Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a hate thread, but I have a question regarding Justine Henin's backhand. Almost in all articles about her, I've read that she has the BEST BACKHAND in Women's Tennis. I just don't see it. As a matter of fact, every time she hits a backhand, it looks as if she's about the break her back. Does anyone else see the same thing? I may be biased because I have a double-handed backhand, and find it a lot more beautiful of a shot than a single-handed backhand.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
single handed>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Double handed ( except alicia moliks :tape: :eek: hope she makes it better! ) Anyways I have a jerky motion for my BH too..I love the way justine hits herBH..Sucha fluid shot :yeah: Esp the shortangled BH CC and DTL ripper both :drool:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
This is not a hate thread, but I have a question regarding Justine Henin's backhand. Almost in all articles about her, I've read that she has the BEST BACKHAND in Women's Tennis. I just don't see it. As a matter of fact, every time she hits a backhand, it looks as if she's about the break her back. Does anyone else see the same thing? I may be biased because I have a double-handed backhand, and find it a lot more beautiful of a shot than a single-handed backhand.
It's not all about how the shot looks. Fair enough, Henin's backhand might not be as graceful as Mauresmo's for example, but in terms of power, angle and variety it is one of the best, if not the best.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Best one handed backhand but others have better 2 handers!

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
Journalists tend to see tennis strokes, and exagerate their effectiveness because they think it looks "cool" to them. The best example of this is Federer's backhand. Yes, it's a good stroke, but on clay, with high bounce, it gets rendered damn near impotent (see: French Open 06 Final). There are simply people who have better backhands (Gaudio, Gasquet, Haas) who don't have the speed, movement, or court sense to make use it as much as Federer does.

I think of Justine in the same way. There aren't many 1hbhs to compare in the women's game, but if Justine didn't have the speed, movement, etc., her backhand wouldn't look as good as it does. She'd simply be out of position too many times.

And personally, I like two handed backhands more. They seem more stable. Serena, Masha, Safin, all have amazing backhands.

·
Banned
10,668 Posts
Yeah, I think the form of her backhand is ridiculously ugly. People like Almagro, Youzhny, Mauresmo, they have beautiful one-handed backhands. But Henin's...well, all that matters is that it's effective, right?

·
Registered
829 Posts
It looks like its all arm to me.
When the Macs say Henin has the best backhand in man and woman's game, I don't think he was kidding.

Henin has the ability to take the backhand on high-bouncing shots that is above the shoulder, this is something what most tennis players cannot do, even Federer has difficulty with that shot. Mind you that with two handed backhand, the reach and height is limited, and with one handed backhand, the timing is really important. And her ability to basically flick the wrist and come up with amazing angle on the shot has made her extra special.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
lol...some people in this thread are showing us how little they know about tennis.

·
Registered
25,074 Posts
Right now, I think JH may have the best backhand in tennis - men or women. (Praying that Serena stays away from it).

·
Banned
10,668 Posts
lol...some people in this thread are showing us how little they know about tennis.
And what's the matter with that? Because most people don't know about music theory doesn't mean they can't have valid opinions on music. It might come off ignorant, but if I think Henin's backhand looks nasty, then it looks nasty. I think most people at least acknowledge it's a powerful and effective shot, which is all that matters.

·
10,576 Posts
When the Macs say Henin has the best backhand in man and woman's game, I don't think he was kidding.

Henin has the ability to take the backhand on high-bouncing shots that is above the shoulder, this is something what most tennis players cannot do, even Federer has difficulty with that shot. Mind you that with two handed backhand, the reach and height is limited, and with one handed backhand, the timing is really important. And her ability to basically flick the wrist and come up with amazing angle on the shot has made her extra special.
Okay.I thought that you were supposed to use your body and not your wrist and forearm.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
This is not a hate thread, but I have a question regarding Justine Henin's backhand.Almost in all articles about her, I've read that she has the BEST BACKHAND in Women's Tennis. I just don't see it. As a matter of fact, every time she hits a backhand, it looks as if she's about the break her back. Does anyone else see the same thing? I may be biased because I have a double-handed backhand, and find it a lot more beautiful of a shot than a single-handed backhand.
:tape: Yes, it's an ugly backhand. All the articles you have read; all the glowing things you have heard about Justine's backhand from writers, former (and current) tennis professionals and commentators are pure bullshit. Where do these people come up with this stuff?:tape:

:wavey:

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
It looks like its all arm to me.
:tape: If the shot was "all arm", for someone as tiny as Justine, the ball wouldn't even reach the service line. Read some books, take some lessons, go to a local tennis club. It's fun to learn about tennis.

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
Henin's backhand IS the finest offensive weapon in the women's game.

Looks like she's been keeping it under wraps this week and experimenting with it - letting the forehand do most of the meaningful damage.

Tomorrow the mighty backhand sword will clang against the biggest, baddest shield on the block.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts