Tennis Forum banner

Whom are you happy to see in the MD of the SW19?

• Madison Inglis

Votes: 23 10.8%
  • Maja Chwalinska

Votes: 99 46.5%
  • Zoe Hives

Votes: 17 8.0%
  • Mai Hontama

Votes: 16 7.5%
  • Mirjam Bjorklund

Votes: 26 12.2%
  • Fernanda Contreraz Gomez

Votes: 43 20.2%
  • Astra Sharma

• Jamie Fourlis

Votes: 17 8.0%
  • Jana Fett

Votes: 27 12.7%
  • Emina Bektas

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Yanina Wickmayer

Votes: 73 34.3%
  • Christina Mchale

Votes: 27 12.7%
  • Catherine Harrison

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Louisa Chirico

Votes: 31 14.6%
  • Katarzyna Kawa

• Nastasja Schunk

Votes: 29 13.6%
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
8,550 Posts
Glad to see Chwalinska qualify - she has some incredible hands, and IIRC she took a break to recover from depression.

Also glad to see Wickmayer back in the main draw of a big tournament! IIRC she had a baby?

And Schunk! Last year's junior champion, yes? [edit: Last year's junior runner up!]

Meanwhile, I've never heard of Zoe Hives. Just looked her up and she is 25 years old, is ranked in the 500s, didn't play at all in 2020 or 2021, was a wildcard into qualifying at the Australian Open, and is here on a protected ranking to get her into qualifying. Helluva story somewhere in there....

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
for me

happiest

jamie fourlis
: bec she is so talented and qualified without playing a prep tournament.

fernanda contreraz gomez: mexican queen backed her rg qualification and proved her all court game. i have always a soft spot for consistent and hard working players + her positivity and being from a latin american country are bonus.

emina bektas: have a soft spot for consistent late bloomers too.

catherine harrison: literally the best feel good story of the wimby qualifiers. took the spot in the last second thanx to withdrawals and made it without having any expectations. her liberal views are bonus.

two thumbs up

nastasia schunk:
mostly overlooked among german next gens due to her chunkier built. nastya displays huge character and fighting spirit on the tour.

maja chwalinska: this little squirrel chopped the villain of the qualifiers and showed wars are won on the field with spirit.

madison inglis: i like maddie's grind in general and the way she pushes her limits

kasha kawa: have a soft spot for grass experts too. kawa is a huge fade on other surfaces but she is a very skillful grass expert thanx to her brilliant chip and charge games.

happy

mai hontama
:. mai has been missing in action since the end of the us swing of 2021. glad she is back.
mirjam bjorklund: backed her rg quals.
yanina wickmayer: familiar names always welcomed
astra sharma: normally i like astra but she played so many bad grass matches this year and qualified thanx to aussie presence on the field. so getting a meh from me
louisa chirico: lowkey louisa becoming relevant again on the tour

indifferent

mchale
: xtina tired me so much in the past so feeling indifferent is better.
zoe hives: would anyone tell the story of zoey here? no idea how she made it.
jana fett: same as xtina.

·
Registered
46,002 Posts
I am so glad Wicky leaked all over this but I am somewhat disappointed that Wimbledon leaked their points and she won’t get any! It would’ve helped that ranking so much and she can clearly still play top 150 tennis!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
Schunk. Rest of the pack is pretty average or just washed up. Generally quality of slam qualifications this year is pretty low, 2-3 years ago qualies field was much stronger than right now.

·
Registered
675 Posts
for me

most happy

jamie fourlis: bec she is so talented and qualified without playing prep tournament.

fernanda contreraz gomez: mexican queen backed her rg qualification and proved her all court game. i have always a soft spot for consistent and hard working players + her positivity and being from a latin american country are bonus.

emina bektas: have a soft spot for consistent late bloomers too.

catherine harrison: literally the best feel good story of the wimby qualifiers. took the spot in the last second thanx to withdrawals and made it without having any expectations. her liberal views are bonus.

two thumbs up

nastasia schunk: mostly overlooked among german next gens due to her chunkier built. nastya displayed huge character and fighting spirit on the tour.

maja chwalinska: this little squirrel chopped the villain of the qualifiers and showed wars are won on the field with spirit.

madison inglis:

kasha kawa: have a soft spot for grass experts too. kawa is a huge fade on other surfaces but she is a very skillfil grass expert thanx to her brilliant chip and charge games.

happy

mai hontama:. mai was missing in action after the us swing of 2020. glad she is back.
mirjam bjorklund: backed her rg quals.
yanina wickmayer: familiar names always welcomed
astra sharma: normally i like astra but she played so many bad grass matches this year and qualified thanx to aussie presence on the field. so getting a meh from me
louisa chirico: lowkey louisa becoming relevant again on the tour

indifferent

mchale: xtina tired me so much in the past so feeling indifferent is better.
zoe hives: anyone tell the story of zoey this story. no idea how she made it.
jana fett: same as xtina.
For me? Well, who else world your comments be for? Duh,

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Definitely Schunk, Bjorklund, Inglis, Wickmayer and Chwalinska

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Maja! She’s literally the only player whose matches I watch.
I haven’t seen more than a dozen WTA/Slam matches over the past 4 years.
I still follow tournament results out of habit, and I still consider myself a huge fan of women’s tennis… just not these women in particular.

·
Registered
Team Vika
46,568 Posts
What a boring list. I hope it isn't an omen for the main draw. I guess I'm most happy for CHIRICO ?

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Not gonna lie.....Croatian bombshell hottie, Jana Fett.:love:.....for reasons that should not be difficult to discern. Whaddya gonna do....it's a guy thing.

Wickmayer a close second,.... was an excellent, dangerous player....coming back after giving birth a good story. Ranked something like #800 right now?

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
strong aussie+us dominance shows the feeling of home played a role in the qualies.

not seeing any chinese or serbian players' names is also interesting! politcal vibes!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts