Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like Amelie proved that at her best she could Kill Martina on any court (minus being young, and injured) I think that Justine would squash the serve of Martina Hingis and move into a 6-4 6-3 win on any court!

Justine is fast and fitter than Martina ever was and her serve is much bigger.

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
leszcd2 said:
Just like Amelie proved that at her best she could Kill Martina on any court (minus being young, and injured) I think that Justine would squash the serve of Martina Hingis and move into a 6-4 6-3 win on any court!

Justine is fast and fitter than Martina ever was and her serve is much bigger.
When did amelie "prove" that?

I think this a is a totally useless topic, but if you held a gun to my head, I'd say Hingis in straight sets on anything but clay, where it's a pick 'em.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
It is a shame that Henin and Hingis never had a match up! I would put my money on the 1997 Hingis...she was so skilled and supremely confident, beating her was no easy feat!

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
Mrs. Peel said:
It is a shame that Henin and Hingis never had a match up! I would put my money on the 1997 Hingis...she was so skilled and supremely confident, beating her was no easy feat!
they did play, actually. Twice in 2000. Martina won easily both times.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Without a doubt Martina Hingis of 1997 would destroy Henin of 2003.

People are acting Like Justine is dominating the sport or something... this is still the same kid who needed gamesmenship and a racial crowd to hold a trophy.

Reactions: Infiniti2001

·
Registered
14,737 Posts
Tough say, and it would depend on what surface the game was to be played on. While Martina has a creme puff serve, and was a little chubby back then, she did seem to master nearly ever surface (except clay) that she crossed in 1997. But, ultimately I would have to give the edge to Justine Henin, no matter what court it was to be played on. She just has more game than Hingis did in 1997.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
In 1997 Hingis serve was actually faster and she would beat Henin with consistency. Henin still makes alot of errors compared to Hingis.

Henin has to do more on all surfaces and she has to win some more slams and make it to many more finals to even be compared to Hingis of 1997.

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
Martina 1997 winner of 3 slams... for sure i`ll pick her

·
Banned
303 Posts
Henin became good because she developed a game to combat the Williamses. Hingis did not have that kind of pace in mind while developing her game.

Henin is a reaction to the Williamses, so I agree with the previous poster who said that this is a pointless argument.

Overall, Hingis is definitely a 2nd team ALL-TIME-ALL-STAR. With Graf, Navratilova, etc on the first team. Henin is up to now a one-Slam winner.

Henin could definitely challenge the 97 Hingis. Hingis was good, but she has not proven that her game could stand the test of several generations of players.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
2,109 Posts
Hmm...On clay...that would be interesting. However I don't think Henin possesses enough "power" to really push Hingis off the court.

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
disposablehero said:
Martina was already 40 years old in 1997. Justine would thrash her.
LOL, always impeccable timing. :)

I'd take Hingis on hardcourts but Justine on clay or grass. This brings me to the attention that I think Hingis was really underrated on hardcourts. She had some record at the Aus-US Opens.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Its not even a comparison! Hingis could handle Justine on all surfaces. Clay would be more difficult, but I still think Martina would have the edge. People often bag Martina's Wimbledon Record but it is only relatively poor compared to her impeccable record at the other majors where she didn't fall before the semifinals between the 1996 US Open and 2002 Australian Open. She was a champion at the All England Club in 1997 and in 1996,1998 and 2000 she lost to the eventual champion. In fact in Venus' 20 match winning streak at Wimby Hingis was the only one who even looked like beating her. So apart from when she was incapacitated she was very effective on grass :D

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
Hingis would beat Justine on every surface IMO, with the most trouble on clay and grass. Hingis is/was a more superior tactician than Justine, and in 1997 she was fast and more powerful.

·
Registered
18,409 Posts
Dawn Marie said:
In 1997 Hingis serve was actually faster and she would beat Henin with consistency. Henin still makes alot of errors compared to Hingis.

Henin has to do more on all surfaces and she has to win some more slams and make it to many more finals to even be compared to Hingis of 1997.
Most ignorant comment of the day! Are you serious? Someone's talent and ability to defeat another is now based on how many other Grand Slams they haven't won?

Just like how Justine has defeated Serena without having to win a GS, Justine doesn't need any more GS titles to defeat the Hingis of 1997. I love Martina, but I think Justine is just a more complete player now. You must really hate Justine to even say that Hingis has a better and faster serve than Justine of now.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts