Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
43,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...to prove that she isn't just a clay courter. She needs to beat Clijsters in the final, because she has never beaten Kim on hard courts before. I think this would do wonders for her confidence, especially going into the US Open.

· Registered
8,445 Posts
I don't really agree. Clijsters is too strong on hard courts.
Henin is still improving her game on hard court. If she reaches the final it will be very good. Of course she will need a win over Clijsters on hard courts too proove she could win the US open, but not yet.

· Registered
43,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bcoene said:
I don't really agree. Clijsters is too strong on hard courts.
Henin is still improving her game on hard court. If she reaches the final it will be very good. Of course she will need a win over Clijsters on hard courts too proove she could win the US open, but not yet.
And I disagree. Reaching the finals, her toughest opponent would have been Dementieva (she plays the Likhovtseva/Kuznestova winner in the SF).

· Registered
8,445 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
And I disagree. Reaching the finals, her toughest opponent would have been Dementieva (she plays the Likhovtseva/Kuznestova winner in the SF).
I understand what you mean, but Clijsters is still too much. Let's start with Davenport, Capriati and Mauresmo. She didn't beat them yet on US hardcourts. But I know she can.

· Registered
11,079 Posts
I don't think it would change anything because she would have to beat only one top player.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
If she is going to beat Kim, this could be the week. Kim is coming off a win last week, and she is playing singles and doubles here. It will be hard for her to be fresh in the final...I don't know how she is going to play for 2 more weeks!

· Registered
13,564 Posts
Kim won tournaments without beating TOPplayers or only 1 in the final (compare Momo her road to the final and Kim's in rome for example) so imo it doesn't matter who she beats.
Yesterday Dementieva was a super hard court player .. untill she lost to Justine. Petrova was even a better player than Elena untill .. she was beaten by Justine ... if Justine plays the final she alreadyhad a great tournament!

· Registered
43,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not saying it the title itself would be big because she beat only 1 top player. I just think MENTALLY going into the US Open, KNOWING that she has beat Clijsters on hard courts would be a boost for her. Especially with Jennifer-Seles-Venus-Serena on the sidelines right now.

· Registered
8,445 Posts
jenglisbe said:
If she is going to beat Kim, this could be the week. Kim is coming off a win last week, and she is playing singles and doubles here. It will be hard for her to be fresh in the final...I don't know how she is going to play for 2 more weeks!
I don't think Kim will be really tired this week already. Maybe next week or the week afterwards, or in the second week of the US Open (let's hope not).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.