Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 251 Posts

· Registered
19,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tennis-Henin-Hardenne targets world number one ranking

By Matthew Cronin

CARLSBAD, California, July 28 (Reuters) - French Open champion Justine Henin-Hardenne is planning an assault on Serena Williams's world number one ranking.

The Belgian, seeded three at this week's Acura Classic here, told Reuters on Monday that Williams knew she was one of the few players on the WTA Tour with enough self-belief to consistently challenge her.

"Serena doesn't feel comfortable that I think I can beat her," said Henin-Hardenne. "It's hard for her that a player like me, not so strong and tall, can beat these types of (powerful) players.

"She knows I believe in my chances and she doesn't like it, that's for sure. My goal is to be number one but the important thing is doing things every day to be number one."

Williams had won four successive grand slam events when Henin-Hardenne beat the American in the semi-finals of the French Open in a controversial match last month.

The world number one was in tears after the contest as she accused her opponent of "lying and fabricating."

Williams was angry Henin-Hardenne did not intervene when the umpire mistakenly refused the American the right to replay her first serve at 4-2, 30-0 in the third set of a 6-2 4-6 7-5 defeat.

SPECIAL SITUATION

"You can say a lot of these things but there was an umpire and everybody started to be aggressive about this match with Serena and me against each other," said Henin-Hardenne. "It was a special situation.

"Serena has to accept sometimes she can lose. She wanted to win the French Open so much. Don't tell me one point changed the tournament."

Williams took revenge by trouncing the 21-year-old in straight sets in the Wimbledon semi-finals.

The two players could again meet in the last four of this week's event, which is being played on hard courts.

For the first time in her five-year career, Henin-Hardenne believes she can do well at next month's U.S. Open, the only grand slam where she has failed to reach the semi-finals.

"I'm pretty motivated," she said. "I've always lost in the fourth round of the U.S. Open.

"It's just amazing that I haven't even made the quarters. It's one of my goals to win the U.S. Open."

Henin-Hardenne plays Greece's Eleni Daniilidou in the second round at the Acura Classic.

· Registered
2,680 Posts
Knizzle said:
"She knows I believe in my chances and she doesn't like it, that's for sure. My goal is to be number one but the important thing is doing things every day to be number one."
Does she realize her record against Serena on hardcourt? ah well, It's good to have faith in yourself. Good for you Justine.

· Registered
6,762 Posts
Oooo I'm just waiting for the anti justine sentiment to start rolling in. For the record as a williams fan its not that justine feels she can be number one or that she can beat serena that makes me dislike her, its the fact that she presumes to speak for serena and presumes to know what serena feels. So for the record Justine sucks.

Also even serena stated that that one point didn't change the match. She said it showed poor sportsmanship and a decidely lack of class for justine not to own up to what she did. and a lie of omission is still a lie.

Also what is justine doing trying to fool anyone with that "not so strong" crap? She's plenty strong. She rips the ball on her serve and her ground strokes! This napoleon complex is getting old fast. "oh poopr me I'm so small, I'm so tiny, have pity... the other girls are so big and strong...whimper..." :rolleyes:

Bring on the hard courts and the serena and justine rivalry! :lol:

· Registered
19,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Knizzle said:

"Serena doesn't feel comfortable that I think I can beat her," said Henin-Hardenne. "It's hard for her that a player like me, not so strong and tall, can beat these types of (powerful) players.
Did Serena tell Henin this?? Did she confide in Henin that it bothers her for Henin to have confidence to beat her, and that she has a problem with a small player to beat her?? Has Henin ever heard of Martina Hingis??

[OUOTE]"She knows I believe in my chances and she doesn't like it, that's for sure. My goal is to be number one but the important thing is doing things every day to be number one."[/QUOTE]

She is trying to make Serena out to be an insecure basketcase.

"You can say a lot of these things but there was an umpire and everybody started to be aggressive about this match with Serena and me against each other," said Henin-Hardenne. "It was a special situation.

"Serena has to accept sometimes she can lose. She wanted to win the French Open so much. Don't tell me one point changed the tournament."
It's not losing, it's how Serena lost. Serena is not a loser. She wants to win everything which is the right attitude to have.

Williams took revenge by trouncing the 21-year-old in straight sets in the Wimbledon semi-finals.

The two players could again meet in the last four of this week's event, which is being played on hard courts.

For the first time in her five-year career, Henin-Hardenne believes she can do well at next month's U.S. Open, the only grand slam where she has failed to reach the semi-finals.

"I'm pretty motivated," she said. "I've always lost in the fourth round of the U.S. Open.

"It's just amazing that I haven't even made the quarters. It's one of my goals to win the U.S. Open."

We'll see Justine, but you have to win the matches.

It's good for Henin to be so confident, but what she is doing in this article is downright trash-talking. Serena could never get away with this just like she couldn't get away with holding up her hand. I see Henin is getting another free pass.

· Registered
6,762 Posts
The enfant terrible sure has a big mouth doesn't she? She must be psychic to know what serena thinks and feels. Its so funny that serena never presumes to know what justine feels or knows. Maybe shes trying some media gamesmanship to get to serena, a sort of media "hand" act.

· Registered
3,472 Posts
Me thinks Justine is getting a little obsessed with Serena. Can anyone say JCap? :cool:

· Registered
6,762 Posts
True justine is giving serena a challenge....on clay. Can she beat her on any other surface? Serena has beaten Justine on clay so we know she can beat her on any surface. What about justine?

Go Glamazon take her out the enfant terrible in san diego! that is if you dont pull out. :p

· Registered
2,787 Posts
Geez its not only Serena that can beat her on a hardcourt. Theres Venus, Kim, Lindsay, Jennifer who can beat her. She thinks just because she's small we should pitty her what ever. This isn't clay!!! Look what happened to you at Wimbledon geez, where you have a better chance. But on a hardcourt plz.

· Registered
20,884 Posts
Williams fans, you shouldn't worry about what Justine has to say about being able to beat Serena. She is on the hardcourt now and the last time I checked, she was embarrased by Chanda Rubin, someone who is ranked lower than her and she should have beaten. It could happen, but I don't expect her to win a title on the North American hardcourts this year, especially if she has to face either Williams sister en route to a title.

· Registered
2,787 Posts
Hurley said:
Justine has beaten Serena recently. Actually twice this year. Double what Serena's given her.

So...no, I don't think anyone will say "JCap." :cool:
That was on CLAY Justines best surface! but on a harcourt look what Serena did to her at Wimbledon...

· Registered
2,680 Posts
Hurley said:
Justine has beaten Serena recently. Actually twice this year. Double what Serena's given her.
The clay season is over. It's hardcourt season! whoooo ;)

Again I'm happy Justine has confindence. We shall see If her confidence carrys on court. ::rubs hands together:: :p

· Veelieve!!!
33,802 Posts
I usually do not tape Serena's matches unless she's playing my Vee :), but for some reason I have the wimby semi final on tape...I absolutely love it . Serena needs to watch that match for motivation everytime she has to play Justine -- then again a good friend reminded me that justine's mouth is enough motivation :tape:

· Registered
7,821 Posts
Cybelle Darkholme said:
Also even serena stated that that one point didn't change the match. She said it showed poor sportsmanship and a decidely lack of class for justine not to own up to what she did. and a lie of omission is still a lie.
like when Serena didn't tell the umpire that the ball was in, oh wait, Serena can hide things, because it's Serena it's just a game, but if someone does it to Serena, OMG, they are liars, cheaters, murderers and god knows what else

:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 251 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.