Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Belgium's Henin Denies Doping Insinuations
Wed September 10, 2003

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Justine Henin-Hardenne vigorously denied insinuations that she was doped when she beat Belgian rival Kim Clijsters at the U.S. Open last week.
Henin-Hardenne told reporters upon her arrival at Brussels airport from the United States that the only secret of her success was hard work.

"I have never been tempted by doping," she was quoted as telling reporters in the daily Le Soir Wednesday. "My only doping is work. I am ready to undergo whatever test, wherever, whenever to prove that my body is clean.

"I do not take any product, whatever they might be, apart from the water and other energy drinks prepared by the WTA," she added.

Henin-Hardenne has now won two grand slams, both at the expense of world number one Clijsters in the final.

On her return to Belgium, she was received by fans as well as reporters anxious to get her reaction to comments made by Clijsters's father Leo about her apparent weight and muscle gain.

PHYSICAL TRANSFORMATION

Leo and other pundits were quoted in the local media as saying her physical transformation was unusual. None of them mentioned doping.

The growing tensions between the two players -- who have previously declared themselves as friends -- and their entourage also highlight the linguistic and cultural divide in this small European country of 10 million people.

Henin-Hardenne is from the francophone south, while Clijsters is from the Dutch-speaking north.

Henin-Hardenne's coach, Carlos Rodriguez, was quoted in the local press as accusing Leo Clijsters of spreading rumors out of jealousy.

"In Belgium, what we are trying to do is to start a fight between these two girls," he said.

"I swear on the heads of my two sons that she has never taken doping products," he said. "In Belgium, we want absolutely to create a fight between the two girls.

"Justine is better than Kim and will win more often than her," he said. "In six months, Justine has become a different player, a lot stronger. I know that she works very hard but she is not the only one. All players, including Kim, work on their muscular force."

Her victory over Clijsters last weekend was remarkable.

Henin-Hardenne had returned to the court after spending hours in an infirmary bed with an intravenous drip in her arm.

She had been suffering from exhaustion, cramps and dehydration following a three-set semi-final win over Jennifer Capriati.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i can't understand how it is possible to think justin used doping...do we see her???and what should we say of serena,jen and amelie???
come on,these r only bullshits!!!

·
Registered
30,738 Posts
For the record, here's what Lei said: "Henin's muscles have doubled and her right arm is now the size of Serena's. That's what made the difference, because technically she's always been superior."

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'm not sure whether Lei is as bad as some people try to make him look like.

I think it's more the Flemish press who has to come up with some shit to explain why Kim-the-goddess has now lost her edge over Justine...

·
Keeper of Secrets
9,040 Posts
Lindsayfan said:
i think they should bann all players's parents to make interviews :rolleyes:
and coaches...

They can say what they like (even though it's quite frustrating to read it) because it won't change the fact that Justine is a 2x GS CHAMPION!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Beggin' Beguine said:
For the record, here's what Lei said: "Henin's muscles have doubled and her right arm is now the size of Serena's. That's what made the difference, because technically she's always been superior."
yeah, muscles have doubled :lol:
He also said that Dokic was doing also power training but had not this results :rolleyes:
But it's common with Lei, he says something and after says that the press put it out of proportion.
Remember the incident after San Diego, Kim talks to the press and then said the media blown out of proportion.
Kim is so nice, my ass :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
The one who refuses to accolade Justine after Rosmalen 2001 and blame bad rebounds for her loss.
It was hard for her to lose when you so much say you like to play on grass and than lose to a "so-called" clay courter :p :p

·
Registered
447 Posts
Justine shouldn't have to be denying anything - she should be free to enjoy and savour the moment without such negativity hanging in the air.

But is true that it's a mark of success when the shit starts flying in your direction...

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
danra said:
Justine shouldn't have to be denying anything - she should be free to enjoy and savour the moment without such negativity hanging in the air.

But is true that it's a mark of success when the shit starts flying in your direction...
I think they trew a microphone in her face, so she had to say something. if she had said no comment than the press had written she doesn't deny it. it's true :eek:

·
Registered
30,738 Posts
Spudrsca, it IS blown out of proportion! These people were asked to make comments, then their comments are being used as the main focus of a news story! That's not what they had in mind.

·
Registered
953 Posts
This whole thing is so sad! It completely spoiled Justine's title. On the news they were only talking about the insinuations of Filip Dewulf, Callens' coach Vandeven and Lei Clijsters instead of her return to Belgium after her great victory! Really sad! :mad:
Now the apologies start coming... Filip Dewulf wrote an open letter in which he apologies to Justine for his remarks.
I'll post it in Dutch for now (maybe I can translate it later, or if someone else finds the time to translate it sooner...)

Justine, Ik wil jou en je entourage mijn excuses aanbieden. Ik heb nooit gewild dat mijn woorden een schaduw zouden werpen op je fantastische overwinning in New York. Ik ben naïef geweest en heb me verkeken op de impact van mijn uitspraken.
Tientallen keren hebben de persjongens dit jaar mijn mening al gevraagd over jou en Kim. Ook deze keer heb ik de pers te woord gestaan over een materie die zeer delicaat ligt. Ik heb op de vragen geantwoord vanuit mijn buik in plaats van uit mijn verstand. Waarschijnlijk had ik mijn woorden preciezer moeten kiezen of nog beter mijn mond helemaal gesloten moeten houden.
Ik had nooit gedacht dat mijn verhaal zo een eigen leven zou beginnen leiden. Nochtans had ik met mijn ervaring, ik zit nu zelf in de branche, veel beter moeten weten dat de journalisten erop zouden springen. Nooit is de gedachte aan doping zelfs maar door mijn hoofd gegaan, ik alludeerde eerder op supplementen als creatine, om je lichamelijke metamorfose te verklaren. Maar zelfs die allusie was er teveel aan. Ik heb een grote, professionele fout gemaakt en voel me er niet goed bij.
Je reactie op Zaventem was erg volwassen en pleit voor je mentale stabiliteit. Het antwoord van Carlos daarentegen kon ik minder appreciëren. Dat ik mijn persoonlijke carrière opnieuw zou willen lanceren met mijn opmerkingen, laat ik geheel voor zijn rekening. Zelfs dat ik mentaal zwak ben -wat heeft dat met mijn uitlatingen te maken- heb ik geen problemen mee.
Maar dat ik lui zou geweest zijn op training, laat ik me niet zeggen. Misschien heeft mijn houding dat vroeger laten uitschijnen, maar mijn collega's, coaches en conditietrainer zullen dit zeker niet onderschrijven. Carlos begeeft zich hier op hetzelfde glad ijs waarop ik me heb begeven. We doen uitspraken over zaken die we niet met onze eigen ogen hebben gezien. En dat is fundamenteel verkeerd. Dat heb ik nu wel begrepen.
Ik beschouw hierbij deze polemiek als gesloten en wens je het allerbeste voor je verdere carrière.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Beggin' Beguine said:
Spudrsca, it IS blown out of proportion! These people were asked to make comments, then their comments are being used as the main focus of a news story! That's not what they had in mind.
Well, I can admit it when it happens once but when it happens very often :cool:
They know how the press act, and if they wanted to avoid conflicts, they should have shut up or talk of something else :cool:

·
Registered
609 Posts
We shouldn't blame the people who made these declarations (well yeah, it was not gracious, but everyone is entitled to his opinion)

However, once again it looks like above this so-called conflict between Kim's and Justine's clan, it's another opportunity to denigrate the Walloons: yeah, if a Walloon is better than a Flemish, she certainly cheats!
Does it sound unreal, this "Flemish conspiracy"?

Maybe for people who are not aware of how some Francophones are being treated. I had several discussions with Flemish friends, they still cannot believe what some Francophones have to endure, I had to show them proofs of the real situation, because of course there's no echo of that in the Flemish media...

Out of topic? You know, I have nothing against Flemish, but some people really don't have any idea of how Francophones are being treated by the Flemish politics/medias!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Here's the letter of Belgian ex-tennisplayer Filip Dewulf, who kind of started the whole thing...

Justine, I would like to apologize to you and team. I never wanted that my words overshadowed your amazing win in NY. I have been naïve and didn't think about the impact of my words.
Lots of times the press asked about my opinion on you and Kim this year. Also this time I talked to the press about something really delicate. I answered those questions from my heart and not from my head. I probably should have selected my words better or even better : shut up.

I never thought my story would go and live a life of its own. Though, with my experience (I'm a reporter myself now) I should have know the journalists would jump on it.
The thought of doping never even crossed my mind, I was more talking about supplements (like Creatine) to explain your physical changes. But I shouldn't even have done that. I made a huge, professional mistake and I don't feel good about it.

Your reaction at Zaventem (where Justine arrived in Belgium) was really mature and proves your mental stability.

Then he talks a bit about the reaction of Rodriguez (who called Dewulf mental weak and said he never worked hard for his career) on his story. Dewulf doesn't appreciate Rodriguez answer. (especially his accusations of being lazy)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the important is that kim remains the lovely girl we know and remains ditached by what her dad says and justine and her don't get involved in these stupid discussuions.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.