Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you prefer Williams Finals be stopped by players?

Or Would you prefer that the Williams Final be stopped by the draw?

Pesonally I would prefer number 1. Seeing that since 2001 Wimbledon, no-one (Jennifer Cappy) has not stopped the williams sisters from metting in the finals when they are both in the draw. It has been 5 straight times the sisters have met in the finals when both are entered in the tourament. It would make much more sense to see Venus or Serena stopped by a player than a draw. If the draw stops it, that doesn't tell you there will be no more williams vs williams, for they most likely will both playeachother in the semis and 1 will go on to win the tournie. And then when the next slam comes, and they are on opposite sides. There would be no talk of a player out there able to stop them, when the last 1 to do it was a williams. get it?

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
If you want to stop an All-Williams Final, the best way is for someone to actually beat them.

I think it's cheap just wishing for them to be on the same side just to stop it. I mean, is that really proving anything?? It's just proving that you can get unlucky.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
::yawn:: If a player plays well enough to get to #2, she deserves to get the #2 seed. Venus needs to enter more tournaments - and then win.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
VeNuS FoReVeR said:
If you want to stop an All-Williams Final, the best way is for someone to actually beat them.

I think it's cheap just wishing for them to be on the same side just to stop it. I mean, is that really proving anything?? It's just proving that you can get unlucky.
I agree I prefer the #1 option. :)

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
well it all depends. obviously it'll be better for an actual player to stop an all Williams final, but if you 100% dont want an all Williams final, then you gotta go for the draw to do that because the draw never fails, but players do fail

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
But don't you see that another player would be responsible for the two sisters to wind up on the same side of the draw? By performing well enough to take the number 2 position, Clijsters has made it possible. So shouldn't the question be: "Would you prefer Serena and Venus to be on the opposite sides of the draw because of their performance or would you prefer to let the luck of the draw decide?"

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
starr said:
But don't you see that another player would be responsible for the two sisters to wind up on the same side of the draw? By performing well enough to take the number 2 position, Clijsters has made it possible. So shouldn't the question be: "Would you prefer Serena and Venus to be on the opposite sides of the draw because of their performance or would you prefer to let the luck of the draw decide?"
but that is where you have to realize your statement is wrong and right.

The only way it can be right is, if the draw comes out and has placed serena and venus on the same side.

Then your theory is all out wrong, if you have venus and serena on opposite sides (therefore kim on venus' half) and venus meets her in the semis and beats her (say straightsets), that there just tells you that she really performed to become the "points number 2 player in the world" but in fact she is number 3 seeing she has just lost, and last lost to say Venus :)

That did make sense, but you have to look at i both ways. And with that said, its not that good of a theory, that is exactly why I had my post made that way and not the way you are looking at it:)

Yes Kim did earn enough points to pass Venus, performance wise b/c Venus hasn't played enough she has gotten to number 2. But ability wise, kim clijsters is still a strong number 3, and in my opinion not even a week number 2 player.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I would like to see player beat the Williams sisters to get to a final, but if they are drawn against eatc other who knows. They might not even meet (unless they are drawn in round three but that wont happen)

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
jenglisbe said:
::yawn:: If a player plays well enough to get to #2, she deserves to get the #2 seed. Venus needs to enter more tournaments - and then win.
Answer the question...stop side tracking already?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
SerenaSlam said:
but that is where you have to realize your statement is wrong and right.

The only way it can be right is, if the draw comes out and has placed serena and venus on the same side.

Then your theory is all out wrong, if you have venus and serena on opposite sides (therefore kim on venus' half) and venus meets her in the semis and beats her (say straightsets), that there just tells you that she really performed to become the "points number 2 player in the world" but in fact she is number 3 seeing she has just lost, and last lost to say Venus :)

That did make sense, but you have to look at i both ways. And with that said, its not that good of a theory, that is exactly why I had my post made that way and not the way you are looking at it:)

Yes Kim did earn enough points to pass Venus, performance wise b/c Venus hasn't played enough she has gotten to number 2. But ability wise, kim clijsters is still a strong number 3, and in my opinion not even a week number 2 player.
Kim (not taking anything away from her) is more of a strong number four and weak number three....she still has to rise head and tail above the current number three, four and five players in the world.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts