at the 2001 U.S. Open over a comment he made to a court official during a match against American James Blake.

Reuters - 15/05/2003

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
Well...haven't we heard and seen a lot worse? Defaulting players is very rare...to default for THAT when so many other incidents have gone overlooked would have been foolish.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Well, it's Hewitt, people always exaggerate these things, if Marat would do this, it's his sense of humour! :eek:

·
Registered
88 Posts
LOL Dina:D i totaly agree with u!;)

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Elke said:
Well, it's Hewitt, people always exaggerate these things, if Marat would do this, it's his sense of humour! :eek:
No, it's not really. Marat just has a very large fan base here, so if he acts like a rat bastard he has 192832190 people defending him. Just like you and other Hewitt fans either do, or used to, defend Hewitt. It's exactly the same thing. Marat fans just happen to leave "their" thread more than one at a time.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
It's the first time I defend LLeyton, all the other times I didn't bother, bec most of the time, he was acting like a prick. But this time it's really blown up, imo. Hey but I'm 'just' a Hewitt fan! :p:eek:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Marat may be a difficult man himself, but he has more respect for people then Lleyton does.
Marat only curses himself when he plays and rarely causes a stirr with the umpire. At least not in a Hewitt like manner.

We Marat fans are more objective then you think ;)

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Elke said:
It's the first time I defend LLeyton, all the other times I didn't bother, bec most of the time, he was acting like a prick. But this time it's really blown up, imo. Hey but I'm 'just' a Hewitt fan! :p:eek:
Well, I think that he was acting like a spoiled rat bastard :p You can't really blow up one quote; he either said it or he didn't. It's not as if we're debating his gestures or faces here. But like I said, wtf cares. People who can't stand him get to mock him out for it, and people who like him can say "oooh look at that fire!", so everybody wins.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I doubt he should be banned for doing this but don't approve his comments either.

The incident could have been very amusing. I can imagine Hewitt squeaking this with blood rushing to his face :eek:

So relax, mates

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Rebecca said:
Well, I think that he was acting like a spoiled rat bastard :p You can't really blow up one quote; he either said it or he didn't. It's not as if we're debating his gestures or faces here. But like I said, wtf cares. People who can't stand him get to mock him out for it, and people who like him can say "oooh look at that fire!", so everybody wins.

or omg look at that cute face...

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Rebecca said:
The God fearing people of this board might want to cover their eyes:

"ROOOOOOOAAAARRRRRRRR!!!!!"

I must quote you ,just to able to post that pic ones more!I just want to gag him with my socks!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts