Tennis Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Henin and Clijsters Herald New Era for Women's Tennis
Mon Sep 8,12:17 PM ET Add Sports - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Pritha Sarkar

LONDON (Reuters) - When Justine Henin-Hardenne scrambled into the U.S. Open (news - web sites) final for a showdown with fellow Belgian Kim Clijsters it marked the first time that any country other than the U.S. has occupied the top two raking spots.

Reuters Photo

The all-Belgian finale not only guaranteed the small European nation its second grand slam title of the year but Henin's elevation to world number two status behind the top ranked Clijsters meant that the duo had firmly displaced the Americans from the summit.

The last time an American woman had not featured in the top two in the rankings was in 1997 when Switzerland's Martina Hingis (news) and Czech Jana Novotna (news) were at the helm.

While many critics argue the Belgian duo have benefited from the absence of the injured Williams sisters, Clijsters and French Open (news - web sites) champion Henin have simply made the most of the circumstances presented before them.

"I really don't think about the Williams sisters right now," Henin said after her 7-5 6-1 triumph over Clijsters at the U.S. Open Saturday.

"They've dominated the tour for so long and they're still great champions...both of them.

"Unfortunately they are injured right now so it is bad for the tour, it's bad for them and all the players.

"I don't know if they have to worry...I hope so."

Henin, it should be noted, has defeated Serena Williams (news - web sites) in two of their three meetings this year, including in the semi-final at Roland Garros.

Although Serena and Venus have been sidelined since they contested the Wimbledon (news - web sites) final in July, the siblings have only themselves to blame for their inability to stay on the top.

Choosing to enter fewer number of tournaments than their Belgian rivals, the Williamses have had fewer opportunities to rack up the points.

By the end of Wimbledon, while Venus and Serena had competed in six and seven events respectively, Clijsters and Henin, had both entered 11 tournaments, winning four each.

"Being number one reflects on the great season I've had so far. No one can take that away from me. It's something I'll always have on my resume," said Clijsters after she was crowned world number one last month following her sixth win of the season in Los Angeles.

CHANGING GUARD

While the women's game has witnessed a changing of the guard over the past four weeks, the men have already had three players sit on top of the pecking order this year.

Australia's Lleyton Hewitt had held a vice-like grip on the rankings coming into 2003 but he has since been superseded by both Andre Agassi (news) and French Open champion Juan Carlos Ferrero.

At the start of the year, Hewitt held a commanding 1090 points advantage over the second-ranked Agassi.

But after being usurped by the American at the Stella Artois Championships in June, Hewitt's season rapidly spun out of control over the remainder of the grasscourt season.

The 22-year-old was not only felled by Croatian giant Ivo Karlovic in the first round at Wimbledon but his inability to defend the title lost him a hefty 995 points.

He felt the full brunt of his shock defeat at the All England Club when he slipped from second to fifth once the rankings were updated after the conclusion of the tournament.

While Ferrero became Monday only the second Spaniard, after Carlos Moya (news), to rule men's tennis since the introduction of the rankings in 1973, Hewitt's miserable season was compounded even further after he slipped to seven.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
Henin and Clijsters Herald New Era for Women's Tennis
Mon Sep 8,12:17 PM ET Add Sports - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Pritha Sarkar

LONDON (Reuters) - When Justine Henin-Hardenne scrambled into the U.S. Open (news - web sites) final for a showdown with fellow Belgian Kim Clijsters it marked the first time that any country other than the U.S. has occupied the top two raking spots.

Reuters Photo

The all-Belgian finale not only guaranteed the small European nation its second grand slam title of the year but Henin's elevation to world number two status behind the top ranked Clijsters meant that the duo had firmly displaced the Americans from the summit.

The last time an American woman had not featured in the top two in the rankings was in 1997 when Switzerland's Martina Hingis (news) and Czech Jana Novotna (news) were at the helm.

While many critics argue the Belgian duo have benefited from the absence of the injured Williams sisters, Clijsters and French Open (news - web sites) champion Henin have simply made the most of the circumstances presented before them.

"I really don't think about the Williams sisters right now," Henin said after her 7-5 6-1 triumph over Clijsters at the U.S. Open Saturday.

"They've dominated the tour for so long and they're still great champions...both of them.

"Unfortunately they are injured right now so it is bad for the tour, it's bad for them and all the players.

"I don't know if they have to worry...I hope so."

Henin, it should be noted, has defeated Serena Williams (news - web sites) in two of their three meetings this year, including in the semi-final at Roland Garros.

Although Serena and Venus have been sidelined since they contested the Wimbledon (news - web sites) final in July, the siblings have only themselves to blame for their inability to stay on the top.

Choosing to enter fewer number of tournaments than their Belgian rivals, the Williamses have had fewer opportunities to rack up the points.

By the end of Wimbledon, while Venus and Serena had competed in six and seven events respectively, Clijsters and Henin, had both entered 11 tournaments, winning four each.

"Being number one reflects on the great season I've had so far. No one can take that away from me. It's something I'll always have on my resume," said Clijsters after she was crowned world number one last month following her sixth win of the season in Los Angeles.
:lol:

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
This writer is a Williams sisters critic. A couple of weeks ago, she wrote an article blaming the sisters for playing power tennis and causing so many players on the tour to be injured.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
i can't be stuffed reading the article but the belgians aren't starting a new era in tennis. it is still the williams era the only difference is that the belgians have caught up a bit of ground on the williams sisters. it's debateable but the injuries could be why they've caught up. i guess something that is always said about tennis is that when players get injured the tour still keeps going forward so everyone is improving while the injured player(s) aren';t improving due to the injury. as i said it is debatable. but don't take anyhting away from the belgians they are playing great tennis although i get bored watching kim as i think her style is quite boring, justine on the other hand has the variety and makes it exciting (in some matches).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.